Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drifters?

I think I am being patient, what I am talking about is a controlled 4-wheel drift, while you are obviously talking about going extremely sideways (power-oversteer) just to impress the lookers-on. I simply would not call that drifting but trying to show off so the title of thread should be :"do you show off" and not "do you drift". If that had been the case I would have stayed away from this discussion.

well everyone has their own definition for everything...
    if youll check exebition drifting is very popular in japan and in most peoples minds drifting is asociated with taking a car through a corner sideways, be it power on oversteer(witch is not driftin if it is not held and is not the only way to drift) feint motion, e-brakeing, shift locking, or just plain entering a corner to fast for you tires to remain attached to the road and cuting the wheel so that the lateral friction slows you instead of your brakes(can be effective for high corner speeds altho on exit it is usually slow if you enter too fast. ppl dont do it to impress on-lookers (well some dont) but rather because it is fun. feeling out of control yet staying in. as for it being pointless so is burning out, and if you want to get down to it racing (any automotive) is nothing more than a waste of gas, man hours, technology, and resorces but its fun and a spectaters sport also does that mean its pointless or "showing off"
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Thanks for your liberal approach to applying definitions. In my point of view a drift should be applied only if it results in making a car go faster through corners, and you will probably agree that when, in whatever category, a racing car is loosing its rear end, it will result in slower lap times. Your lap times go literally "up in smoke" (I assume you are familiar with this Cheech & Chong classic) For your information, also in Holland a renowned car magazine organises an annual drifting competition, whereby professional racing drivers are invited to continue going sideways for as long as possible but in real racing circumstances this should be avoided.

Finally I would like to carry your resume about usefulness a little bit further, ultimately human life is very detrimental to nature's resources and we in our part of the world should be grateful that we are getting such a large share of it.

i agree, but take note i never said anything about applications of drifting in racing, drifting is more or less a variation of racing, take for example down hill BMX(bicycle) or motocross(dirtbike) both sports are about getting from point A to point B faster than the guy next to you, but after they became popular freestyle BMX and motocross branched off, neither is about going anywhere quick just about doing stuff more ppl than not cant do and having fun, they wouldnt do these tricks during a race because the chance of messing up and slowing you down is present. but in their own event they are fun and worth doing(to some ppl) and certainly fun to watch(anyone see the militia flip? i doubt anyone not in the US has but its a 360' backflip crazy stuff) anyway like i said its not about going fast but having fun, like doing "tricks" with your car hard to master but fun(and expensive) to do
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

The cover of "Motorsport" (oct.2003) shows a picture of Ronnie Peterson in the Lotus 72. Have a look and you will understand what is meant by a controlled four wheel drift.

Awesome pics, looks good :thumbsup:

Obviously, i am talking about controlled drifting. Everything else is called "losing control"

Thread Information