Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top Gear Versus 5th Gear which is better

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    Top Gear is FAAAR better, mainly because i actually gain some insight into the pros and cons of the car while Fifth Gear just kind of promotes how great the car is...
    Not to mention Tiff Needel's unbearable annoying-ness.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Not to mention Tiff Needel's unbearable annoying-ness.
    He's just weird. I don't know, something is wrong with the way he speaks. His presenting is alright though.

I've seen bits and pieces of 5th Gear on Youtube, just not whole episodes.

Top Gear is on in a shitload of countries except, of course, the US, which will probably make a half assed knockoff. The hosts of Top Gear just arent afraid to say that the "flappy paddle gearbox" is shit, the ride is like sitting on an old sofa, etc., etc., etc....

jeremy: this car is really great, one of the best in its class
    hammond: so would you buy it?
    jeremy: no

classic

(fifth gear:this car is really great, now spend money in our competition that your not gonna win)

5th gear will always lose with gravel voice VBH
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    fifth gear is more informative... more thorough...
    Not really.

According to Tiff; the new RS6 has a Lamborghini engine, but Audi says it doesn't.

According to Tom; Driving into trees is bad.

I knew little more after the programme than I did before, aside from that the Audi's engine could be described in such a baffling & contradictory way by a "professional journalist".

At best I would describe 5th Gear as "a waste of everyone's time".

If you want entertainment; Top Gear.
    If you want "fact" in video format; Autocar.
    Thanks for all the fish

No matter how much I like Fifth Gear, V B-H, Nedell, Ford, Plato & Bentley, it IS just a cheap copy of Top Gear, at least it was I think 2-series' ago.

Top Gear is by far the superior motoring show, and is much more entertaining too. Plus I live near the studios...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    If you want entertainment; Top Gear.
    If you want "fact" in video format; Autocar.
    Hold on, you're promoting Autocar?!
    I would have picked Top Gear over 5th Gear anyday this time last year, but as Top Gear got slowly less car-orientated, 5th Gear got better. Also, at least the presenters can drive (3 racing drivers) and this is from a life-long Top Gear fan (i used to watch the old stuff, though i'm too young to remember presenters before the Wilson/Clarky/Needles/VBH era).
    I still like Top Gear and believe if they tested more cars it'd be brilliant again, which is what Clarkson wants to do, he's apparently very annoyed at the fact cars have taken a back seat. For this reason, I'm looking forward to the next series.

Chris Harris is brilliant for Autocar, though, they should do proper shows over the internet purely for car enthusiasts like us.

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    Hold on, you're promoting Autocar?!
    Why not?

The only problem I have with Autocar is that in order to fill a magazine every week they usually resort to putting quite a lot of "news" that is actually "bollocks" in.

Yada, yada, new Focus Cosworth, blah, blah, Jaguar F-type, new F1, rinse, repeat...

but as Top Gear got slowly less car-orientated, 5th Gear got better.
    Top Gear is not "less car orientated" - it is not as if they do cookery and gardening. It has fewer plain reviews, and is better for it.

Instead they do things that you won't find elsewhere - how many people fill a car full of water and drive about in it to see how well built it was, or investigate whether a VW Camper will float, or whether a Lotus is better than a Helicopter gunship?

Why do all car programmes have to be reviews?

Why can there not be a light-hearted, entertaining programme about people who like cars messing about with cars?

5th Gear already exists, we don't need another.

As for 5th Gear "improving" - it isn't difficult when you start with a "30 min" (15 mins of adverts/coming up/competition/coming up after the adverts is a competition...) and one of the worst TV presenters known to mankind. And Tim Lovejoy, but they got rid of him. Their idea of an interesting programme was to ask a cricketer which VW they liked. Riveting.

Also, at least the presenters can drive (3 racing drivers)
    So? They can drive but can they present?

Reviewing cars is not about how fast the reviewer could lap, but translating the experience to the viewer.

I don't see how repeatedly crashing in the BTCC makes Needel or Plato any better at knowing what understeer is than any other professional automotive journalist.
    Thanks for all the fish

i really love Top Gear, it's just a perfect show with the combination of cars and lots of humor. With perfect camerawork, and obvious chemistry between all the cast members, it just works as a show.

i watch Fifth gear too, but its just different, feels less solid imo. I do like all the presenters, Plato, VBH, Needell and both weird looking fella's, but its just not on the same level as Top Gear

VBH's laughter is infectious though, i love her
    Driver for Ultimatecarpage.competition
    Team Manager of Ultimatecarpage.competition

NGT Champion ZAC2 League
    Team Champion ZAC2 League
    NGT Champion ZAC3 League
    Team Champion ZAC3 League

I think you are a **** . Fith Gear is boring as ****. Top Gear is funny and they are more appeling then being overly sirios!

Quickly writen

Quickly writen = badly read

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Visser View Post

VBH's laughter is infectious though, i love her
    Fifth gear is a car show while Top Gear is just an entertainment show that features cars

5TH gear for me

Without any doubt i can say Top Gear
    I'd like to share this site with you since i am a big Top Gear fan: dodgy link with ads and "sexy russion girlfriend" pop-ups --- NO THANKS/
    All Top Gear episodes on that site
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 09-07-2010 at 01:34 AM. Reason: removed the link

Thread Information