Thread: Bugatti Wimille ?

Bugatti Wimille ?

Does anyone have any information about the possibly upcoming Bugatti Wimille?

I've just read an interview of Thomas Bscher in this week's "l'auto-journal" where they show two pictures of a future front engined 2+2 "small" Bugatti, the Wimille (see Jean-Pierre Wimille)

Mr. Bscher states that it would cost approximately 100 000 € and that two to three thousands would be produced each year. Production should start by 2009, but we all know when the Veyron is going to be produced...

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner in working order and thus won't be able to attach those pictures.
    UCP biggest Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic & Mercedes CLK-GTR SuperSport fan

i my self love bugatti .....i cant wait till i see one ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bugatti Wimille 2009

Unfortunately I don't have any more information on the Wimille, but I have a link to the Bugattipage in France with the two pictures published in L'Auto-Journal no. 653, dated August 19, 2004:

http://www.bugattipage.com/newspics/wimille1.jpg
    http://www.bugattipage.com/newspics/wimille2.jpg

Enjoy the pics and I'll try to find out more and share it with you here.

The rendering reminds me a little of the BMW Z3 Coupe. It is very fast forward looking. The car is supposed to cost "only" 100.000 Euros, well at least it is a little more affordable than the Veyron. They are really working at it!
    In addition to the Bugatti T57 Atlantic spine in the back it has very pronounced back fenders just like one of the three original Atlantics ever built belonging to a French Collector with the name of Nicolas Seydoux in Paris. It is from 1937 and has little fins on the fenders (Chassis #: 57473). Here's a picture:

http://www.classicdriver.de/upload/i.../car_pop01.jpg

(The 75 at the end of the French licence plate stands for Paris. )

And there's another Bugatti Type 57 from a coachbuilder I can't identify that has three tailfins:

http://www.special-classics.com/images/bug005b5.jpg

I posted some more information on the three Buhatti Atlantics on the thread related to the Type 57 Atlantic if you're interested.
    Last edited by TIM; 10-13-2004 at 05:12 PM.

Ignoring the awful "smacked with a shovel" front end, similar to the style employed on the Morgan Aero 8, the general shape of that car is much more "Bugatti" than that poor excuse for a car, the Veryunlikely.

It has the classic long bonnet profile of 1920s sports cars.
    Thanks for all the fish

When can we expect it ? In 2115 ? I lost all hope for Bugatti and I hope they never make the damn Veyron it's fugly. This one looke a bit better but they have to change the damn name; Wimille ? That's just a stupid name.

Hey, lagonda,

cheer up! These are only design sketches. And we all know that the age of high quality car design was in 1947 when the Cisitalia 202 was designed or in the 1960s with the E-Type. In those days the materials were indeed what they looked like. Todays those poor designers have to work with plastics which are produced from filthy crude oil. When you wash your car it makes a difference whether you touch metal or those terrible panted plastics. I just wish they would find higher quality materials for more elaborate designs, although the front section of the Alfa 147 is quite a good approach in that direction. The front is made of plastics but you don't realize it right away. Good Job!
    What I was very disappointed in was the outcome of the Chrysler X-fire. The Concept was such a beauty, especially the rear. Now what did those DaimlerChrysler barbarians do? - They enlarged the luggage opening so that old grandma could fit in her huge 1960s leather-imitation suitcase. The perfect original design has been destroyed by barbarians!! It's a sports car, gee!! It's supposed to look sporty and not ugly.

I am confident that car design will play an increasing role in future and it will become an important marketing factor. Design will have to improve to make people buy the products. Boring cars will die out, at least I hope so!!!
    The name Wimille comes from a renowned French race driver. I think we ought to respect that name!!

The rear of the Wimille reminds me of the Bugatti Type 55 Roadster with the insect-like colour scheme. There is a lot of tension in it. Here's a pic:

http://www.bugattipage.com/newspics/t55-arg.jpg

in comparison to the Wimille-rear:
    http://www.bugattipage.com/newspics/wimille1.jpg
    Last edited by TIM; 10-15-2004 at 04:06 AM.

