View Poll Results: What will your choice be?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Petrol V8

22 48.89%
  • The Diesel unit

23 51.11%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Petrol Vs Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    You need to make your sig "UCP's Most Hardcore Diesel Fanboy"
    Adept would probably be better, fanboy sounds that you are aiming for the unobtainable, but I have already obtained it.

Well hop to it!

Although you cant ignore recent development of diesel engines and such facts that they are just as if not faster than their petrol counterparts. And they are almost dont rattle when cold. And they have more usable torque.
    For me, petrol win everytime as you can rev it! If would make suitable noise and not run out of puff as diesels do at high revs. You actually need to work through the gears to stay in the power band, where as powerful diesels are better suited for auto boxes as you have to change very early and often to stay within 2,000-3,000 rpm .
    Have you ever noticed how people disappear when you start 'talking cars'? Thats because you are a http://www.powermaniac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ru$$ky
    For me, petrol win everytime as you can rev it! If would make suitable noise and not run out of puff as diesels do at high revs. You actually need to work through the gears to stay in the power band, where as powerful diesels are better suited for auto boxes as you have to change very early and often to stay within 2,000-3,000 rpm .
    Revs are not a purpose per se. For petrol engines they are necessary to get the most out of it. For diesel engines you just don't need them for effortless and still impressive propulsion. It is not that you have to change very early, it is that you can change very early and still gain unexpected speed. Apart from all the economy stuff this makes a modern diesel such a comfortable ride in modern (too busy) traffic.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Who wants Deisel? smelly old things, rattle and clank, dirty black oil when you wind off that oil filter for it's first service, Pooooowy!
    Gimme some PETROL
    UCP's Biggest Murph Fan, dont tell him though, he might think im a bit gay.

Thats me and Murph on the left. Im the taller one.

Petrol ofcourse

Why do i choose petrol V8? Well, if that 300ponies is from an NA V8 (first post didn't say anything about turbo charged the petrol unit), ofcourse i will choose it. Reasons:

1. NA petrol V8 still have tuning space, and without tuning it is already 300horses.
    2. Diesel V8 is turbocharged and yet provide lower power.

These are what will i do after i get that petrol V8 unit:
    1. Find a set of forged piston
    2. Install twin turbo running on 30psi each, which should give me something like 900ponies.
    3. Install a high angle racing cam
    4. Get some slick tires
    5. Install a set of 500bhp NOS direct port shot
    6. Install new custom made ecu
    7. get rid of all the junk at the back of the trunk and stuff (etc. rear sit, spare tire)
    8. Short ratio gear box..
    9. install launch control
    10. Burn rubber in local drag strip..

oh.. u mean without modifying?

i've just come back from driving a hired audi A3 2.0 Turbo Diesel on the Autobahn (highway with no speed limit). I reached 200km/h (120mph) at 3500rpm in 6th. very comfortable. in total we had the car for 4 days, drove for 4 hours on the autobahn averaging 150-160km/h (90-100mph) plus many hours of slow country and city driving. the whole journey consumed about 45 litres of diesel and we drove for about 500km (about 300miles). it had lots of poke (accelerated away from many bigger mercs and bmw's) and was very responsive with the turbo. to me, the A3 2.0TDi is one of the best cars i have driven for perfomance and economy. put your foot down and be surprised as it throws you into your seat, while still feeling comfortable. lots of torque.

In this case I would take the Diesel...
    most of the reasons have been mentioned..
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

All of this will eventually become irrelevant, if the Mercedes-Benz F700 Concept is anything to go by.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    All of this will eventually become irrelevant, if the Mercedes-Benz F700 Concept is anything to go by.
    Im currently looking into hcci, its very interesting. Besically now having an ecu and combustion chamber clever enough we can have petrol compression ignition predicatble and controllable..what a technical achievement! This is great for avoiding the production of N0x but the lower compression ratio means lower thermal efficiencies. The low Cr may be due to turbocharging in some of my examples though. The big advantage lies with low CO2 output, so thinking of the benfit of that (UK)...low tax...who needs low tax?...work rep cars...whats the best rep car?...The vectra hence its pioneering a hcci engine aswell as merc.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm not sure what concept it is.. I have been kind of busy lately to read up all the stories with the pictures. Is it equipped with that engine that can work as a diesel and a petrol ? I read about that thing two months ago, very interesting technology indeed !!! Let's hope they can make it reliable enough, as that I heard was the biggest problem so far..!

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    I'm not sure what concept it is.. I have been kind of busy lately to read up all the stories with the pictures. Is it equipped with that engine that can work as a diesel and a petrol ? I read about that thing two months ago, very interesting technology indeed !!! Let's hope they can make it reliable enough, as that I heard was the biggest problem so far..!
    Yup, that's the one.
    Visca Catalunya!

Good diesel is winning.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Sure, the dream is cool..but how many of you own diesels.

The outcome of the pole is nonsense. Test drive a diesel and then test drive a GAS car...diesels aren't much fun. Who gives a damn about their alleged fuel savings....ALLEGED. And the lower emissions of diesels is straight-up foolishness.

Diesels are a big, dirty lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In View Post
    Good diesel is winning.
    And what do you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by -What- View Post
    Sure, the dream is cool..but how many of you own diesels.

The outcome of the pole is nonsense. Test drive a diesel and then test drive a GAS car...diesels aren't much fun. Who gives a damn about their alleged fuel savings....ALLEGED. And the lower emissions of diesels is straight-up foolishness.

Diesels are a big, dirty lie.
    It pains me to say this, but you couldn't be more wrong. If you want good performance and not to invest your whole salary in gas you have to have a diesel. For instance the latest BMWs are amazing. The BMW 120d has 186bhp and 394Nm (291ft-lb) does 0-100km/h in 7"3 seconds and still does 6,2l/100km (37,9 US mpg). And those are measured figures, not the manufacturers claims.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information