Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mazda Miata vs Toyota MR2

lol cant afford it

Quote Originally Posted by NAZCA C2
    Does anybody have any pics of the special edition Miata from about year ago. I think it was called the Shinsen version.
    2003 Mazda let out this version of the mx-5. there wasnt anything different about it except for a limited slip, different paint options and a finer interior, plus all the little trinkets, like badges, chrome and leather.

oh by the way, im a mx-5 fan too. since both these cars are realistically meant for the backroads, im just gonna give some slalom stats (im comparing the mr2 and the mazdaspeed version of the miata, because they are more similar in terms of pricing; msrp of mr2 and speed mx-5 respectively is 25,660 and 25,730):

mr2 spyder: 66.1 mph
    mazdaspeed mx-5: 67.8 mph (roadandtrack)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    cabrios and roadsters are 2 dif things

cabriolets are more on the luxurious laid back type car while roadsters are ment to be zippy toys
    Dude!! I never said roadsters and cabriolets were the same thing! I just said they showed the S4 convertible in the same episode... Dude!!... Dude?!? :P
    Alright brain... you don't like me and I don't like you... but lets just do this...

i wasnt refering to u hell

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    i wasnt refering to u hell
    my bad... thats probably why you quoted my post then?
    Alright brain... you don't like me and I don't like you... but lets just do this...

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Unleashed
    my bad... thats probably why you quoted my post then?
    i quoted rs6

I compared both these cars thoroughly earlier this year and each has its advantages. I like the MR-S for its lighter weight, its mid-engine design, its better top mechanism(doesn't need cover when open), its better acceleration, and phenomenal gas mileage. The MX-5, I like its design both interior layout and body, the feel of the steering and shifter, and price as it's cheaper by several thousand $. In the end I decided on a base Miata with 5-speed, cost be just under 20K. The Toyota dealer wouldn't deal and 25K for a MR-S seems a little steep. Base Zs can be had for just under 30K. Price was the major deciding factor and I've found the Mazda has more of a following.

As for the comment being hairdressers cars: Both could use a little more power. But it requires a lot more skill to fly through a mountain pass without electronic assists that so many sportscar have these days. In the curvy stuff where more powerful cars can't always use their power advantage, the MX-5 pulls away. I have yet to run against a MR-S in the hills but feel confident because it's easier to push the Mazda's limits.

Handling: One real advantage the MR-S has is its rear weight bias allowing late braking. Especially on a downhill run, braking for a corner can unload the rear wheels and unless the car is perfectly straight will start bringing the rear around. This can too easily be induced in the MX-5, as many times I've adjusted the direction of the car with trailing-throttle oversteer or with a quick jab to the brakes. It's fun but when you're sliding you're losing time . Now I hear that the MR-S is twitchy, meaning the factory suspension settings havn't taken full advantage of the mid-engine layout.

The MR-2 (2nd gen)

... these new cars, I dunno. but If we were comparing the first generation of these two, the MR2 wins hands down. better yet, just get a mk.1 Supercharged MR2, and you beat them both. Plenty of trunk space, superior Mid Engine handling (yes, it is indeed better.) and more power.

Why Did You Copy My Thread?!?!?!

mattg, this thread was made before you joined.

Toyota MR2
    Reach for the moon! Even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars!

MR2, heres why:

1. The torque (and the hp for that matter) com much lower in the RPM range for a much better start.
    2. Although they are both feather-weights, the mr2 is 200 lbs lighter which easliy makes up for 4 hp.
    3. Mid-engined
    4. Looks (Well i dono, looks dumb and boxy in the pic..... but i have been in a black one at it LOOKS awsome.)

BTW: The MR2's seats are comfy

Sure there are reasons the Miata is better..... but who cares!!!!
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Thread Information