Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RX7 FC mods

RX7 FC mods

Despite my name being "Blue Supra" i have a strong liking to RX7s, especially the FC, which is why im acquiring one shortly, however my knowledge of rotaries is limited, but enough to understand what im buying, what my real question to you all is what is the best way to modify the engine, i know details are important to you all so what i would eventually like to end up with (until i can afford my supra ) is an RX7 that can run quickly down a quarter strip (12 secs would be ideal) but will also handle cruisin on a highway happily. i have about 5k to spend on mods at the moment but as budgets usually do with cars, im expecting it could go over that.

any ideas, suggestions, abuse welcome.
    The Datto will rage again...

apparently the 13B benefits greatly from a port polish etc.
    I am the Stig

Theres only one real problem with tuning a rotary engine, you can't mod it. But you can get a performance air filter, exhaust, etc. If you want to go to the extreme (i.e. nitrous oxide), you wont be finding any parts.

You're gonna need NOS. The big ones. Two of 'em. </Fast and Furious>

Really, turbo'ing is your best bet. Good luck. Don't blow it up.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

You can get a lightened rotor, but they are very expensive.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs

NOS doesnt make anything for rotary engines, and anyway, you can't put 2 nitrous oxide systems in one engine, that would screw up the timing horribly.

ill get to you in a sec i have a few wrongs to right

apparently the 13B benefits greatly from a port polish etc.
    most gains are dependednt on the model of the 13b, the type of port job, and the supporting mods.

Theres only one real problem with tuning a rotary engine, you can't mod it.
    how wrong are you, theres plenty you can do to a rotary. if you mean theres nothing you can do internally your still wrong. intake and exhaust port street porting, bridge porting, j-porting, periphrial porting, ceramic seals, carbon seals, 3mm apex regrinds, hardened stationary gears, lightened rotors(more on this in a sec), etc.

If you want to go to the extreme (i.e. nitrous oxide), you wont be finding any parts.
    why is it you wont find any parts? id hardly call a nitrous system "to the extreme". a monster bridge port, 3mm ceramic apex seals, T04R, 4" dump pipe, air inlet thru the headlight, 1200ccm injectors, and a 200shot of the fuzzy stuff would be an "extreme"

ohh god...

the first ture statment yet, turboing will allow the greatest gains for the least amount of money assuming you buy a TurboII

You can get a lightened rotor, but they are very expensive.
    getting A lightened rotor is pointless (god i hope your not talking about brake rotors ) all moderrns rotary powered cars are 2 rotor motors so you'd need 2 lightened rotors but you wouldnt buy them just to get them, their more of a "while im in there type of thing" as ALL internal mods to a rotary require a full engine tear down. but most internal mods are un nessesary as rotarys poer producing potential are only limited by the amount of air the ports can flow up to a certain point(13b-rew's making 800-1000hp+ on a basicaly stock engine(all stock parts) exept for a nice big port job). on 13b-t's (FC turbo engines) the dowels start giving way at about 350-400hp tho, nothing you can really do about it, if your looking for high horsepower you'd better look into a 13b-rew swap.(Can be a pain in the ass, almost not worth it unless your building a race car)

NOS doesnt make anything for rotary engines
    explain to me son, what prevents nitrous from making power on rotaries? lmao

you can't put 2 nitrous oxide systems in one engine, that would screw up the timing horribly.
    depends what you mean by "2 systems" as there are 2 stage systems. and what does nitrous have to do with messing up your timing? again lmao
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

first off, you have $5000 total to spend on the cost of the car and mods or does that just cover mods? if its to cover the cost of the car a turboII might suck up all your money. what are you looking for (turboII, gxl, etc.) and you just want it as a everyday street car with some power?

Yeh im goin the turboII model. probably a 89 or 90ish. not pre 89 anyway, 5k is for the mods. im lookin at between 7500 and 10k for the car itself, itll come with an exhaust system but probably not much else. so yeh justsomething thatll pull a quick time but is still everyday use driveable (does that make sense )

If you modify the engine a good bit, remember to ugrade the apex seals. The apex seals are one of the worst problems on the 13B or on most rotaries.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

its not the seals that are the problem its impropper maintenece/modification of the motor that can lead to seal failure

okay, so what im getting is a port n polish, bigger ports for more air flow, if a want to get really serious an engine swap (that probably wont happen) and keep the seals well maintained. this thing comes turbo but can i put a bigger one in it? what kind?

oh and nitrous is out of the question, its not legal in Australia as far as i know.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    okay, so what im getting is a port n polish, bigger ports for more air flow, if a want to get really serious an engine swap (that probably wont happen) and keep the seals well maintained. this thing comes turbo but can i put a bigger one in it? what kind?
    If you're going to look at an engine swap, you might want to go to a company that will do a V8 conversion. It would probably be the best way to go, as far as power and efficiency goes. I'm not too sure if there any places in your area that do them though.

Any Aussies here know of one?

I think if you were looking at a V8 swap, the most logical V8 would be a 4L Lexus V8 from a GS400 or LS400/Toyota Soarer. Theres a heavy vehicle repair workshop and a pretty dodge auto electricion around where i live that my dads gotten to swap an engine in both his Landcruiser and Cressida though
    I am the Stig

Thread Information