Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap, Mid engine, Rear Wheel Drive who's the best

Cheap, Mid engine, Rear Wheel Drive who's the best

A couple of my friends have an '85 MR2 and a '74 914. Which is better? Also consider the Fiero even with its reliability issues. They are the only 3 cheap RWD mid engine cars I can think of.
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Haha... obviously the 914

But really, the only other relatively cheap option you have that was sold in North America is the Fiat X1/9... Good luck finding one though

EDIT: There is officially one for sale in the Vancouver area! Wow I'm impressed... it's a '79

http://www.buysell.com/results.asp?r...la=0&srhIssue=
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 10-09-2003 at 06:41 PM.

wasnt the Ohsim also mid-engine ?? If it was, then i think t could be teh best of this bunch.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Haha... I don't know what the Ohsim is, besides for your username spelled backwards

Originally posted by Egg Nog
    Haha... I don't know what the Ohsim is, besides for your username spelled backwards
    Damn you smart Canadians !!

Yeah well, u ruined my joke !!!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

hmmmm....

well you've got three very different cars. A germanic VW, a ricer, and some detroit iron.

The 914 was known for its handling, which is supposed to be superb. It's a light car, with good reliability. From what I know however, it's underpowered. With only a 1.6? a 1.8 4 and a 2.0 6 cyllinder versions, they are all a little slow comparitively. I may have left some versions out, forgive me porschelovers. They were all air-cooled flat engines....which are inherently balanced and just awesome. I think the car was really similar to a VW in build quality and parts. (which isn't a bad thing)

The mr2 had a 1.8 liter NA engine in 85, if i remember, and was relatively light and responsive. I know the least about this car, obviously, but it would be my last choice. It's just not special. If you move up to 1990, you get the option of a turbo engine with a little more weight and refinement. A very nice car indeed.

The fiero was a fairly decent car in the latter years, particularly the 87 GT, which had something like a 2.5 v-6 transverse mounted. They finally got the build spec cleared up and the suspension worked out. They seem to hold their value fairly well. This might be my first choice, as I like the looks and power is good

On another note, aftermarket parts are widely available for the fiero, and the 914 isn't too bad, just don't try to find spring caps, make your own . Also, the 914 and fiero have v8 conversions, making them almost supercars for less than 10k.

For me, Fiero GT, Porsche 914/6, MR2 85. If you threw a 92 in there the standings might change.

For the ultimate cheap midengine car? Check out my project in the User rides section. GM350, fiero front suspension, porsche rear. Maybe the best of both worlds? Final project aim is 5k.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

if i remember the x1/9 is hella ugly. Crazy ugly. Uglier than even the 85 MR2.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Originally posted by sandwich
    hehehe
    85 MR2 is really crap,but cheap

I used to have a 1980 Fiat X-1/9. Fantastic little car to drive but keeping the thing running was a full time job. I still miss it, though.

Another car to add to your list is the short-lived Lancia Scorpion (AKA Lancia Beta Montecarlo in Europe). FInding one is the problem, as they make the Fiat X-1/9 look almost common.

Madman of the People

Some of those after market parts for the fieros are amazing you can lodge a GenIII chev in the back of them and ive even heard stories about the very fine caddilac northstar engines making their way intot them. here a pic of the stinger kit
    Attached Images Attached Images

and the engine.
    Im not a fan of those seurcide doors in the first pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by sandwich
    The x1/9 was a serious abortion. And styled by Bertone. What was he thinking? Just gos to show no ones perfect. I suppose Fiats style brief would not have been helpful. Are all Fiats unreliable or is it a myth. If they are it would explain why the brand is such a basket case these days.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

well the 3rd gen RX-7 is mid-engined but not in the general sense and when you can ick one up for ~15k US its a pretty ceap "mid-engine", rear wheel drive car
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    The x1/9 was a serious abortion. And styled by Bertone. What was he thinking? Just gos to show no ones perfect. I suppose Fiats style brief would not have been helpful. Are all Fiats unreliable or is it a myth. If they are it would explain why the brand is such a basket case these days.
    The x1/9 is not ugly!
    The american version of the x1/9 is ugly!

Let me demonstrate:

Nice european style!

Its the same car, unbelieveable!

I'd prefer the MR2 or the Fiero.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Thread Information