Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Renault 5 Turbo 1980-1985 (Projet 822)

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I've asked the R5 experts in the Alpine club. Some of these guys copmeted in them and still do on the classics, so I'm expecting a definitive answer from them.
    Given that Renault are French I woudln't put it past there to be a little cheating or bending of the rules causing the confusion As there is ONE Q re the book you cited -- the "Tour de Corse" model was already built to compete and was homologated to run against the GroupB NOT Group4 cars .

I'll take the definitive answer when some of the French members of Club Alpine respond to me query. One of them is liekly to even give us engine numbers fomr his car to prove it

At least no one can say we haven't done our homework.
    I have here and old 1985 portuguese motorsport annuary. It confirms the 1597 number but, as you said, it is no more a question of confirmation of numbers cause we all know now that all those engines probably existed.

That friend of yours answer will be accepted as the official tie-breaker!

Have a nice weekend!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Here's a GT Turbo. I'm going to throw it in here with the other Turbo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

When it went on sale in July 1980, the Renault 5 Turbo was the first French car to be equipped with a turbocharger. Drawing on both competition and road car technology, it embodied everything the engineers had learned from motor sport. With an output of 160bhp from only 1397cc, the Renault 5 Turbo produced some astonishing figures.

Commercial designation: Renault 5 Turbo

General (France)
    Type: passenger car.
    Number of seats: 2.
    Fiscal power rating: 6 CV.
    Homologation number: 822 000.

Layout: rear wheel drive, mid-engine installed ahead of the rear axle.

Structure
    Bodywork derived from the Renault 5 comprising a sheet steel monocoque (except for an aluminium roof). Certain parts made of sheet steel of reduced thickness and with special characteristics.
    Aluminium components: doors, rear hatch and roof.
    Polyester components: front and rear wings, front compartment cover, front and rear bumpers, rear wheel arch extensions and sill panels.
    Polyurethane foam components: roof gutter surrounds (rigid); spoiler mounted to rear hatch upper beam.

Bodywork
    3-door hatchback.
    Glazed area: 2.45m2.
    Fuel tank position: beneath and behind the front seats, close to the centre of gravity.
    Spare wheel position: inside front compartment (front wheel).

Back of the Renault 5 Turbo,
    February 1980 Engine
    Four-stroke, turbocharged, four cylinders in-line and vertical, 5-bearing crankshaft, side-mounted chain-driven camshaft, V-opposed valves operated by pushrods, rockers and tappets, cast iron cylinder block, light alloy cylinder head, pressure lubrication by gear-type pump, cooling via sealed circuit comprising pump, thermostat, copper radiator, expansion chamber, 60W electric fan, ducted fan.
    Transistorised breakerless ignition.
    BOSCH " K-Jetronic " mechanical fuel injection, GARRETT T3 turbocharger. Airflow control valve installed upstream of compressor. Maximum boost pressure: 860g/cm2.
    Boost pressure control provided by double-function capsule taking account of information upstream and downstream of the compressor, and operating via a "wastegate" blow-off valve.
    Compressed air cooled via air/air intercooler.
    Type: 840-30 turbo
    Fuel: super-grade petrol.
    Number of cylinders and arrangement: 4 in-line.
    Cylinder block - head materials: cast iron - light alloy.
    Cylinder liners: wet, removable.
    Combustion chamber type: hemispherical.
    Crankshaft main bearings: 5.
    Bore x stroke (mm): 76 X 77.
    Capacity: 1397cc.
    Compression ratio: 7:1.
    Minimum octane (RON) requirement: 98.
    Max power: 116kW SQ (160bhp DIN).
    Max power speed: 6,000rpm.
    Max torque: 221Nm (22.5mkg DIN).
    Max torque speed: 3,250rpm.
    Maximum engine speed: 6,500rpm.
    Camshafts, number and installation: 1 side.
    Camshaft drive: via chain.
    Valve timing diagram: 280° - 520° - 660° - 14°.
    Inlet opens BTDC: 28°.
    Inlet closes ABDC: 52°.
    Exhaust opens BBDC: 66°.
    Exhaust closes ATDC: 14°
    Valve clearance cold, inlet/exhaust: 0.30 / 0.40.

