Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: what is this car?

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi
    does anybody know it?
    compared to the size of the pavement it almosts looks like a scale model
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    (G) the 2nd one shows original wheels and is 100% stock
    Vauxhall Magnum of some sort?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Vauxhall Magnum of some sort?
    Thanks for having a go .. but no. It's not a Vauxhall per sé nor badged with any Vauxhall model nomclemature. For a clue, these vehicles had 290hp

No answer yet for C, D, G and H ..

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi
    does anybody know it?
    I know that one is an Isuzawa Zoragy.

Quote Originally Posted by Innotech
    I seem to remember you from surfing old-school Need For Speed forums waaay back in the day. You're the one who knows pretty much every supercar ever made

Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I seem to remember you from surfing old-school Need For Speed forums waaay back in the day. You're the one who knows pretty much every supercar ever made

Am I right?
    yep

thanks
    12 cylinders or walk!

and no one can wonder why we have heard so little of this vehicle
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

aaargh.... (g) this is just making me crazy, at the risk of repeating i still have to say that looks like some sort of vauxhall/magnum/opel/manta/hc/viva/gls (hows that for an answer? perhaps i got a letter right? ) Likely factory tuned by some tuning company of that day... Tricky cars indeed and this was the "easy" one...

And your mystery car henk4 resembles the '39 Opel Kapitän... it probably isn't it but my guess it's a british/german car from the same year.... (note: Guess )

hmmm.
    I'm not really helping, am I?
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Sorry Pando, I don't want to drive you insane

It seems that mystery cars here remain so, until they are identified by others. I will respect that practice as I'm new here, so I won't reveal the identity of (G) unless requested. Yes it obviously shares its bodyshell with Vauxhall Firenza .. but not any of its GM powertrain .. nor was it built or sold in the Northern Hemisphere. It is R/H/D only, a homologation special. Hope that helps

I missed some of the older posts so allow me to 'tidy up' as I'm moderately familiar with older cars and quickly recognised these ones:

Megotmea7's post #72 of the sedan, it is a final-series Kaiser. I could find the approx year but from memory 1954 or later

Henk's post #77 the red convertible (not Roadster) is the very attractive 1939 Ford

Henk's #78 sedan is also from 1939, this time a Buick sedan. The silly grille design impeded airflow causing overheating in hot weather. It's a SWB version so either Special or the mighty Century

Henk's #79 is a 1938 Ford Deluxe Fordor sedan

Henk's #80 I'm not yet sure, but it reminds me most of early 1930s Hupmobile. Or maybe a lower Studebaker or Frankin. Or Oakland .. so many to choose!
    Last edited by nota; 06-23-2005 at 05:40 PM.

yep its the nifty 3seater Jowett Javelin. An old neighbour had one - great machine!

Here's a personal favorite

Car (C)
    Chrysler Scarab!
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Chrysler Scarab!
    Scarab YES! .. Chrysler, no

Named after the designer/jouralist/aviator who in earlier times .. as chief engineer at the Scripps-Booth Company followed only for him to join the aircraft division of the Packard Motor Car Co. Here he was credited with inventing the first cantilever-winged, internally braced aircraft in the US. He also had a hand in the design of the famous Ford Tri-Motor aircraft.

Btw this prewar MPV featured monocoque body in aluminium, IFS, IRS, lounge-style wickerchair seating and a rear-mounted Ford Flathead V8
    Last edited by nota; 06-23-2005 at 06:31 PM.

it is called the Stout Scarab, I had just remembered Scarab and then saw that Matt had come up with the answer.
    Probably the the fake Firenza is a Holden version, crazy aussies would have put anything in there, although Big Bertha was English.
    Thanks for identifying my "old" mystery cars, but for those I got the answers long ago, because I needed them to rename my scans.

On the day the pic was taken this car (H) did 180mph
    also something Australian....

Car (D) and what a evil beauty
    Studebaker?

Thread Information