Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo Or Big Single????

NO! what im saying is, if ur modifying ur slow ass honda civic, and dont want to put up with turbo lag, installing a sequential turbo set up isnt practical becuase its expensive, its more practical to let nitrous help you in the low rpms.

Originally posted by WasteG8
    NO! what im saying is, if ur modifying ur slow ass honda civic, and dont want to put up with turbo lag, installing a sequential turbo set up isnt practical becuase its expensive, its more practical to let nitrous help you in the low rpms.
    Or just put in two smaller turbos that are practically lagless anyway Again, I never mentioned anything about sequential turbos.

but the two smaller turbos wont be able to produce alot of boost, maybe like 10 psi at the most.

Re: Twin Turbo Or Big Single????

Originally posted by ludi_konj
    boys wat u think is beta for drag car setups...... my view is that a twin turbo setup is beta... a smaller turbo for lower rpm boost and a bigger turbo for high range rpm.
    hmmmmm well most of ma m8's think that a big single is good for a drag......but i think u shud get a twin turbo...besides wat car u gonna fit it into? the brand and model? oh yeah...y dun u get a nos?

nitrous can get expensive, expesially when u use it alot, it isnt cheap to refill bottles.

how many of you have ever tuned a twin turbo/single turbo w/N2O/ or a single turbo because with statments like "A twin turbo set up is harder to tune, and not as reliable as a single turbo/nitrous system." id think youd know what your talking about, so ill start form the top...
    the original question:
    "boys wat u think is beta for drag car setups...... my view is that a twin turbo setup is beta... a smaller turbo for lower rpm boost and a bigger turbo for high range rpm." what is better for a strait drag setup is 2 equally sized turbos in tandem, the reason for this is the 2 turbos will have better flow than a bigger single turbo and will spool faster, in a drag setup you dont have to warry about lag because you launch it in the high rpm powerband it burns your clutch faster but with some good slicks you get a better launch and peak power from the twin tandem turbos, as for the bigger/smaller turbo idea you have to have an actuating system because with a strait manifold to the different sized turbos would result in the the smaller one being "overpowered" increasing intake charge temp and keeping the larger turbo form spooling effectivly, but with an actuating system to keep the exhauset gasses directed to the right turbo at the right rpm it would be effective.
    next: "ive heard that a single turbo is better, with nitrous adding power at lower rpm. A twin turbo set up is harder to tune, and not as reliable as a single turbo/nitrous system."
    i also whould like to know where you "heard" this, it is true using N2O to spool the turbo is effective i see no reason for it to be more effective on a single turbo setup than a tandem turbo setup or a sequential setup... now have you ever tuned a twin turbo car? or driven and repaired a twin turbo car for an extended amount of time? tell me how difficult it is to tune a twin turbo car compared to a single turbo car, ive tuned both and if you know what your doing its not to hard but knowing what your doing is a must. i can see where tuning a car with 2 turbos(or trying to tune a car at all for that matter...) can be scary for someone such as yourself but fear not! someday you'll realize 2 turbos can be your friend and can work together.
    "Apparently if you set two in parralell, A small on and a large one, the small one will provide low doen torue with the second one coming on line later to give you big numbers up top." there has to be an actuating system for above mentioned reasons
    "In the RX7 it wasn't set up well though, and as such doesn't work properly." really? id like you to design a better sequential turbo system on a 1.3 liter engine and make 200hp per liter with great low rpm grunt. the problem with the RX-7 turbo system isnt in the setup but the manufacturers cost effective target for the car which resulted in cutting corners with the materials and assembly(vaccum lines that cracked with age, and not securing them properly which popped of and crippled the system) but about an hour worth of time and less than $50 worth of parts you can fix that and spice up the engine bay with your pick of colored lines and some zip ties
    "for a drag setup single turbo is better.... if u look at most the supras well atleast hear in the us alott of the 10sec or lower supras runn single turbo setups" the majority isnt always right, the reason single turbos are so popular is because of their cost effectivness, its easyer to buy one turbo than 2 for twice the price and then have to worry about possably fabricating a custom manifold, plus theres WAY more single turbo kits on the market
    "ha! c i was rite" not quite...
    "yes but how many of those are sequencial turbo set ups? i guarentee u the majority of them, if not all of them, are 2 large turbos, both spooling out boost threw the rpm range." thats the first time you brought up a sequential turbo setup
    "Altho sequential turbos are a good idea, they dont work very well for racing applications" actually the work quite well for autoX and road coarses
    who the hell puts twin turbos on a civic... it simply isnt cost effective tandem or sequential
    "but the two smaller turbos wont be able to produce alot of boost, maybe like 10 psi at the most." again not true, 2 smaller turbos working in tandem can produce more boost than a larger turbo can by itself, spool faster, and flow more