Interior of the Renault 5 Turbo,
    February 1980 Transmission components
    Clutch:
    Diaphragm, MFZ 190.
    Operation: hydraulic.
    Thrust bearing: ball-type.
    Discs - Number -ø ext/int (mm): 2 - 190/134.
    Torsion damper: yes.
    Gearbox:
    Type: 369 (derived from Renault 30 TX).
    Casing - material: Light alloy.
    Forward speeds: 5, all synchromesh.
    Speed at 1,000rpm in 5th gear: 32.87kph.
    Gear lever: floor mounted
    Number of gear teeth Ratio
    1st gear 37/11 3,364: 1
    2nd gear 35/17 2,059: 1
    3rd gear 29/21 1,381: 1
    4th gear 37/35 1,057: 1
    5th gear 33/38 0,868: 1
    Reverse 35/11 3,182: 1

Final drive - ratio: 35/9 - 3,889: 1.
    Overall gearing and speeds in kph at 1,000rpm: with tyres TRX220/55 VR365, tyre rolling circumference: 1850 mm.
    1st gear: 13,08: 1 - 8,49kph 4th gear 4,11: 1 - 27,00 kph
    2nd gear: 8,01 :1 - 13,86kph 5th gear: 3,38: 1 - 32,87 kph
    3rd gear: 5,37: 1 - 20,67kph reverse: 12,36: 1 - 8,97 kph
    Differential: no limited-slip.
    Drive to rear wheels. Type: tripod CVJs, ø 82 mm.

Tour of Italy rally, October
    1977: Renault 5 Turbo Steering
    Steering wheel dia. And number of turns: 330 mm - 3.2.
    Mid-point steering ratio: 17: 1.
    Turning circle, kerbs (m): 10,40.
    Turning circle, walls (m): 10,90.

Suspension
    Front suspension:
    Geometry: independent with double wheel-locating wishbones - load supporting lower wishbone.
    Springs: longitudinal torsion bars.
    Telescopic hydraulic dampers attached to lower arms (front suspension derived from Renault 5 Alpine with modified hub carriers equipped with special bearings and brakes).
    Spring rate at hub (mm/100 kg): 38.
    Torsion bar dia.18.5mm. Anti-roll bar dia. 21mm.
    Camber angle: 0° to less than 30' unladen.
    Castor angle: 11° 30' floor horizontal.
    King pin inclination: 15°.
    Alignment: (mm): + or - 0.5.

Renault 5 Turbo, February
    1982 Rear suspension:
    Geometry: independent with double wheel-locating wishbones - load supporting upper wishbone.
    Springs: coil spring around each hydraulic damper, anti-roll bar dia. 23mm.
    Spring rate at hub (mm/100 kg): 27.
    Camber angle unladen: 2~25' ± 15'.
    Alignment: toe-in + 2.5 to 3 mm.

Wheels
    Front rims: width 135 ø 340mm - rear: width 195 ø 365 mm.
    Offset (mm): Front: - 3.5 - Rear: 15. Attachments: 4.

Tyres
    Dimensions: Front 190/55 HR 340 - Rear 220/55 VR 365.
    Base pressure: Front: 1.5 bar - Rear: 2 bar.

Cévennes Rally, November 22,
    1980: Renault 5 Turbo Brakes
    Type of circuit: I-I split circuit.
    Safety: nivocode.
    Servo dia: 6-inch.
    Master cylinder (mm): type tandem ø23~8.
    Limiter: load-sensiitive front-rear proportioning .
    Front brakes: ventilated discs, 260mm dia; effective dia. 208mm.
    Pad friction surface (cm2): 45.
    Wheel cylinders: ø 54 mm DBA series IV.
    Rear brakes: ventilated discs, 260mm dia; effective dia. 208mm.
    Pad friction surface (cm2): 45.
    Wheel cylinders: ø 54 mm DBA series IV.
    Handbrake: mechanical lever between front seats, operating on rear wheels via two dedicated calipers.

Tour de France Auto,
    septembre 1980 :
    Renault 5 Turbo Equipment: Battery: 12-volt.

Electrical
    Battery capacity: 250/50 Ah.
    Alternator output: 50 A. Integral regulator.

Weights
    Kerb weight: 970kg.
    Distribution: 386kg on front; 584kg on rear.
    Maximum authorized weight: 1,250kg, of which 550 kg on the front and 800 kg on the rear.
    Useful load including driver: 280kg.

Capacities
    Useable fuel tank capacity: 93 I.
    Cooling system including heater: 10.5 I.
    Total engine oil: 3.7 I. Gearbox: 2.8 I.

Touraine Rally (Indre & Loire), Fuel consumption
    At steady 90 kph: 7.1 Litres/100km.
    At steady 120 kph: 10 Litres/100km.
    Urban cycle: 11.2 Litres/100km.

Performance
    Maximum speed: over 200kph.
    Acceleration: standing start to 400m: 15.0sec; to 1,000m: 27.8sec.

Maintenance
    1st service between 1,000 and 2,000km.
    Engine oil change interval: every 7,500km; gearbox: every 7,500km.
    Recommended engine oil: ELF 20W-50 (winter: 15W-40).
    Recommended gearbox oil: Tranself B 80W.
    Main service interval every 15,000km.

