Thread: noob questions

noob questions

I haven't been here long and i'm only 15 so go easy on me.

1) What's the diffenence between fuel injection and carboraturs and what do they do?

2) I hear a lot in fwd cars if there is too much tourque you just spin your wheels. Why?

3) I understand how a supercharger works, but how does a turbo?

4) I have heard that in F1, some say over 900 bhp is too much to
    turn with, why?

5) What makes a Hemi a Hemi. I know about the Hemispherical heads, but how does it help?

thanks in advance.
    American Muscle: twice the cylinders, twice the awesome!

megotmea7, u got another one here !!

Mr. Megotmea7 will be with you shortly !!!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

"Mr. Megotmea7 will be with you shortly !!!" lol

well anyway some of these questions can be answered with www.howstuffworks.com but ill try and help

1.basicaly fuel injected cars rely on computer(more specificaly the ECU) to control fuel delivery(thru injectors) ignition timing, and a/f mixture, carburated cars are strictly mechanical using carburator for the a/f mixture and an mechanical ignition (some fuel injected car also use a mechanical ignition also) thru a distributer cap, some prefer the fule injected cars for their tweakability others like the carburater for its simplicity.
    2. its all in how the weight shifts and inertia, when a car is launched all its weight is pushing(or pulling) against the drive wheels in the oposite direction of motion, this weight shift creates less weight on the front tires and therefor less grip while increasing weight to the rear tires and increasing grip on FWD cars the weight transfer off the front wheels(the drive wheels) creates less grip to go to the task of accelerationg the car(at the same time on RWD cars it creates more grip with the rear tires(the drive wheels) and therefor has an advantage). with any car you can have enough power going to the tires to break them loose (FWD, RWD, and AWD) its just with the layout of FWD cars, weight shift creates less grip for the drive wheels and allows the tires to break loose easier.
    3.(a prime example of what can be answered at howstuffworks) a turbo charger has the same task as a supercharger in fact it its a type of suprecharger but instead of being belt or chain driven it is driven by the exhaust gasses of the car its on, all turbos have 2 main parts a compressor side and a turbine side, the job of a compressor side(sometimes refered to as the cold side) is to compress the air(creating boost) for the engine to use in increasing the size of the combustion creating more power and more exhaust gasses to drive the turbo. the turbine(or hot side) of the turbo drives the compresser wheel by-way-of the shaft with the exhaust gasses pushing on the turbine wheel(which is also conected to the shaft on their way out thru the exhaust system. heres a cutaway of a turbo:

and a labeled cuataway:

a turbo relies on something called a waste gate to limit boost instead of different sized pullys on superchargers, the wastegate diverts some of the exhaust gasses away/around the turbo limiting its speed and the amount of boost it produces
    the advantages of a turbo over a supercharger are a turbo takes an insignificant amount of the engines power to run it(the bigger it is the more power it takes to spin it) taking the most power at lower rpms while the turbo is "spooling" once up to speed the turbo saps little to no power while producing boost, while with a supercharger you get instantainous boost (due to the fact that it is conected directly to the engines power) but they sap power thruout the entire powerband, i could go on for hours about the different types of turbo aplications and sizes but you can go to how stuff works to get the general idea, if you have more questions come back and ask.
    4. i dont really watch f1 but i would guess if you have too much power you could break the tires loos and slide off the track but throttles arnt on-off, you dont have to go a WOT all the time, in corners the driver should be able to determin how much gas to give it to keep the car under control, the most probable reason is the rules are limit the power for safty reasons.
    5. now on this one your going to have to talk to one of the more american domesticly inclined people cause i dont really know and feintly care, i just know they use the design in many drag cars and it is good for making power
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Originally posted by megotmea7
    "Mr. Megotmea7 will be with you shortly !!!" lol

well anyway some of these questions can be answered with www.howstuffworks.com but ill try and help

1.basicaly fuel injected cars rely on computer(more specificaly the ECU) to control fuel delivery(thru injectors) ignition timing, and a/f mixture, carburated cars are strictly mechanical using carburator for the a/f mixture and an mechanical ignition (some fuel injected car also use a mechanical ignition also) thru a distributer cap, some prefer the fule injected cars for their tweakability others like the carburater for its simplicity.
    2. its all in how the weight shifts and inertia, when a car is launched all its weight is pushing(or pulling) against the drive wheels in the oposite direction of motion, this weight shift creates less weight on the front tires and therefor less grip while increasing weight to the rear tires and increasing grip on FWD cars the weight transfer off the front wheels(the drive wheels) creates less grip to go to the task of accelerationg the car(at the same time on RWD cars it creates more grip with the rear tires(the drive wheels) and therefor has an advantage). with any car you can have enough power going to the tires to break them loose (FWD, RWD, and AWD) its just with the layout of FWD cars, weight shift creates less grip for the drive wheels and allows the tires to break loose easier.
    3.(a prime example of what can be answered at howstuffworks) a turbo charger has the same task as a supercharger in fact it its a type of suprecharger but instead of being belt or chain driven it is driven by the exhaust gasses of the car its on, all turbos have 2 main parts a compressor side and a turbine side, the job of a compressor side(sometimes refered to as the cold side) is to compress the air(creating boost) for the engine to use in increasing the size of the combustion creating more power and more exhaust gasses to drive the turbo. the turbine(or hot side) of the turbo drives the compresser wheel by-way-of the shaft with the exhaust gasses pushing on the turbine wheel(which is also conected to the shaft on their way out thru the exhaust system. heres a cutaway of a turbo:

and a labeled cuataway:

a turbo relies on something called a waste gate to limit boost instead of different sized pullys on superchargers, the wastegate diverts some of the exhaust gasses away/around the turbo limiting its speed and the amount of boost it produces
    the advantages of a turbo over a supercharger are a turbo takes an insignificant amount of the engines power to run it(the bigger it is the more power it takes to spin it) taking the most power at lower rpms while the turbo is "spooling" once up to speed the turbo saps little to no power while producing boost, while with a supercharger you get instantainous boost (due to the fact that it is conected directly to the engines power) but they sap power thruout the entire powerband, i could go on for hours about the different types of turbo aplications and sizes but you can go to how stuff works to get the general idea, if you have more questions come back and ask.
    4. i dont really watch f1 but i would guess if you have too much power you could break the tires loos and slide off the track but throttles arnt on-off, you dont have to go a WOT all the time, in corners the driver should be able to determin how much gas to give it to keep the car under control, the most probable reason is the rules are limit the power for safty reasons.
    5. now on this one your going to have to talk to one of the more american domesticly inclined people cause i dont really know and feintly care, i just know they use the design in many drag cars and it is good for making power
    thanks man that helped me out alot!
    five best cars of the day according to my friends:

no problem

megotmea7 good effort that was explained really well, r u an engineer or somthing?

no just a guy hoplessly obsesed with cars and everything related...

Thread Information