    "hmmmmm well most of ma m8's think that a big single is good for a drag......but i think u shud get a twin turbo...besides wat car u gonna fit it into? the brand and model? oh yeah...y dun u get a nos?" shut up, im usually not mean but typing in slang is like... talking with your mouth full, you look stupid and no one can understand you
    "nitrous can get expensive, expesially when u use it alot, it isnt cheap to refill bottles." personally i dont like the stuff, i like power that you can feel all the time, and that you dont run out of...
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Originally posted by megotmea7
    how many of you have ever tuned a twin turbo/single turbo w/N2O/ or a single turbo because with statments like "A twin turbo set up is harder to tune, and not as reliable as a single turbo/nitrous system." id think youd know what your talking about, so ill start form the top...
    the original question:
    "boys wat u think is beta for drag car setups...... my view is that a twin turbo setup is beta... a smaller turbo for lower rpm boost and a bigger turbo for high range rpm." what is better for a strait drag setup is 2 equally sized turbos in tandem, the reason for this is the 2 turbos will have better flow than a bigger single turbo and will spool faster, in a drag setup you dont have to warry about lag because you launch it in the high rpm powerband it burns your clutch faster but with some good slicks you get a better launch and peak power from the twin tandem turbos, as for the bigger/smaller turbo idea you have to have an actuating system because with a strait manifold to the different sized turbos would result in the the smaller one being "overpowered" increasing intake charge temp and keeping the larger turbo form spooling effectivly, but with an actuating system to keep the exhauset gasses directed to the right turbo at the right rpm it would be effective.
    next: "ive heard that a single turbo is better, with nitrous adding power at lower rpm. A twin turbo set up is harder to tune, and not as reliable as a single turbo/nitrous system."
    i also whould like to know where you "heard" this, it is true using N2O to spool the turbo is effective i see no reason for it to be more effective on a single turbo setup than a tandem turbo setup or a sequential setup... now have you ever tuned a twin turbo car? or driven and repaired a twin turbo car for an extended amount of time? tell me how difficult it is to tune a twin turbo car compared to a single turbo car, ive tuned both and if you know what your doing its not to hard but knowing what your doing is a must. i can see where tuning a car with 2 turbos(or trying to tune a car at all for that matter...) can be scary for someone such as yourself but fear not! someday you'll realize 2 turbos can be your friend and can work together.
    "Apparently if you set two in parralell, A small on and a large one, the small one will provide low doen torue with the second one coming on line later to give you big numbers up top." there has to be an actuating system for above mentioned reasons
    "In the RX7 it wasn't set up well though, and as such doesn't work properly." really? id like you to design a better sequential turbo system on a 1.3 liter engine and make 200hp per liter with great low rpm grunt. the problem with the RX-7 turbo system isnt in the setup but the manufacturers cost effective target for the car which resulted in cutting corners with the materials and assembly(vaccum lines that cracked with age, and not securing them properly which popped of and crippled the system) but about an hour worth of time and less than $50 worth of parts you can fix that and spice up the engine bay with your pick of colored lines and some zip ties
    "for a drag setup single turbo is better.... if u look at most the supras well atleast hear in the us alott of the 10sec or lower supras runn single turbo setups" the majority isnt always right, the reason single turbos are so popular is because of their cost effectivness, its easyer to buy one turbo than 2 for twice the price and then have to worry about possably fabricating a custom manifold, plus theres WAY more single turbo kits on the market
    "ha! c i was rite" not quite...
    "yes but how many of those are sequencial turbo set ups? i guarentee u the majority of them, if not all of them, are 2 large turbos, both spooling out boost threw the rpm range." thats the first time you brought up a sequential turbo setup
    "Altho sequential turbos are a good idea, they dont work very well for racing applications" actually the work quite well for autoX and road coarses
    who the hell puts twin turbos on a civic... it simply isnt cost effective tandem or sequential
    "but the two smaller turbos wont be able to produce alot of boost, maybe like 10 psi at the most." again not true, 2 smaller turbos working in tandem can produce more boost than a larger turbo can by itself, spool faster, and flow more
    "hmmmmm well most of ma m8's think that a big single is good for a drag......but i think u shud get a twin turbo...besides wat car u gonna fit it into? the brand and model? oh yeah...y dun u get a nos?" shut up, im usually not mean but typing in slang is like... talking with your mouth full, you look stupid and no one can understand you
    "nitrous can get expensive, expesially when u use it alot, it isnt cheap to refill bottles." personally i dont like the stuff, i like power that you can feel all the time, and that you dont run out of...
    i kinda agree with u on this 1

