Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hp vs. Torque

Well with Cam McConville, remember he's used to his VY Supercar, so that SS is only stock, and 240-250km/h down Conrod through the chase, he wouldve had the suspension working hard to keep it on the power and through the corner's so that would surely have something to do with it, and then again theres the aerodynamics which wouldve been trying to throw the car around a bit.
    I am the Stig

He's a Good river but i was very suprised at it's speed, If they done it again they would have had brocky start 6 sec behind Cam, And skaife 35 sec after. Last corner hellraiser lol

But i got to admit it, I would love to see the XR8 and SS go a lap or 2 around bathurst the crowd would go ape shit.
    Skaife Vs Ambrose and on the last lap they can stop for KFC lol
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    But you get that with some cars the feel of more speed, Like My mates VR It feels faster on take off and it feels really fast, Then i have driven a VS i feel this lake of power on take off but a more at 25-45 kph When it's moving a 40kph it feels faster then my brothers Ghia, But calculate the speeds and you get a shock
    Like Cameron MCconville said when driving the VZ SS he felt like he was doing a 2.06 it's a feeling. One more also my cousin had a VH it felt faster then my mums VB till we sat next to each other on a main road about 30kph i left the VH for dead.
    But i do feel my mums VB is faster then any other stock VB-VC-VH
    jesus christ .... "feel" is not a science it isnt quantifieble its not measurable

a vw beetle could "feel" fast but is it? hell no

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    jesus christ .... "feel" is not a science it isnt quantifieble its not measurable

a vw beetle could "feel" fast but is it? hell no
    Your point ??

Your point ??
    the difference between sub- and objectiveness
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    the difference between sub- and objectiveness
    Your point ??

Hold onto your butts, gentlemen.... the mathemeticians have taken over the bar!
    he he he...
    Thanks for the lesson, guys. I always wondered about that myself.

Your point ??
    subjective ratings are not a science, you cant measure it therefore it has no value to anyone other than that individual

actual pieces of data which are same for all cases in all situations of the same condition are the only things you can compare

the subject of this thread is horsepower and torque, saying that car A is faster then car B even though car B has more torque because car A feels faster is just jibrish, bunk, garbage, ect.

I thought this was HP vs. torque ??
    And what i said was car A was faster then car B which had nore torque and HP.

The thing about feeling is what most drivers of the FPV GT's get, They don't care what the Testers say about it being slower then car A they feel it's faster more torqey

But my main point all along is torque is over rated.

I thought this was HP vs. torque ??
    And what i said was car A was faster then car B which had nore torque and HP.

The thing about feeling is what most drivers of the FPV GT's get, They don't care what the Testers say about it being slower then car A they feel it's faster more torqey

But my main point all along is torque is over rated.
    but it isnt, torque is what moves the car

and the reason for car a being faster may be because of shorter gear ratios which lowers top speed

horsepower is just a measure of how quickly work is being done, but if there was no torque no work would be done hence no horsepower

horsepower is dependent on torque, not the other way around

and intresting thing i just dug up in some old mag articles, almost all cars are designed to reach 60-62 mph at the top end of 2nd gear, this is because the 2-3 shift will add 0.2-0.3 seconds to the 0-60 time or 100kph time which is highly regarded as one of the most OVERRATED figures in the automotive industry

by having such tall ratio's for 2nd gear the power band is not being used for it's optimal capacity hence making the car slower then it could be

so if you have the money and time, rework those gear ratios for an increase in both topspeed and acceleration without any modifications to the power output of your car !!! although this option WILL be way more costly then conventional methods, but it would be worth a fistful of judos and props ^^

DAHHHHHHH IT JUST HIT ME IN THE FACE

im such an idiot we're here talking about peak torque and peak horsepower and crap but i just remembered something from grade 11 math .... the area under the velocity time chart is the displacement, since acceleration is a function of the car's weight (a constant) speed (dependent) and power/force(from the graph) we can safely argue that whichever engine's torque curve or poewr curve (since the power is dependent on toruqe) has the most area it will be the faster engine (so to speak)

obviously the rpm at which peak torque and peak horsepower affect it's gearing and speed bla bla bla but here comes another figure/statistic to play with ^^

Thread Information