Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow

NO TAX are you serious? well its good to see sort of a revival in the usage of older cars there. Citroen cars are odd to me its mainly the layout of the dash board and other odds and ends they are that differnt i could almost call them alien (not saying their bad cars though just diffrent to what im used too).
    I find that a lot of newer cars need more attention then older ones of course my older cars are datsun which are all but unkillable and the rest are american v8s which hold out fairly well.
    Though i do agree driving somthing with charicter and felling is most rewarding.

One such as this my daily drive, doesn't look tooo alien isn't it? It still has the unique suspension though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 10-14-2003 at 04:35 AM.

That is quite a good looking by anyones standards nice car!
    What i ment was that the dashboard is quite differnt the citroen i sat in it was a challange to find the blinker switch (usually on the stering collum) but in this citoren i was in it was on sort of a switch on the left and side of the dash i wouldent of found it if it didnt have arrows pointing in diffrent diferctions.
    And that uniqe suspension is the Hydramatic suspension or somthing like that isnt it? It rides very smoothly from what i hear and you can adjust it from the cabin. One thing im wondering is there any problems with the suspension? is it hard to maintain any actual problems with it? i huavent had any experiance in the hydromatic suspension.

Thank you, you will be able to get some details about this one and about my car in the Citroen section of this site.

no suspension problems, just needed to change the spheres (after 160000 km). It is maintenance free. There are actually three ride positions for the car, normal, high, which you can only use at very slow speeds or to make it easier for earlier people to get into the car, or when you want to load your trays of beer in the back. There is also a very low position, which is useless.
    During the night the car will sink in, and before departing the system needs a few seconds to built up pressure and lift the car.

The suspension is self levelling and although under heavy loading the car will sink in, as soon as the engine is running the suspension will level the car.

Changing a wheel is easy, just put the car in top position, put the jack where it has to be, and then lower the car again and the wheel will turn in the air. (don't forget to loosen the bolts first).

The whole system is patented by Citroen, and the only other company that ever used it was Rolls Royce but for the rear axle only.

Current dash design and switches are nothing unusual, only in the good tradition of Citroen I disconnected the automatic repositioning of the indicator handle. I have to do that manually, but it stays on whatever movement the car is making.

Amazing system by the sound of it also dont those little english mini metros use the same system? It sounds like really good system i rember my grandfather telling mr stories about the ciroen he got to drive in like the 50s where he could adjust the ride hight.
    Well those switches and dashboard layout are just so very differnt in all the cars ive ever been in id never seen anything like it it lamost reminded mr of a cockpit of a trainer jet.

The mini system used rubber and it was called hydrolastic. The height was not adjustable. The Citroen's system is called hydropneumatic and it uses oil/gas filled spheres. The original dash layout of the DS and the later CX was indeed quite unusual, but after the take-over by Peugeot Citroen was forced to be more conventional, although the current PSA policy appears to allow a more independent stride again but designs as quircky as the DS are not likely to come forward.

By the way the high note of the hydropneumatic system was the Activa version, whereby the system also compensated for body roll. It was first introduced in a very nice purple sports coupe with the same name, of which unfortunately only one was made. It was then later introduced in the Xantia, where the car astonished the ignorant onlooker for being able to corner completely horizontal. at very high speeds Unfortunately this option went at the expense of ride comfort, and it was offered only for a couple of years. (but well ahead of the Mercedes CL of which the Germans claimed that it was the first car to have such a feature).

The germans claim a lot of things! And what a system did they actaully race with it? and if they did was there much sucsess.Another thing i lernt about citroen is they made theworlds first front wheel drive the light 15 of 1934 i think it was.

Originally posted by Falcon500
    The germans claim a lot of things! And what a system did they actaully race with it? and if they did was there much sucsess.Another thing i lernt about citroen is they made theworlds first front wheel drive the light 15 of 1934 i think it was.
    Well the DS won the Monte Carlo Rallye, way back when, it was never designed as a sports car. I have added a few pics of a Maserati engined, and shortened SM and one of a CX which was used is a sort of safari rallye.

And no, the Citroen was not the first front wheel driven car, but indeed one the first that managed to get into mass production

The second XM pic (file size exceeded the maximum

sorry i misquoted my sources first mass produced. So citreon seems to of really had sucsess in rallys pitty also citorens are sort of an uncommon car here the dealer thats near me (in fyswick) seems to only stock a handull of vehicals that are citroens the rest are porsches and peugots.

and the CX

Originally posted by Falcon500
    sorry i misquoted my sources first mass produced. So citreon seems to of really had sucsess in rallys pitty also citorens are sort of an uncommon car here the dealer thats near me (in fyswick) seems to only stock a handull of vehicals that are citroens the rest are porsches and peugots.
    You may also have noticed that Citroen is now in the lead of the constructors WRC championship, albeit with a normally suspended car.

that is also true altoouh i was at the start a little upset with citroen for taking colin McRey off fords hands though i am now quite happy they done it because they hired the Estonian Marko Matin who seems to be quite the future talent.

if he can keep up with Loeb

I really luv the 65 Alfa 2600 Pininfarina

Thread Information