Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mercedes McLaren road car

New Mercedes McLaren road car

From Road and Track:

"With the complettion of a new technology center in Woking, England, and the integration of the Mercedes-Benz SLR production line under the same roof as the Formula 1 program, McLaren and Mercedes are looking for a bigger return on their investment by producing several models instead of only one. As in F1, Mercedes' aim is to take on Ferrari with a new sports car slotted between the SLR McLaren and the Mercedes SL. This mid-engined car, codenamed P8, will compete with the Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini Gallardo when it comes to market in 2007 with an asking price somewhere between $175,000 and $225,000.
    The engine is a new normally aspirated 6.3-liter V-8 with four valves per cylinder. It will provide around 500 bhp and will also power AMG versions of Mercedes S-, SL-, CL-, and E-Class cars. With turbocharging, it could provide up to 700 bhp, leaving the field open for future derivatives of the P8. To keep costs in check, the plan calls for this engine to be mated to the new 7-speed twin-clutch transmission developed be Ricardo for the Chrysler ME Four-Twelve. The rear-drive P8 will use some components--like axles--from the next generation SL, while the interior will be unique to the P8, except for the seats, which will be adapted from the SLR.
    To compete with the F430, the target curb weight is about 2800 lb. The McLaren will be fabricated from carbon fiber, except for the aluminum subframe used to mount the engine.
    The P8 won't be the only new car built alongside the SLR at Woking. In addition to an SLR successor (codenamed C60, a front-engine project that features a 700-bhp turbo V-12), rumors are also swirling about another mid-engine super sports car to compete with the Bugatti Veyron. This car could have close to 1000 bhp and would probably share parts--such as the Ricardo 7-speed gearbox--with the P8 and ME Four-Twelve. This high-end super sports car will not appear before 2010.

I don't have a scanner so if anyone can get a picture I would apprieciate it. What are your thoughts on this?

i saw a pic of it in the new road and track. the front headlights look kinda like how mercedes version of the zonda's. definitly high power supercar tho. nothing really specific that you havent said tho, except its supposed to be......insanly awesomely cool and one HELL of an awesome supercar
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Actually it reminds me of a Mercedes flavored Carrera GT.

its very a very interesting car. looks like it has hints of so many other cars in there. cgt like side scoops, but in an enzo-like fashion (cgt shaped, but put on the car like they are on the enzo), and looks like it shares chassis' with the slr (not too much of a suprise) not too mention the rather cgt-like spoiler
    Last edited by CdocZ; 12-09-2004 at 07:24 PM. Reason: looked at pic again

uuuuuuhhhhh......wow, the pic of a mclaren mercedes p8 concept im looking at looks about as opposite that as possible. ill post a pic if i can

Quote Originally Posted by aNOBLEman
    The P8 won't be the only new car built alongside the SLR at Woking. In addition to an SLR successor (codenamed C60, a front-engine project that features a 700-bhp turbo V-12), rumors are also swirling about another mid-engine super sports car to compete with the Bugatti Veyron. This car could have close to 1000 bhp and would probably share parts--such as the Ricardo 7-speed gearbox--with the P8 and ME Four-Twelve. This high-end super sports car will not appear before 2010.

I don't have a scanner so if anyone can get a picture I would apprieciate it. What are your thoughts on this?
    There was a feint rumour that the P8 was to be scrapped last week, however, having heard first hand from McLaren on two seperate occasions that it will go ahead, I think it is nothing more than wishful thinking from Ferrari fans

P8, P9 and P10 apparently, which going by this article, and reports in the British press ages ago:
    P8 - F430 rival
    P9 - 575 rival
    P10 - Enzo/ CGT rival, but not quite as hardcore as the F1 was, which is a shame.

I'd also be interested in seeing the accompanying pictures.
    Thanks for all the fish

http://img122.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...picture7rf.jpg
    like i said. veeeerrrrry different

Well, both images are idle speculation, so I wouldn't worry about it either way.
    Thanks for all the fish

until we see spy pics or official confirmation of the looks, no artists impressions will be any use whatsoever.
    halo 2 - november 9

So true.

true. the pic i posted would be a good looking concept tho. hope they go thru with that one

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    true. the pic i posted would be a good looking concept tho. hope they go thru with that one
    i dont think its that nice...
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Looks pretty good for a concept because they are usually absolutely hideous but this design is quite appealing to my eye.

yeah. also, thats probably just general design. i dont think i know any car that had all the little defining details changed from the original concept

Thread Information