LMAO@^ aperently you didnt read it all the way thru you just agree cause you dont want to be wrong and look like the jackass that you are

Oh man, this guy is just digging his hole deeper and deeper. As soon as someone who actually knows what he is talking about, r34_296kw does a complete 180 and agrees with him. Hell, I'd be surprised if he even read the damn thing.

Too bad he didn't flat-out agree when the rest of us told him that twin turbos would be overall more reliable, cost-effective, and trackworthy.

My respect for r34_s96kw has dropped entirely through the floor. Thanks megotmea7 for a refreshingly good post on these boards.

LMAO@^ aperently you didnt read it all the way thru you just agree cause you dont want to be wrong and look like the jackass that you are
    at least im a beta jackass den u

you got me there...

Not a bad post mega, but give me a sec to defend myself. When I stated that sequential set ups aren't good for racing at that time we were specifically discussing drag racing. I don't know of a single extremely successful drag car which still relies on this system.

In regards to the RX-7, what I said is still true, regardless of HP/L production in the 13-B turbo, or my ability to compete with the manufacturer. Many owners had problems with the sequential turbos, either with the small or the large one not spooling up at the correct time. I never found out if it was a tuning or induction problem or whatever, but nevertheless the problem existed and it was enough to stop me from buying one.

In absolute terms, single turbos, for drag applications, nitrous or not, simply are not capable of producing as extreme a result as twin turbos. Singles are often simpler, potentially cheaper and still can run very well, especially on 4 cyclinder motors, but the ultimate result comes from twins, as the Japanese drag scene proves.

"Not a bad post mega" ty

"13-B turbo" also known as the 13b-t or the 13b-t2 came in the turboII 2nd gen RX-7's and had a simple single turbo setup the 13b-REW is the twin sequentialy turbo'd engine in the 3rd gen RX-7's and the one you and i are refering to.

"Many owners had problems with the sequential turbos" true

"either with the small or the large one not spooling up at the correct time" not true, the twin sequential turbos on the 13b-REW are identical on facing fore the other aft, ass to ass so to speak, the primary and secondary turbos work independent form each other. the primary is spooling from idle till about 4500rpm from there the secondary turbo(which is on a pre-spool routine till then) begines to come online and there is a temperary power dip till it gets up to speed, after it does you have the benefit of the same boost(12psi) but twice the flow from the two turbos working together creating the peak power while the primary provides the low end grunt and exelent response in the lower rpm's. a cracked or disconected vaccum line can stop that switchover from happening resulting in a problem

you got me there...
    i sure did

I agree. Why not start with a bigger and better motor that doesnt require all of those modifications
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information