It does indeed look a bit like the Type 55 Roadster. You know what makes me sad ? It's VAG and especially back in the day when Piëch was runnig the company. This megalomaniac bought all these fantastic marques like Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti and they designed cars that are no more than "bling". Look at the Bentley GT, it doesn't have this feeling of a real old Bentley when you sit in one. It's hard, technical, to the point german engineering. That's no problem by itself but it just doesn't fit the car. And it should have the old 6,75 liter V8 as well not some techno W12 crap. Lamborghini, well they did a semi good job with them altough they lost the old "feeling" you get with a Lambo and also a Lambo should have an impossible clutch . But Bugatti... At first with the EB218 and EB118 prototypes I thought: wow yes ! bring it on! And then came the Veyron 18/4 (?) or 16/4 or whatever stupid numbering. And, again I thought, cool it looks nice. But then I read the numbers: 1001bhp. I thougt, yeah Piëch really lost it. There is no point whatsoever in making a car that produces 1001bhp, has AWD and wheighs 2,5 tonnes ! It's only good for bragging. It's not a real Bugatti to me. It's nothing but bling. And them promising to build this car for years is just adding to the hype around a car that will probably offer nothing but bling.

It's not only the premium marques that come to mind, there are other example of Piëch megalomany: e.g. the Passat W8 (what were they thinking ?) and the Phaeton, who wants a +60000 euro VW that is ugly as hell ? Nobody.

Oh and about the Wimille:
    "Mais pas avant 2009..." lol, that sums it up.

[/rant]

I totally agree with all you said. But you know, I still have hope!! I am one of those guys that never give up hope. I read an article about the French Alsace-population and for them it is very exciting that their old company is being reinstalled. And they get at least SOME more jobs in that region. And who knows, if VW continues doing so badly maybe a French company eventually will buy Bugatti bacK? I remember something like that happening with Rover and BMW.

I tell you what makes me sad: On one V.A.G. article there's a huge picture of Piech with an oldfashioned cap and coat stating: I and Ettore Bugatti have a lot of similarities. Well, I don't want to offend Mr. Piech, but who would dare comparing himself with Ettore or Jean. Maybe Enzo, but that's about all. But Enzo as I know him wouldn't even think about comparing himself with Bugatti (Remember, I am saying this although I am a German/American binational living in Germany.)
    I can't find the Piech-quote at the moment but I will post it when I find it in my piles of papers.
    But, let's just wait and see what happens. Maybe VW people become a little more modest the further they slide into their home made crisis. Don't missunderstand me. I am not happy about their crisis but when you overestimate yourself that's what happens!
    Last edited by TIM; 10-16-2004 at 10:36 AM.

1'400 posts

Quote Originally Posted by QUATTRO MAN
    are you that desperate to win a horsepower race? enough to be undrivable?
    There is 3 people on a boat with loads of children running around it, the 3 people are: 1. Bob geldof, 2. Ozzy Osbourne, and 3. Micheal jackson, they're sailing out for the G8 live aid, they've hit a rock and they're sinking, bob says: "save the children!" ozzy says: "Fuc the children!"

Micheal says "have we got time?"

Quote Originally Posted by QUATTRO MAN
    I also love Bugatti but I don't love the Veyron in any sense at all.

I agree, not really a Bugatti at all to me

Autocar magaznine online had a short article on the "baby Bugatti". Go do a search if you wish.
    The wind that blows in the Andes.

No offence to Bugatti or anything but if that IS the car that will be coming out, you can forget about me ever considering buying one. I think that VW should just give up with Bugatti and admit that the company is dead. All recent Bugattis (2000-) have none of the passion and character that the old cars had. Enough is enough. VW, go spend your money on improving your own cars and you might just beat the Ford Focus next time.

A true testiment to bugatti artistry is the concept made by Douglas Hogg. This concept is of the Bugatti Aerolithe as it would be constructed in 2025. This is a beautiful car.

Thread Information