Thread: Highest hp per litre ever?

Highest hp per litre ever?

I just wanted to get some views on what the highest output is per litre in any car ever... naturally-aspirated or not...

Don't rush ahead and say "my CiViC 'cuz its DA bom" because compared to what I'm talking about, that's nothing

So, what is it? So far the most I can think of is one of those old Formula 1 turbo engines, producing up to 1400hp from a 1500cc.

*Does calculations...* Hmm... that's around 930 hp per litre, and pretty close to 1 horsepower from a single cubic centimetre! And you thought the S2000 was special

well as for street legal the late model japnese FD's had 280hp out of a 1.3 liter engie thats a little over 215hp/liter and the highest for a stock production car i think, i dont think you'll beat that F1 cars as far as race cars go tho lol
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

I'm agreed with the post above but for readily available hp per litre now a days the Wankel by Mazda isn't too shabby.
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Well, I'm not so sure if I count that because rotaries operate in a completely different way than standard internal combustion engines... let's just say we're talking about piston engines here

Are we counting how many litres displaced by the moving parts on a jet engine?

well technicaly turbo fan/turbojet engines dont have any displacement unless you caunt inlet to outlet volume of air and even that fluctuates, i see where your coming from but the differences between a piston engine and a rotary and a piston engine and turbojet are so large it isnt worth the comparison

Hahah... shut down

Anyway, how about those piston engines?

well this doesnt have much to do with hp/liter but its still interesting, the 2jz-gte ahs the strongest stock bottom end of any car, the most powerful supra withs stock internals is 980hp, now thats worth some mentioning

as far as I know the honda S2000 has the best relation power/litre of a NA car nowadays, with more than or equal 100 hp/l
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br
    The 56th member of this Forum.

Originally posted by piledriver
    as far as I know the honda S2000 has the best relation power/litre of a NA car nowadays, with more than or equal 100 hp/l
    1. It's actually 120 hp/l

2. Read my first post.

I never really thought of hp/l in terms of F1 cars ....I honestly thought top-fuel dragsters had that in the bag ..... I was wrong !!

Top fuel dragster puts out approx. 6000hp ...typically from a 500 cid (about 8.2 litres) engine ... that works out to around 731hp/l, totally respectable, but obviously not in the same league as the Formula 1 cars .... I wonder if its closer to compare torque/l ?

Originally posted by NoOne
    I never really thought of hp/l in terms of F1 cars ....I honestly thought top-fuel dragsters had that in the bag ..... I was wrong !!

Top fuel dragster puts out approx. 6000hp ...typically from a 500 cid (about 8.2 litres) engine ... that works out to around 731hp/l, totally respectable, but obviously not in the same league as the Formula 1 cars .... I wonder if its closer to compare torque/l ?
    Haha, yeah! I'll they don't produce nearly as much torque, and it's fairly easy to figure out...

At redline (approx. 14,000 RPM), a 700hp F1 car makes...

hp = torque * rpm / 5252
    750 = torque * (14000/5252)
    750 = torque * (2.67)
    torque = 750/2.67

torque = approx. 280 lb-ft @ 14,000 rpm

Not too much is it? Well, not compared to what you might think at least I think an 8.2 litre blown alcohol/nitromethane V8 might produce just a little bit more

peak torque isnt at peak hp, its usualy lower on a car with a 14000rpm redline id say its at about 6-8000rpm.
    and id guess they put out about 350-450ft-lbs or torque at their peak still not much tho

Originally posted by megotmea7
    peak torque isnt at peak hp, its usualy lower on a car with a 14000rpm redline id say its at about 6-8000rpm.
    and id guess they put out about 350-450ft-lbs or torque at their peak still not much tho
    Yes, I'm aware of this, but I only knew the car's redline Just helps to prove my point...

Thread Information