Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: favorite japanese car

The datsun 1000 my old mans faithful transport ever since it was brand new! (of course this isnt my old mans) but his has been modified with twin webbers a 1200 engine a cam regrind and some head work and still gets 41mpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Even as big of a fan of Mazda, Rotary, and RX-7's as I am, I wont say it's THE best. But I do believe it's the best for me." well everything is a form of an oppinion in the automotive world...

"I've seen many high end Supra's hold their own against RX-7's, and Skylines keep up with them on the 1/4 but quickly lose pace after that" stock to stock(which is how all car comparisons should be) the supras and skylines will beat the RX-7 it is close but they are still faster assuming drivers skill is equal

"Dodge Viper head to head vs. an RX-7 on a full track? Depends which one is more modified" stock to stock the viper would have better lap times bar mabe an extremly tight track where the vipers power is less a factor than the RX-7's great handling iff were talking modifyed cars its a whole different territory; how much did they put in to the modifications on each car and what are the mods? whats it setup for street, drag, autox road coarse? who tuned it(suspention and engine wise) and is the driver skill equal and acustomed to the setup of the car? comparing modifyed cars is an ineffective way of comparison unless their specific cars and you name the track or type of track, example you could have a viper and a 7 both have $10k into them the viper into the suspention the 7 into the engine, on a small to medium track the viper would beat the 7 assuming the tuner of the suspention and the driver know what their doing, on a larger track with wider turns and longer straits the 7 would win assuming the same thing, but comparing 2 modded cars is stupid you could have 2 modded civics one with a performance muffler the other with a turbo, full exhaust and tuned in coil overs both are modded so it must be a tight race huh...

"Remember, the RX-7 is a lot smaller, a lot lighter, has better downforce, and still has torque from hell to top it " the viper is only slightly bigger, has more downforce unless your talking about a the japanese RZ, RS, Spirit-R type A or B with the adjustible spoiler set from almost-full to full downforce. and you really think a 255hp or a 280hp 1.3 liter twin turbo rotary has more torque than a 450hp 8.0liter v10? you are gravely mistaken...

if your favorite japanese car is a civic then that tells me you like to drive around and move ppl without paying alot on gas because thats what it is ppl, an economy car designed for the sole purpose to get better gas mileage for less money than the competition thats why they dont sell a civic with over 200hp, if it was a preformance car then they would turn it into something to compete with the RSX or if they were really seriose mabe to compete with the imprezas and lancer evos

"When Mazda makes a car they're not trying to make it fast, or have big numbers. They're designing a car that's fun to drive" while that may be true to an extent mazda's aim for the RX-7 was an affordable racecar, to be fast, to put down impressive numbers, making it were an everyday shmoe can go out buy one and and have a car thats small nimble and fun to drive. and yet another rant session is complete
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Sorry, my bad on that typo. (Calling a 2000gt a 3000gt by mistake). I made that post right after reading the thread about the r34 Skyling -vs- Mitsubishi 3000gt, so it was fresh on my mind

By the way, I remember posting a sweet picture of one a while back... it's here if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...t&pagenumber=2

I think it's about halfway down the page )

Originally posted by Egg Nog
    Sorry, my bad on that typo. (Calling a 2000gt a 3000gt by mistake). I made that post right after reading the thread about the r34 Skyling -vs- Mitsubishi 3000gt, so it was fresh on my mind

By the way, I remember posting a sweet picture of one a while back... it's here if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...t&pagenumber=2

I think it's about halfway down the page )
    nice pic

could it be? *blinks eyes... twice to make shure* a inoffensive relevent post? let alone a complement? i am truely shocked and amazed

Originally posted by megotmea7
    could it be? *blinks eyes... twice to make shure* a inoffensive relevent post? let alone a complement? i am truely shocked and amazed
    wats ur problem?

nothing its just thats the first time ive read a relevent inoffensive post from you and im shocked

really nice pic http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/foru...gt&pagenumber=2

i like the 2000GT too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Batmobile_Turbo; 09-13-2003 at 10:11 AM.
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

Originally posted by megotmea7
    nothing its just thats the first time ive read a relevent inoffensive post from you and im shocked
    i was in a very good mood when i wrote that post

Originally posted by r34_296kw
    i was in a very good mood when i wrote that post
    Shit!, it can spell! ( unless hes getting mummy to write for him)
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Maybe a brand new Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec, damn those are nice!
    IVI-Niveus

GTR R33

Originally posted by crisis
    Shit!, it can spell! ( unless hes getting mummy to write for him)
    nah ur mummy did...i gave her a free BJ 4 it

you know thes juvinile putdowns about peoples mother do nothing other than show the limits of your intelegence, you see someone cracks a joke at your expense and you call their mom ugly because you lack the brain power to think up something of substance to respond with, and half the time your put downs are directed at yourself without you even realizing it

This is where it gets touchy, megotmea7. Japanese car manufacturers are limited to rating their cars at 276bhp.

Now, it's been estimated the Supra makes about 325/330 (hp/ft.lbs) and the Skyline roughly the same. The American versions of the RX-7 have been estimated to be roughly 290, with the Japanese editions making anywhere from 310-330bhp.

American car manufacturers don't have these same problems, therefore you do have cars like the Viper that are open, making it a clean 450bhp (480ish torque i think?) machine. So with that all said, aside from the obvious, I agree a Supra would probably be at the least slightly faster than an RX-7. But judging off of pure modification ability is a different story.

What I'm comparing is more or less, assuming that it's 1995 and I can get an FD3S right from the dealer for 38k, I now have 50,000$ saved vs. the Viper. Add a 99+ upgrade kit, Mazdaspeed rear spoiler, some suspension tuning etc. etc. then add in some nice big fat HKS Turbo's and a 6 speed. I'm doing at WORST 500+ at the wheels, and I still have 40,000$ left over, maybe 35,000 due to the transmission swap.

You're right in the sense that if you paid the same amount into mods on the Viper, it would be faster... but you paid for those mods already when you bought the car in the first place, and when you're nearing the end of the line as far as practical modifications of both cars goes, it comes out pretty close to equal performance in a worst case scenario, and you paid a hell of a lot more for the Viper.

Generally what I mean as far as "track performance" goes is all around, aerodynamic downforce, going up hills, tight turns, wide turns... a varying degree of each. So if you take a well modded RX-7 with a Viper to Laguna Seca, who's going to come out on top? I vote the 7

The Civic. That car seems to be brought up in every conversation relating to Japanese imports, doesn't it? No, I don't drive a Civic. It's just not appealing to me at all. I personally think it has some major balancing problems, I'd like to see a 200hp 2.0 Liter I4 Type-R, but we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon. I was basically just trying to defend the Civic fans (for once) saying that if they feel it's a fun car, then that's the car for them. Also, the RSX is a Honda, why would they compete with themselves? Jokes about the Protege and Focus aside...

What I was really refering to in the fast statement was the Miata, which has been their flagship for some time now. Whilst I agree it's not a fast car, it's cute, affordable and I've NEVER heard anyone that's gotten behind the wheel of one tell me that it wasn't an absolute blast to drive.

Hope that helps a little clearing things up
    Last edited by BloodRoses; 11-09-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    Faerie Blessings,
    Stephanie - www.GlitterFaerie.net

Thread Information