View Poll Results: What will your choice be?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Petrol V8

22 48.89%
  • The Diesel unit

23 51.11%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrol Vs Diesel

Originally posted by fpv_gtho
    it can depend. it could vary between bugger all to the sound of a beehive
    I would prefer the bugger all sound, whatever that is. Anyway, if I want to hear engine sounds the diesel gives you more, but strangely enough uninformed passengers in my car always have difficulties in accepting that it's a diesel they are (not) hearing.
    On another note why are people fitting out cars with these very expensive sound systems which make it impossible to hear engine noises anyway especially when they turn op the bass in such a manner that you can hear them coming from miles away.

Originally posted by Egg Nog
    Yes, I realised what you said, but typically you should try to give some reasons why you say it.

You don't like the idea of hydrogen-powered or alternative fuel cars. Why?
    Well the system has been reasoonbly unsecsessful in its testing fromlasti heard (i dont follow it hardly at all)ive heard stories about the possible explosions that could occur when the cars crash (wether their true or not is another matter) and just a general disturst for the idea.

Originally posted by Falcon500
    Well the system has been reasoonbly unsecsessful in its testing fromlasti heard (i dont follow it hardly at all)ive heard stories about the possible explosions that could occur when the cars crash (wether their true or not is another matter) and just a general disturst for the idea.
    1. When Nickolaus Otto invented the first four-stroke Internal Combustion Engine, he got it right the first time. Good thing too, because otherwise he would've given up.

2. For some reason people worry about hydrogen exploding people its a flammable substance. Oh wait a second, so is gasoline... the risks are very similar to those "risks" that we take driving around every day.

Also, Hydrogen dissipates much faster than gasoline (and isn't environmentally harmful), so in the event of a spill hydrogen is remarkeably more safe.

Also, Hydrogen dissipates much faster than gasoline (and isn't environmentally harmful), so in the event of a spill hydrogen is remarkeably more safe.
    i was reading about a test one proposed hydrogen fuel tanks and they took a full one and shot a high velocity incinidary round at it and after the initial explosion of impact and slight combustion the gas escaped so quickly it put itself out and dissipated into the atmosphere befor any serious damage. correct me if im wrong but hydrogen is less dense than helium at one atmosphere
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Originally posted by megotmea7
    i was reading about a test one proposed hydrogen fuel tanks and they took a full one and shot a high velocity incinidary round at it and after the initial explosion of impact and slight combustion the gas escaped so quickly it put itself out and dissipated into the atmosphere befor any serious damage. correct me if im wrong but hydrogen is less dense than helium at one atmosphere
    Yes, hydrogen is the least dense of all known elements. I beleive helium is about .6 the density of air, while hydrogen is about .2 or .3

Anyhow, thank for backing me up here.

EDIT: I am a stupid chemist Read below if you want some decent information. Mine were estimates, and they were wrong. Thanks fvp_gtho

well to give a clue about the density of hydrogen, helium and oxygen, theyre atomic weights are 1, 4 and 16 respectively, although i dont know what "air" would be................

i dont think "air" is a scientific element lol
    Dont Drink and Drive home Drift and Slide Home

yeah, air like sea water, is something u can only be sure whats in it by testing all of it
    I am the Stig

to give an indication, air is about 21% oxygen and 78% nitrogen
    I am the Stig

Petrol Obviously

Petrol Enignes are any day better because cars fly with petrol instantly no matter what the power , displacement or torque of the car. But, Diesel Engines need a very high performance units and also high performance diesel and still lag behind petrol cars atleast in terms of acceleration and smoothness but, in the long run Diesel proves to take the car to a higher top speed.

Quote Originally Posted by ravi_mody
    Petrol Enignes are any day better because cars fly with petrol instantly no matter what the power , displacement or torque of the car. But, Diesel Engines need a very high performance units and also high performance diesel and still lag behind petrol cars atleast in terms of acceleration and smoothness but, in the long run Diesel proves to take the car to a higher top speed.
    What?!??

That was basically the most illogical string of facts ever. Can you try to explain exactly what you mean?

Same here, i didnt get what you ment, so whats better (from your point of view)?

Personally i am not going to lay forward my opinion, first im gonna have to do more research into Disel engines.
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

My friends parents own a 98 Ford Mondeo Turbo Diesel 1.8, and actually has much less engine noise than my mums 96 petrol Toyota Corona, isn't smoky, and altho having a classic diesel sound, it does sound very refined and actually quite nice! They also have a 86 Ford Falcon LPG, and thats, err, bit noisy...

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    My friends parents own a 98 Ford Mondeo Turbo Diesel 1.8, and actually has much less engine noise than my mums 96 petrol Toyota Corona, isn't smoky, and altho having a classic diesel sound, it does sound very refined and actually quite nice! They also have a 86 Ford Falcon LPG, and thats, err, bit noisy...
    And you have to realise that the 1998 mondeo is still a conventional turbo diesel, so no common rail system, which turns every diesel into a pussycat.

You need to make your sig "UCP's Most Hardcore Diesel Fanboy"

Thread Information