Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW at the Nordschleife

BMW at the Nordschleife

Hey, check out this video of BMW's new K1200S motorcycle. Around the Nordschleife (Nurburgring) in 7min 57sec! Thats smokin fast. http://www.face-the-power.com/com/re...the-power.html

that beats the old record for a motorcycle by nearly 30 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    that beats the old record for a motorcycle by nearly 30 seconds!
    NO it doesn't.
    The 'official' motorbike record is 7:49, so it's actually 8 seconds slower.
    That was on a street legal Honda VFR750R (RC30) - this is a 20 year old bike design.

BUT, that is still awesome and worthy of a test ride.
    I hated the BMW Boxer engine and glad to see BMW bring their front suspension to a real performance bike

The rider commented that it wasn't the best lap possible, so expect it to come down with some tweaking. THe new bike has better braking handling characteristics due to it's independant front suspension setup. So it will make up time in slowing that other bikes cannot match.

PS: I'm also surprised that a current gen R1 or Gixxer1K hasn't bested the RC30 time !!!!
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 08-30-2004 at 02:30 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

pity that the video is spoiled by this stupid background music, can't hear the engine properly.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i wonder wether someone has taken a hayabusa to this track, that would be insane....
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    i wonder wether someone has taken a hayabusa to this track, that would be insane....
    the 'busa doesn't have it in braking or cornering over an R1 or Gixxer1K.

In bikes even more so, bigger isn't better
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I'm also surprised that a current gen R1 or Gixxer1K hasn't bested the RC30 time !!!!
    Don't know much about the Suzuki, but I know Yam's new R1 packs 180bhp whilst only weighing around 172kg. More than 1bhp/kg. Stunning stuff, should be lightning fast around the Nurburgring, assuming the brakes and frame are up to the task, I for one wouldn't doubt that they are.

...Now where did I leave that bike test form...

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    Don't know much about the Suzuki, but I know Yam's new R1 packs 180bhp whilst only weighing around 172kg. More than 1bhp/kg.
    THe top end bikes swap top places every few years ...
    Honda Fireblade -> R1 -> GSX-R1000 -> ??

It's not clear that any new bike is knocking them off the top, but he R1 has the power edge. The GSX have always been famed for being able to use the power. The biggest problem in makign a biek more powerful is making it handle to match. Sometimes the lower power bike with the better dynamics gets better lap times and scratchign on the roads

On the Isle of Man - the closest we have to the Norsdschliefe, the GSX still rules over the R1 production. The top 3 in the senir race - tuned and uprated - went all to the GSX-R.

Woudl be great if BMW woudl bring a few 1200s to the TT enxt year and try it on with the big guys again !!

Stunning stuff, should be lightning fast around the Nurburgring, assuming the brakes and frame are up to the task, I for one wouldn't doubt that they are.

...Now where did I leave that bike test form...
    Just remember, fast bike riders have another name in the accident and emergency wards of all the hospitals --- "organ donor"

It's serious stuff, don't know why the F I do it really. Hell yes I do

PS: I'm also surprised that a current gen R1 or Gixxer1K hasn't bested the RC30 time !!!!
    I bet no ones really tested the R1 on the nurburgring, because I've never heard of a time (even after looking for one!). it may seem choosy against the RC30, but i'm pretty sure the R1 could take it anyday. the R1 is my someday bike, however. just dream.........198 hp at the wheel.........dual underseat exhaust........98 mph in first gear.........12,500 rpm red line..........198 mph top speed........

It's serious stuff, don't know why the F I do it really. Hell yes I do
    Heh, I can't ride yet, but once it's financially viable and I reckon I'm ready for it I'll be hopping on a bike hopefully. I've been on the back of my brother's Fireblade and R1, the latter was a 150mph tour de force across the mountains on the IoM. Never has 'brown alert' been closer to the truth. Absolutely stunning experience. Everyone who loves fast cars should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    I bet no ones really tested the R1 on the nurburgring, because I've never heard of a time (even after looking for one!).
    You can be sure it will have been taken already.
    it may seem choosy against the RC30, but i'm pretty sure the R1 could take it anyday. the R1 is my someday bike, however. just dream.........198 hp at the wheel.........dual underseat exhaust........98 mph in first gear.........12,500 rpm red line..........198 mph top speed........
    Well the RC30 won the first 2 world superbike championships
    It's a bit unfair to stack a 20 year old bike against a new one and with 250cc less capacity !! Especially as it's almost certain it woudl have been a race prepared RC30 and Honda could breathe wonders on their stock engines and frames for competition !!!

I've seen a public posted time of 8:55 for an R1, but theese can seldom be trusted. It needs an official track test day ttime to get any trust. However, here's an R1 doing a lap -- http://homepage.mac.com/benlovering/...Theater14.html

BTW, it's going to be harder to see on-board Nordschleife as they don't allow you out with them anymore. Seems most of the bad and fatal accidents all had running stopwatches in them, so they concluded ( probably rightly ) that people were taking undue risks to make time rather than enjoy the track. c'est la vie

Heh, I can't ride yet, but once it's financially viable and I reckon I'm ready for it I'll be hopping on a bike hopefully. I've been on the back of my brother's Fireblade and R1, the latter was a 150mph tour de force across the mountains on the IoM.
    Yep, NOTHING beats it
    BUT, public health warning -- people die on bikes.
    Last year at IoM I was second bike at sight of a head-on with a biek and a transit van at the Mountain Mile. It was impossible to tell what kind of bike it was and the rider didn't survive.
    Never has 'brown alert' been closer to the truth. Absolutely stunning experience. Everyone who loves fast cars should try it.
    But ONLY once you've built experience on smaller bikes and can control slide or front wheel slip, coz at 100mph either of those can lead to instant death.

There are no safety cells for a bike rider. There's only you and the other vehicles and the 'street furniture' all of which hurt.

Yep, NOTHING beats it
    BUT, public health warning -- people die on bikes.
    Too true. I was there when David Jeffries died on his practice lap last year. It really dampened things for a day or so. Kinda brought home how dangerous the TT was, bearing in mind Jeffries was arguably the most adept rider out there.

My brother has a theory that pretty much every biker knows two or more people that have died on bikes. I've tested it and thus far it's been pretty accurate. It's sad but true.

Too true. I was there when David Jeffries died on his practice lap last year. It really dampened things for a day or so. Kinda brought home how dangerous the TT was, bearing in mind Jeffries was arguably the most adept rider out there.
    Yep, me too. Laid a tribute to DJ from all the Scots. He was THE best ever on road another great loss.

on an up are you going TTing next year ? I had to miss it this year and it was the best bloody weather in ages. Mate kept phoning me to let me hear the bikes go by
    My brother has a theory that pretty much every biker knows two or more people that have died on bikes. I've tested it and thus far it's been pretty accurate. It's sad but true.
    Yep, and the longer you ride the more you know and the more you spot more of your friends limp or are in wheelchairs. It's a crazy way to travel !!!

I'm determined to get there next year. Me and a band of mates were all psyched up to go this year, one of them even booked all of his holiday off for the two weeks to give us plenty of margin for change. Then when it came down to coughing up the pennies for the extortionate ferry, they all got cold feet and let me down.

Where do you usually stay? Anywhere to recommend? Last year we stayed in the Union Mills campsite. In the field next to the road. Asbolutely brilliant, cos you could sneak through the woods between the field and the road and set up a chair trackside. Got a great view of all the classics coming around on the parade lap.

Only problem was the practice runs. Sodding noisy Ducatis blasting past your tent at 6:00am when you've got a hangover. Not cool.

Thread Information