Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rx8

Thumbs down rx8

Why is the rx8 always #1 in the top 5? Its not even that fast, and ive heard that those rotary engines are very unreliable. I know its light weight and has a lot of hp/liter but who really gives a crap? Shouldnt the #1 slot be reserved for something faster?

"Why is the rx8 always #1 in the top 5" because its a very well designed car and aperently it has alot of backing

"Its not even that fast" its fast enough and if it needs to be faster theres a turbos model that might be coming out with the 4th generation RX-7 if it sells well enough

"ive heard that those rotary engines are very unreliable" where'd you hear that? do you know how a rotary engine works(waits for you to go look on www.howstuffworks.com...) get it yet? now do you know the main weakness of the rotary engine in a stock n/a rotary(such as a RX-8) the number one killer of that engine would be if there was a cooling system failure such as low coolant or radiator hose blowing which would make the engine run extreamly hot compromising the water seal and causeing the engine to be scrap and in need of a rebuild. the second and less likely reason is the engine somhow detonating, be it some idiot throwing on a free'er flowing exhaust or intake/filter or a fuel system failure of some sort, the detonating would cause the apex seals to shatter becoming several high velocity super heated iron fragments (not good on turbo cars bacous it shreds not only your engine but your turbo also) and yet the motor will still run if this happens... with a well tuned and propperly maintained example niether is a problem, the rotarys reputation for unreliability is mainly because of many owners ignorance and mistakes, n/a second gens have reached 200k miles on the original engine no rebuilds or anything

"I know its light weight and has a lot of hp/liter but who really gives a crap?" me and apperently several other ppl

"Shouldnt the #1 slot be reserved for something faster?" not necesarily...
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

My ignorance is unmeasurable as far as rotaries are concerned but I have heard that they are costly to repair. I was alway of the impression that they were fairly reliable though.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

well in one way your right on anther your wrong, if there is any significant damage to a rotary (for instance a broken water seal) it requires a full rebuild of the engine wich requires the engine to be removed were if for instance the head gasket blew on your civic you take the head off and put the new gasket on, but say you need a full rebuild on both engines with general automotive knowledge and a little rotary know how you could rebuild the rotary for less money and in less time with less headache than pulling the civic engine out and rebuilding it

Originally posted by megotmea7
    well in one way your right on anther your wrong, if there is any significant damage to a rotary (for instance a broken water seal) it requires a full rebuild of the engine wich requires the engine to be removed were if for instance the head gasket blew on your civic you take the head off and put the new gasket on, but say you need a full rebuild on both engines with general automotive knowledge and a little rotary know how you could rebuild the rotary for less money and in less time with less headache than pulling the civic engine out and rebuilding it
    I dont have a Civic but I get your point.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

yea i was just using that as an example

I'm totally in love with the Wankel engine . It brings me great joy to know that Mazda has persistently continued to produce such an unorthadox engine. It's also great that the reliability issues (including apex seals et al) were pretty well sorted out by the time the RX-7 MK1 rolled out.

and the exhaust note on the RX-8? makes all the repairs worthwhile.

RX-8 is a really nice looking car and its really good that mazda is persisting with the rotary it has heapes of potential even if its not that great now
    piston engines have been around for ages
    rotaries only 25years

"Shouldnt the #1 slot be reserved for something faster?" not necesarily...
    ummm yes it should. The rx8 is not even close to being the fastest car out there, nor best car for the money. therfore it would make more sense for something like the mclaren f1, bugatti veyron, or the corvette zo6 to occupy the top slot.

Thumbs up Re: rx8

Originally posted by gtface
    Why is the rx8 always #1 in the top 5? Its not even that fast, and ive heard that those rotary engines are very unreliable. I know its light weight and has a lot of hp/liter but who really gives a crap? Shouldnt the #1 slot be reserved for something faster?
    hehehe-yes-great question
    coz its really crap,who said rx8 has a good design????????
    japanese design?good? hehe never seen,i think
    (mogemta7)he just show you his taste in cars design,look at that crap mouth,sux,headlights aweful.......
    anyway i think another persons must answer this question.
    like wouter.
    plz answer
    Attached Images Attached Images

^^^^^^^^^^nice pic^^^^^^^^^

who cares about how it looks? My main concern is the car's performance. By the way, there are a lot of better looking cars out there.

The rx8 is not even close to being the fastest car out there, nor best car for the money. therfore it would make more sense for something like the mclaren f1, bugatti veyron, or the corvette zo6 to occupy the top slot.
    who said the top spot was all about performance?

coz its really crap,who said rx8 has a good design????????
    japanese design?good? hehe never seen,i think
    (mogemta7)he just show you his taste in cars design,look at that crap mouth,sux,headlights aweful.......
    seeing as thats your oppinion it means nothing to me as mine should mean nothing to you, but criticising me for my taste in cars is very juvenile, a simple "my oppinion differs" would be sufficient, and apperently many ppl agree with me on this because it is up there week after week

who cares about how it looks? My main concern is the car's performance. By the way, there are a lot of better looking cars out there
    many ppl take the looks of cars into account, it is a very common base of judgment, your concern of performance is your own and i respect that but that doesnt make it wrong for anyone to have a different set of prioritys, and you opinion of the looks of it are again your oppinion, not everyone likes the same thing, my opinion is it is a very nice car does it make me wrong? or you? no i have cars i would rather be up there but i dont whine when their not up thert...

who said the top spot was all about performance?

seeing as thats your oppinion it means nothing to me as mine should mean nothing to you, but criticising me for my taste in cars is very juvenile, a simple "my oppinion differs" would be sufficient, and apperently many ppl agree with me on this because it is up there week after week

many ppl take the looks of cars into account, it is a very common base of judgment, your concern of performance is your own and i respect that but that doesnt make it wrong for anyone to have a different set of prioritys, and you opinion of the looks of it are again your oppinion, not everyone likes the same thing, my opinion is it is a very nice car does it make me wrong? or you? no i have cars i would rather be up there but i dont whine when their not up thert...
    The Verdict:You are a BIG Mazda fan.

Thread Information