View Poll Results: What will your choice be?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Petrol V8

22 48.89%
  • The Diesel unit

23 51.11%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrol Vs Diesel

Well i recently have had a drive of a ford courier turbo diesel and while i must say it wasnt a thrilling drive (it accelerated like my 80 datsun sunny) it effortlessly pulled and got great fuel eccomy i have also drivan a diesel powerd gemini (isuzu) and it was a true slug it still efortlessly drove around and its fuel ecconmy was unbelievable!
    I personally would prefer to own a petrol motor as the high resale price of diesel motors and the cost to replace them on the off chance somthing gos wrong. But i wouldent complain about having one in a family car just drop the family in and whatch it go.

well im assuming that gemini's diesel unit wasnt anything considered high-tec, or the courier for that matter which simply runs a 3 valve SOHC head and intercooler

Well high tech or nottheir both quite expensiveunits to maintain and reapce should anything go wrong. And the gemi was very smokey too

Originally posted by Falcon500
    Well high tech or nottheir both quite expensiveunits to maintain and reapce should anything go wrong. And the gemi was very smokey too
    Not to mention it is was considered to be a joke - what a piece of crap that shows the pandemonium that struck with the 'oil crises' and there are 100's of 'new' cars to come out of the late 70's that were just as bad.

Well the oil crisis did hit very hard and everyone had a panick attack and in the process choked up a lot of their cars with pollution gear and other fuel saving gizmos. There recently have been stories about another fuel crisis that will surface in the next decade my old man laughed and said for the three hes lived through they have always found new wells and itll more then likely be in the next 50 we might have genuine problems.
    Not that we might get that far victoria intends to ban pertol powerd cars 2015 i doubt theyll do it but if they do the other states will more then likely follow

victoria intends to ban pertol powerd cars 2015 i doubt theyll do it but if they do the other states will more then likely follow
    Yeah and California were not going to let any car manufacturer sell cars in their state unless 5% of them were zero emissions - in 1995.

its all just BS to get the government off the manufacturers backs. honda and toyota i think currently rent fuel cell cars in Japan, so its almost time for the governments to start laying off a bit with the introduction gof hydrogen/electric power

I dont like the idea of these hydrogen powerd cars despite all the good things that come with it there must be some downsides. And they almost practically cant get rid of all petrol cars by 2015 notice how i said practically there just doing to well i dont know there just saying that stuff to make the greens happy so they can share seats/votes in parliemnt.

I dont like the idea of these hydrogen powerd cars despite all the good things that come with it there must be some downsides. And they almost practically cant get rid of all petrol cars by 2015 notice how i said practically there just doing to well i dont know there just saying that stuff to make the greens happy so they can share seats/votes in parliemnt.
    Are you nuts? You think there are environmentalists sitting in parliament? Hardly

Before you underanalyze, you should probably take a look at the facts. There's plenty of information online, and most of it should help you reach a better conclusion. Assuming downsides it the wrong way to go.

I wrote a 36-page research essay on this whole thing a while back, and I only see one real disadvantage: The production of the hydrogen itself. That's the most costly. Other than processes like electrolysis, hydrogen is usually derived from fossil fuels, therfore eliminating the sustainable properties that make it so desireable.

The fact is, using standardized hydrogen fuel is a direction that we definately need to go in. Having people around in denial and political figureheads like George W. Bush is only holding us back from the real Government subsidization that should be going on.

Not only a few envirometalist here but a whole party called the greens (bunch of grass eating hippies they are) our local premier bob carr amember of the labour party enjoyshaving the greens support in parliament and didnt do any back burning of cleaning up of debris as well as not giving us enoughfire fighters which resulted in the fire which englufed the capital city (incidently the same city i live in) but thats not what were talking about here.
    Im not saying its a bad system i hardly said boo about it the worst thing i directly said was i dont like it. iprefer fossil fuels I dont like electric cars one iota and im not too big on other fuels althoughif alcahol was a more raliblefuel and didnt require having the lines flushed every month i wouldent mind that.

im thinking you just dont want your car to sound like an electric shaver

diesel.

or hydrogen.

Originally posted by fpv_gtho
    im thinking you just dont want your car to sound like an electric shaver
    I shave manually, what is the sound I am missing?

Originally posted by Falcon500 Im not saying its a bad system i hardly said boo about it the worst thing i directly said was i dont like it. iprefer fossil fuels I dont like electric cars one iota and im not too big on other fuels....
    Yes, I realised what you said, but typically you should try to give some reasons why you say it.

You don't like the idea of hydrogen-powered or alternative fuel cars. Why?

Originally posted by henk4
    I shave manually, what is the sound I am missing?
    it can depend. it could vary between bugger all to the sound of a beehive

Thread Information