Thread: First Knee airbags in a car:Lexus LS 430

Thumbs up First Knee airbags in a car:Lexus LS 430

Lexus is always keen to update the Ls with its latest technological inventions especially that the LS was the first Lexus production car back in 1990.
    The new LS is now equipped with I-AFS: Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System which turns in the same direction as the car when it enters a corner & even measures the velocity of the car to sustain enough visibility for the driver.

Aside from the refined air-suspension system, voice recognition system,touch screen DVD sat-nav, Bluetooth technology for cable-free phone and PDA use the car holds the first KNEE AIRBAGS for the driver & passenger in a car ever!
    The heart of the car hasn’t been changed:4.3 279 bhpV8 engine hitting the 62mph in a mere 6.3 secs. With a 6speed sequential gear ratio combined with automatic height adjusting function of the air suspension the engine is claimed to be less thirsty for gas!
    From the outside new touches can be found such as: 5 spoke 18” alloys, twin exhaust outlets, rear led lamps,…etc

Original article can be found by clicking this link

Brilliant

Always been a great car in every single category (exept the styling maybe) , and for a lot cheaper than its European competitors. But the problem with this car, is that Lexus doesn't look capable of producing cars with enough class and image to take on the competition. What I mean is, who had the money to buy an S-class or 7-series and is going to get an LS ??

My opinion on the car though , AMAZING !!

Re: Brilliant

Originally posted by Misho
    What I mean is, who had the money to buy an S-class or 7-series and is going to get an LS ?
    That isn't necessarily true at all, if you spend more time in Lexus forums or know Lexus owners personally.

I personally don't care for the exterior styling of the LS430 either, but it is unbeatable in value & has been consistently rated the top in its class(or any class) in quality & reliablility for years.

Yes, S-class or 7 series may get you more attention on the road, but many understated but affluent people may prefer not to be noticed while cruising in luxury. They also prefer the more isolated ride of the LS430 in a luxury car.

Some affluent people like value as well, & spend their money wisely & prudently. I personally know a couple of very rich people who can afford to buy multiple S600's & 760's like they were toy cars, opt for less expensive Japanese cars like Nissan President(in Asia) & Infiniti Q45 or the LS.
    Last edited by ltauam; 09-21-2003 at 08:21 AM.

I fully understand your point, what i meant is that even in a car market like North America where both cars are available and the S-class costs considerably more than the LS, Mercedes continous to outsell Lexus in this category. Although i do know that Lexus is always rated greatly and has amazing customer satisfaction.
    I guess now there is a new market segment that opened in the car market, its sort of a sub-luxury class. It contains some really good cars that r a bit cheaper and got to the point were they are not supposed to compete with the traditional luxury cars (MB, BMW, Jag, Audi...) This new class features cars like Lexus LS, Infinity Q45, Cadillac Deville . . .
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

The LS430 is the best selling car in the premium luxury class in USA , the largest car market in the world (I don't know about Canada) in 2001 (when introduced) & 2002, outselling the S class & 7 series in both years. The LS430 in ultra-luxury trim is actually as expensive as a base S430. and slightly more than a base 7 series.

For your interest, the sales number of the LS through its history in USA are as follow:

1989 - 11,574
    1990 - 42,806
    1991 - 36,955
    1992 - 32,561
    1993 - 23,783
    1994 - 22,443
    1995 - 23,657
    1996 - 22,237
    1997 - 19,618
    1998 - 20,790
    1999 - 16,357
    2000 - 15,871
    2001 - 31,110
    2002 - 26,261
    2003 - 11,434 (thru 07.03)
    Last edited by ltauam; 09-21-2003 at 04:26 PM.

DAMN , I love Euro cars more then I ever could Jap, but I absolutley adore the LS!
    I don't know if it's the design, the interior, or what, but I absolutley love it! Knee airbags are a great idea, and so is the headlight thing, but I think I heard that being used on a BMW beforehand, not too sure.
    In Victoria and looking for a Mercedes Benz? Buy from Mercedes Benz of Melbourne!!!

Originally posted by MetalFan
    so is the headlight thing, but I think I heard that being used on a BMW beforehand, not too sure.
    You're right.BMWs are eqipped with headlights like these.
    But the first manufacturer who used such headlights,that turn in the same direction as the car, was Citroen actually in its DS back in the fifties!
    Last edited by kinan.f; 10-01-2003 at 12:59 AM.

To back up what you have said about quality and value regarding the lexus, in Britain lexus was voted the best after sales support motor dealer in the country, ahead of BMW, and way ahead of Mercedes. In fact the IS 200 had the greatest proportion of owner satisfaction of any vehicle too!

Brand snobbery (especially rampant in parts of Europe) may affect lexus sales, but the car is it's competitors equal in most every way.

Re: Brilliant

Originally posted by Misho
    Always been a great car in every single category (exept the styling maybe) , and for a lot cheaper than its European competitors. But the problem with this car, is that Lexus doesn't look capable of producing cars with enough class and image to take on the competition. What I mean is, who had the money to buy an S-class or 7-series and is going to get an LS ??

My opinion on the car though , AMAZING !!
    1. Whats wrong with the styling?

What I mean is, who had the money to buy an S-class or 7-series and is going to get an LS
    Someone who knows reliablility (this years S-class and 7-series had pretty bad reliability ratings, tests done by consumer repots), such as my father. A lexus is to a japanese benz or bimmer, which means it has a smaller cost, better reliability, and a similar styling and, if not better, satisfaction.
    Puff Daddy says his Ferrari 360 Spider can go 220 because the speedo says so
    *coughretardcough*

Re: Re: Brilliant

Originally posted by ltauam
    That isn't necessarily true at all, if you spend more time in Lexus forums or know Lexus owners personally.

I personally don't care for the exterior styling of the LS430 either, but it is unbeatable in value & has been consistently rated the top in its class(or any class) in quality & reliablility for years.

Yes, S-class or 7 series may get you more attention on the road, but many understated but affluent people may prefer not to be noticed while cruising in luxury. They also prefer the more isolated ride of the LS430 in a luxury car.

Some affluent people like value as well, & spend their money wisely & prudently. I personally know a couple of very rich people who can afford to buy multiple S600's & 760's like they were toy cars, opt for less expensive Japanese cars like Nissan President(in Asia) & Infiniti Q45 or the LS.
    talk to someone who owns a lexus, me (actually my dad, but I ride it too)
    Puff Daddy says his Ferrari 360 Spider can go 220 because the speedo says so
    *coughretardcough*

Thread Information