Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Golf (V-1K) GTI 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Guara0007
    For the price of this ugly thing you can get a real car, which makes much more fun.
    Are you anti-german cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Chances are it will be faster because it now has 230bhp, a 30bhp increase.
    So it does, wasn't sure of that. You can prob. expect a 5% increase in performance I suppose.

I am not anti german cars, but I think they are on the wrong way.
    Most of the current cars (except Porsche) are boring or ugly or both and all german cars are too expensive.
    No wonder, they have problems enough to sell their cars.

Most of the current cars (except Porsche) are boring or ugly or both and all german cars are too expensive.
    Actually the Golf isn't that expensive, and even the Golf GT looks to be an even better deal, the prices here are as follow:

Volkswagen Golf GTI: 27.690 €
    Toyota Corolla TTE Compressor: 33.600 €
    Renault Megane Sport: 28.410 €
    Opel Astra OPC: 31.130 €
    Ford Focus ST: 26.140 €
    Alfa Romeo 147 GTA: 32.082 €

Out of these I'd take the 147 GTA, if I could a car still unsold at a dealer (production ended some time ago), but the Golf makes for a very compelling car and it is the second cheapest and a lot cheaper that the 147. The Focus is even cheaper, but the Golf has a better image in my opinion, and while the Volkswagen is too tall for my liking, the Ford isn't a svelte beauty either.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Clearly, someone here has not heard of the BMW 3 Series.

Prices are different in different countries, here it costs €30.859,-
    That's why many Germans buy their new german cars in other EU countries and try to reimport it to Germany.
    Last week one of my friends bought a nearly new Lotus Elise.
    10 months old with 6.400 km on the clock for €28.000,-
    What do you think makes more fun?

Prices are different in different countries, here it costs €30.859,-
    That's why many Germans buy their new german cars in other EU countries and try to reimport it to Germany.
    You cant compare a new car with a second-hand car.

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117
    You cant compare a new car with a second-hand car.
    And you can't compare a 2-seater sportscar to a 4-seater hot hatchback. A couple with kids could get a very practical 5-door Golf GTI, but they wouldn't even consider the Elise.
    Visca Catalunya!

I like that 5-door GTI!

Somehow the marketing guys here figure that if you want more power or better suspension you'll want the 2-door version. Luckily, they sell the Jetta GLI which is essentially a Golf with a trunk but I'd prefer the versatility of the Golf 5-dr GTI.

The same is true with Civic Si, only available in 2-door. I think a little sedan with the 197 hp from the Si Coupe would be a super seller. Why not? Same engine mounting points, same chassis, same everything...

"Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Prices are different in different countries, here it (VW Golf GTI) costs €30.859,-
    No doubt about that.

But if we are comparing them from financial point of view, which one costs more to run and insure?

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    No doubt about that.

But if we are comparing them from financial point of view, which one costs more to run and insure?
    Hang on becuase we could be surprised here. About the insure I'm pretty sure you're right, the Lotus will be more expensive to insure than an inofensive 5-door Golf, but on the maintenance costs things could turn out to be better for the Lotus. Actually the Lotus is more frugal than the Volkswgen (at least the Rover engined cars) and the Rover K-series engine is pretty common so service could be easy and not very expensive. Plus as it has a smaller engine road tax would probably be cheaper. Now I don't know the exact figure for neither of the cars, but I'm only saying that things are not always necessarily the way we expect them to be...
    Visca Catalunya!

Hang on becuase we could be surprised here. About the insure I'm pretty sure you're right, the Lotus will be more expensive to insure than an inofensive 5-door Golf, but on the maintenance costs things could turn out to be better for the Lotus. Actually the Lotus is more frugal than the Volkswgen (at least the Rover engined cars) and the Rover K-series engine is pretty common so service could be easy and not very expensive. Plus as it has a smaller engine road tax would probably be cheaper. Now I don't know the exact figure for neither of the cars, but I'm only saying that things are not always necessarily the way we expect them to be...
    It's a Lotus. Triple all your preventative maintenance costs. Quadruple major servicing.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

You can't be serious?

The engine may be common, but what about accessibility when it comes to changing belts, water pump etc. I'd imagine that is an engine out job.

Then again, I could be talking complte bollocks here. Don't know anything about Elise's service.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    You can't be serious?

The engine may be common, but what about accessibility when it comes to changing belts, water pump etc. I'd imagine that is an engine out job.

Then again, I could be talking complte bollocks here. Don't know anything about Elise's service.
    Mmmm... hadn't thought about that...

Let's say that if the engine was more accessible it could even be cheap to run...
    Visca Catalunya!

Volkswagen Golf V GTI Edition 30

Aint she a beauty ???

The fastest and most powerful production Golf GTI yet is set to kick off celebrations as 2007 marks the 30th anniversary of the original hot hatch – the Mk1 Golf GTI. Despite three decades having passed since the defining GTI was conceived, the spirit of the original is still very much alive in the new Golf GTI Edition 30.

At its heart is an uprated version of the 2.0-litre, ultra-responsive four-cylinder T-FSI engine fitted to the standard GTI. The result is 230 PS – a rise of 30 PS over the standard car. This is mated to a choice of six-speed manual or sequential DSG gearboxes channelling drive through the front wheels.

The new Golf GTI Edition 30 will sprint to 62 mph in only 6.8 seconds (6.6 secs when equipped with DSG) before reaching a maximum of 150 mph.

Joining the dynamic tweaks is a fresh new look for the GTI Edition 30. New body-coloured side skirts are paired with a new chin spoiler for the front bumper and a body-coloured rear bumper. A subtle ‘GTI’ badge sits on the bootlid below tinted rear lights. Completing the look are a set of unique 18-inch ‘Pescara’ alloy wheels.

Inside, the GTI Edition 30 benefits from unique sports seats finished in ‘Interlagos’ cloth trim and completed with leather side bolsters and headrest. The distinctive golf ball gear knob synonymous with the Mk1 GTI also makes a welcome comeback. Elsewhere silver sill plates featuring a unique ‘Edition 30’ logo are joined by the sculpted leather GTI steering wheel complete with red stitching.

Equipment levels for the Edition 30, as on the standard GTI, are high, with ABS, ESP (Electronic Stabilisation Programme), six airbags, radio/CD player, 2Zone electronic climate control and twin chrome exhaust tailpipes all featured.

Just 1,500 examples of the GTI Edition 30 will be available from early January with a range of six paint colours ranging from Candy White to the searing Tornado Red. Prices for the anniversary model start at just over £22,000 for the three-door model, with a £1,330 premium for the DSG-equipped car. The GTI Edition 30 is also available with five doors for an additional £500.

The right hand drive Mk1 Golf GTI – developing a modest 112 bhp – went on sale in the UK in 1977. At the time Leo Sayer was at number one, Star Wars gripped a generation of kids, Concorde was about to take flight for the first time and Volkswagen’s new GTI cost £5,217. The Golf GTI, with its mix of a low kerb weight and a fast-revving four-cylinder engine, sharpened suspension and subtly aggressive looks, became an instant hit. By the time the Mk1 GTI was phased out in 1984 over 19,500 examples had been sold in the UK.
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Thread Information