Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow

Re: Re: OH MY GOD !!!!

Originally posted by MMO
    I believe you're wrong and SL500 is correct. That pic is of the convertible SLR, which hasn't been confirmed for production, therefore it IS the concept model. Mercedes only had three SLRs in Frankfurt and all were coupes. there haven't been any production convertible images released on the press site yet.
    Yes,i said it at first
    hehehe,Misho

its not a '99 pic though ! so i still have something to be happy about !
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Originally posted by Misho
    its not a '99 pic though ! so i still have something to be happy about !
    Man that was a 99 pic,you must know that before
    and like what?

Originally posted by SL500
    Man that was a 99 pic,you must know that before
    and like what?
    i really dont understand what u mean man !!
    its all good though !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Originally posted by Misho
    i really dont understand what u mean man !!
    its all good though !!
    hehe
    okay,i understand

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow

Originally posted by henk4
    I like your reply, and I agree that the majority of the visitors here is certainly half my age and possibly also half yours. I was not seriously thinking that you would hate me, I just found it remarkable that my car combines so many of the elements you appear to hate in them. As far as I know Australia has only a very limited automotive tradition, could that partly explain your lack of interest in classic cars? (you will now possibly come up with a whole range of cars that I have never heard of, but never too old to learn)
    Hate is too strong a word for how I feel about those things anyway. The Earliest mass produced car in Australia was the 48-215 Holden sometimes referred to as an FX (1948- 1953). In the eyes of a lot of Australians it is the classic Australian car although it was obviously influenced by US designs. the Holden car company came from a background of horse carriage building and is now owned by GM. I dont know if I can explian my lack of interest in classic cars. I genuinely like the look of modern designs better with some exeptions but I also look at things pragmatically and believe modern cars do nearly everything better than older designs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Bolwell nagris and XY falcons.
    And crisis i find it hard to belive you find no fondness for older cars! while ill stick to my comment what ever floats your boat but there has to be some old classic iron that stirs somtnhing in you.
    I personally find most new cars lacking in persoannlity and soul id prefer an older car anyday of the week though there are quite a few new cars i like.

1948 Buick Roadmaster

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow

Originally posted by crisis
    Hate is too strong a word for how I feel about those things anyway. The Earliest mass produced car in Australia was the 48-215 Holden sometimes referred to as an FX (1948- 1953). In the eyes of a lot of Australians it is the classic Australian car although it was obviously influenced by US designs. the Holden car company came from a background of horse carriage building and is now owned by GM. I dont know if I can explian my lack of interest in classic cars. I genuinely like the look of modern designs better with some exeptions but I also look at things pragmatically and believe modern cars do nearly everything better than older designs.
    Yes I knew about the Holden, and when I saw the picture it reminded me of the Buick that SL500 just posted above. The car looks like a plain Chevry, brushed up with a Buick grille. I think you do have a point that modern cars do (not even nearly) everything better than classics, but somehow there is the charm that you can experience how it was once and enjoy that. Being pragmatical pays off in Holland for classics as they are tax exempt when over 25 years of age.

Originally posted by Falcon500
    Bolwell nagris and XY falcons.
    And crisis i find it hard to belive you find no fondness for older cars! while ill stick to my comment what ever floats your boat but there has to be some old classic iron that stirs somtnhing in you.
    I personally find most new cars lacking in persoannlity and soul id prefer an older car anyday of the week though there are quite a few new cars i like.
    I wouldnt say I have no fondness. I would like to get my hands on a two door HQ LS Monaro. I owned on when I was 20 and for nostalgia I would like one now. They are not exactly classic and it drove like a floppy truck. The 4.2lt V8 probably put out less power than a Hyundai but it looked and sounded good. Their are old cars that I like but real classics, the type manufactured 50 or so years ago really hold little interest. I really am a worshipper of technology.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow

Originally posted by henk4
    Yes I knew about the Holden, and when I saw the picture it reminded me of the Buick that SL500 just posted above. The car looks like a plain Chevry, brushed up with a Buick grille. I think you do have a point that modern cars do (not even nearly) everything better than classics, but somehow there is the charm that you can experience how it was once and enjoy that. Being pragmatical pays off in Holland for classics as they are tax exempt when over 25 years of age.
    I like the tax exempy bit for cars over 25 years. I dont understand how the government rationalizes it though. Cars over 25 years, unless carefully and lovinlgy restored , are generally run down boxes of shit. They invariably produce more emissions and are less economical and less safe. While all of this doesnt particularly stress me, I thought that these factors would be more than enough reason for any government to find an excuse to charge a premium if anything. I thought you Europeans were especially environmentally concious. Our bunch of tax feinds cant get enough of our money. You pay GST on top of a 4% stamp duty. Tax on tax. And it occurs every time a car is sold.

The FX holden crisis put up there its not suprise it reminds you of a an old chev Henk4 the origonal design was based on a buick design they didnt want and the "grey" 6 pot engine was a redisgn of the chevrolet 6 of the time the grey engine depite the fact it didnt have too much in the guts departmart it was suprisingly ecconmical for its time.
    Well crisis the main reson i like older cars is thwe fact that i gre up around 2 65 studebakers and a genuine XW GT (non-HO) i aslo persoanly own a XY falcon 500 which you can view in the MY falcon section in users cars. Also theres my old mans ever faithful datsun 1000 which he has owned since 72 i think it was so its really what i grew up with.
    I find that a lot of newers cars lack sould as i already mentioned they arnt very light at all rougly 1500 kilos of GT compare the the base 6 cylender falcon XT tipping the scales at 1625 kilos or near enough too. Alos coupled with the fact they are much harder to work with are just a few things that make me like older cars.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wow

Originally posted by crisis
    I like the tax exempy bit for cars over 25 years. I dont understand how the government rationalizes it though. Cars over 25 years, unless carefully and lovinlgy restored , are generally run down boxes of shit.
    In our country every day cars hardly last for more than 10 years, if they don't arrive on the scrapyard, they will be exported to Africa or Eastern Europe. What is left are indeed the cared-fore ones, that are used scarcely. Some older cars can be fitted with LPG installations, which burns very clean, others have to be converted to allow the use of lead free petrol. As they overall don't con tribute too much to the general pollution levels, the Government does not care too much as well.

that is very sad indeeed hank4 our country at least allows for historic registration and is also allowing seasonal registration nowdays for cars that are off the road for more then 3 months it allows you to stop the rgistration and start again for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 9 months.

Originally posted by Falcon500
    that is very sad indeeed hank4 our country at least allows for historic registration and is also allowing seasonal registration nowdays for cars that are off the road for more then 3 months it allows you to stop the rgistration and start again for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 9 months.
    Actually I would not call it sad. We don't have to pay tax at all. The population of over 25 year old cars is currently actually increasing, both through imports but also to sticking with 20 year or so cars, which inevitably will turn 25 one day.
    Insurance can be arranged as well, taking into the limited mileage that these cars would normally do. However you would be surprised to see many Citroen DS's on the road here, which are actually used on a daily basis. I think that is a testimony of the great qualities of this car that is still effortlessly capable of keeping up with modern traffic. It requires much more attention then a modern one, but the drive is still very rewarding.

Thread Information