Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HSV V series II

HSV V series II

It didnt take long. Ford, by way of their "bargain" 290kw GT have put the squeeze on HSV, at least in the numbers game, and HSV have come out fighting. The series II Y series Club Sport now has 285kw ECE ( or 292kw DIN , the way Ford measure ) and 510nm torque. The balance sheet is equal with both the GT and Club Sport at A$60000 and the R8 and GT-P at just under A$70000. The R8 gains 19" wheels, leather interior, GTS suspension and premium brakes. Ding ding, round two.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

And anyway its the Y series!

the new R8 certainly looks like a killer. but i think from what i have heard and read, the clubsport is more of a track style car. apparently it would get a bit impractical as a daily driver. the ford GT has lots of maturity built in so that it not only performs but doesnt shake your butt off in the proccess.

Re: HSV V series II

Originally posted by crisis
    It didnt take long. Ford, by way of their "bargain" 290kw GT have put the squeeze on HSV, at least in the numbers game, and HSV have come out fighting. The series II Y series Club Sport now has 285kw ECE ( or 292kw DIN , the way Ford measure ) and 510nm torque. The balance sheet is equal with both the GT and Club Sport at A$60000 and the R8 and GT-P at just under A$70000. The R8 gains 19" wheels, leather interior, GTS suspension and premium brakes. Ding ding, round two.
    did ford end up admitting that they use the more generous power measurement or are you going by what holden claimed when ford relesed the BA

Re: Re: HSV V series II

Originally posted by fpv_gtho
    did ford end up admitting that they use the more generous power measurement or are you going by what holden claimed when ford relesed the BA
    The power figures and the quote about the conversion to DIN was straight from "MOTOR". I dont know if Ford admitted anything or if theres anything to admit. A dyno test will tell all as long as they have the same weighting.
    Im not sure how impractical the Clubsport is as a daily driver. It is supposed to be a performance sedan, not a slush box. You can have a Senator if you want something a bit softer. What is the "maturity" (Danno) that the Frod has?

nobody seems to know what system ford use. when wheels had a special on the prototype gt when ford released the first pics, they thought it made closer to 300kw rather than 290kw, then holden made the comment about ford using the DIN power measurement, whilst all along fords kept their mouth shut

Originally posted by fpv_gtho
    nobody seems to know what system ford use.
    Ford do.

too bad theyre not enlightening us on it. it shouldnt be too far away from what holden use, if the GT can get slightly more rear wheel power than the GTS. 10kw down at the flywheel, yet 3 kw up at the rears when motor tested them. i dont think fords driveline would account for all of that, surely

Well they claim theyre not in the HP wars so I dont see why they dont come clean. It would only matter to the number counters. theyre are still ahead, if only slightly, with torque.

peak torque theyre slightly ahead, but the strong low to midrange lorque of the boss puts them ahead further. i think theyre just claiming to not be in a power war to keep the government happy. i dont see why hsv are as worried as they seem to be, they still have a pretty good weight advantage on the GT, so theres no apparent reason to lift the base hsv engines to 285kw other than to cause a stir at FPV. i heard that hsv actually claimed 5.5 0-100km/h for the series 1 VY and now theyre claiming 5.3. ive only seen motor magazine get about 5.3-5.4 for the gts, so i dont like the chances of the clubsport getting that quick

Ive heard stories about holden doing DIN but im taking the side of i hope ford and holden are both honest eough not to do what their american parent companys do! And also the fact that the GT in GT-p has a higher top speed over the more developed 300kw VYs is a good indication of what they can do!

its no surprise the GT does better than the GTS in GT-P, its got stronger midrange torque as well as higher peak torque. what speed do they get it up to, cause the GTS can crack 270km/h, and i reckon the GT with its current gearing and enough space and torque, could get 300km/h, based on it does 250km/h at 4940rpm(6000rpm redline)

but if anyone got a GT up to those speeds, the car would be thrown around alot and after a couple of minutes a bone-stock car would surely blow a tire or something

and to think wheels got greg murphy goin 270km/h in the wet in the GTS

Well trevor Haines the bloke whos racing the GT says when you get up to speed you all of a sudden gp flying pastall the other cars but when you come to the end of a corner she just doesnt want to stop! Anmd dont forget GT-P is loosly based on production rules.

Thread Information