Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why America won't buy a Smart

According to official figures the Smart just beats the Jetta ?
    True that you're comparing your actual with a theoretical figure , so that 2-3mpg difference could be swung either way
    BUT if you need the space the Jetta brings to carry lots of stuff around in the boot (trunk) or 3 passengers then it definitely is not a good fit
    What does surprise me is WHY the Smart does so badly in US standard tests versus RoW and UK experience. Would love to know if anyone's compared the instructions on the EPA tests to see if they in some way skew things -- eg from mid speed in top WOT ? Or did Smart do (have to do ) something that screwed it from it's RoW capability ? )
    Anyone ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Most EPA number is lower than their EU or even Canadian equiv....TBH I actually found EPA number to be relatively more accurate in most cases. EPA does seem to skew more with electric/hybrid though.

Also to note, OEMs supply the number and test results to EPA. EPA just ensure their test procedure conforms to the standard. But the trick is in the allowable "fudge factor" to account for drag/rolling resistance and whatnot. And that is where OEMs tend to be more liberal and the number tend to inflate more. Though recently with the debacle with Hyundai and Ford's number being questioned, they might dial those back a bit...

It is interesting to hear my friend talking about this since he works for a company that does 3rd party benchmarking for OEs on competitors....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I sort of agree, for the mileage it gives, one could do better, even here in the US. It's also sort of an awkward feeling car to drive, the "automatic" transmission takes a while to engage the clutch when first moving, and the bottom-hung pedals probably feel weird to folks today who have no experience driving with those sorts of pedals.

Most people who wanted economy already had cars like the Echo/Yaris, TDI VW's, and the Prius around which give equivalent efficiency but none of the space drawbacks.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    I sort of agree, for the mileage it gives, one could do better, even here in the US. It's also sort of an awkward feeling car to drive, the "automatic" transmission takes a while to engage the clutch when first moving, and the bottom-hung pedals probably feel weird to folks today who have no experience driving with those sorts of pedals.

Most people who wanted economy already had cars like the Echo/Yaris, TDI VW's, and the Prius around which give equivalent efficiency but none of the space drawbacks.
    This so-called transmission is the worst automatic gearbox I've ever had the (dis)pleasure to drive. The car is also very small, it has annoying mirrors, rides hard and is very expensive.

Any conventional city car gives it a thrashing on pretty much everything.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think the price and the (lack of) fuel efficiency are the only two nails needed in its coffin. They are also ugly as hell.
    It also only has two seats. Whether people need more than two seats is a moot point; they want more than two and don't have to pay anything extra for the pleasure.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I think the price and the (lack of) fuel efficiency are the only two nails needed in its coffin. They are also ugly as hell.
    It also only has two seats. Whether people need more than two seats is a moot point; they want more than two and don't have to pay anything extra for the pleasure.
    I agree with the both of you- the Smart isn't all that fuel efficient, and for the space penalty you're not getting much car for your money.

I'm surprised the Fiat 500 is selling decently well as I see it as just a slightly larger Smart car.

The Fiat at least has two seats in the back, if you can call them that.

It takes premium. The diesel engine is an unrefined piece of crap. The car is priced out to lunch and of very low quality overall and you deal with Benz to service it if under warranty.

A small two seat car can work (probably not in Canusa), but this is far, far from it.

The Fiat at least has two seats in the back, if you can call them that.
    That makes all the difference.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Fiat looks better too.

Speaking of the Smart, though, there's a local homebuilder here who tools around in his Smart Cabrio. He's a pretty big guy, so he looks, shall we say, a bit silly in it.

I would rather not have back seats and more room to back my seat up in the 500 and fit crap.

Those are not seats. Only deappendaged young children can fit in the back.

I'm sure you can remove the seats.

I'm sure you can remove the seats.
    At every car show, we always force my 6'4" friend in the backseat of the smallest cars.

The 500 never disappoints.

I had a friend in high school who was 6'6" and we did much the same thing. Folding him into the back seat of the other Mustang I drove at the time or my Mom's Beetle was quite a sight.

Personally, I think the iQ is a much better small car. It doesn't quite have the styling draw of 500 though...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information