Automobile Tour de France
    Rally, September 1980:
    Renault 5 Turbo Specific data for certain versions:

RENAULT 5 Turbo " Tour de Corse "

Engine: Renault 4-cylinder in-line with Garrett T3 turbocharger. Bosch K-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection. Adjustable wastegate. Mixed air/coolant intercooler - Marelli electronic ignition. Pressurised cooling system with aluminium radiator.
    Capacity 1397cc
    Bore - stroke 76 x 77mm
    Max power: 300bhp at 7,000rpm
    Max torque: 33.5mkg
    Gearbox: Type 369, with cooling via radiator and electric pump - 5 forward speeds plus reverse - final drive 9 x 35 - special rally gearing.
    Brakes: foot, hydraulically operated with assistance, ventilated and drilled discs front and rear - manual brake distribution control inside cabin
    Bodywork: steel monocoque with additional aluminium and composite material components
    Dimensions: Length 3.66m - Width 1.74m - Height 1.32
    Weight: 930kg
    Performance: from 170 to 250kph according to gearing

Renault 5 Turbo,
    September 1979 RENAULT MAXI 5 TURBO

Engine: 4-cylinder in-line with Garrett T4/T3 turbocharger - indirect fuel injection by electronically controlled Renault Sport piston pump - Marelli fully mapped "Microplex" ignition - New water pump with increased flow rate. Aluminium radiator.
    Capacity 1527.4 cc
    Bore - stroke 77 x 82mm
    Power 350bhp at 6,500rpm
    Max torque 43mkg at 5,000rpm.
    Clutch: Diaphragm twin-disc. Hydraulic operation.
    Gearbox: Transaxle derived from Renault 5 Turbo with 5 forward speeds + reverse. Final drive ratio 9 x 35, alternatives 8 x 35, 9 x 31 - Strengthened gears
    Brakes: 4 ventilated steel discs - adjustable pedal box with two master cylinders - aviation type safety piping.
    Bodywork: steel shell with aluminium and composite material elements.
    Dimensions: Length 3.60m - Width 1.80m - Height 1.33m
    (+0.88 aerial) - Weight: 905kg.
    Performance: between 178 and 200.4kph according to gearing.

Production:
    Renault 5 Turbo 1:
    1980: 804
    1981: 571
    1982: 445
    Renault 5 Turbo 2:
    1983: 1 345
    1984: 1 497
    1985: 182
    1986: 143

Renault 5 Turbo: History

Tour de Corse, May 1985:
    Maxi 5 Turbo A wizard at rallies and a virtuoso on the racetrack, the Renault 5 Turbo is still an exceptional vehicle more than 20 years after it was first produced. This thoroughbred had a thrusting, athletic look and was the first French car running on petrol to be fitted with a turbocharger. Glowing references that gave it direct access to the world of legendary cars.

An idea... and the will to make it work

As well as the convincing result of a technical demonstration, the Renault 5 Turbo was the culmination of a tale of extraordinary human endeavour. It was the brainchild of Jean Terramorsi, deputy director of the Product Planning Department who was in charge of small-scale production models, and his assistant Henry Lherm in 1976. They wanted to bring out a more powerful version of the best-selling Renault 5, which was then being produced at a rate of 2,400 units per day, by fitting it with a turbocharger. Dubbed project number 822, the assignment would take four years to complete. Senior management gave the go-ahead because they believed it was important to come up with a successor to the Renault 8 Gordini and the Alpine Berlinette.

The specifications

Jean Terramorsi died later in 1976 but his project lived on. The Renault Sport engineers got down to the task of designing the turbo engine, while styling was entrusted to the Renault Alpine company. The specifications were extremely detailed. They stated that the Renault 5 Turbo must be "a powerful, easy-to-drive vehicle with excellent roadholding, capable of shining on the racing circuits with only a small number of alterations". Other requirements included a 1.4-litre turbocharged engine, five-speed gearbox, maximum weight of 950kg, substantial comfort, good soundproofing and an overall appearance similar to that of the Renault 5. It was also quite a challenge to design a racing car on which a roadgoing model aimed at the general public would be based. That was another first.

Monte Carlo rally, January
    1981: Renault 5 Turbo First outing

March 9, 1978: late at night, as about 20 people gathered at a racetrack near Arques-la-Bataille, not far from Dieppe, a growl was heard. It came from the first prototype of the Renault 5 Turbo, which immediately got off to a good start. Among the group were Gérard Larrousse, head of Renault Sport, and Michel Tétu, an excellent all-round engineer who provided the technical input for the Renault 5 Turbo.
    Further tests and adjustments were carried out. Aluminium put in an appearance on the doors and tailgate, and the Garrett company was selected to supply the turbo.

Unveiling in Paris and on to victory

The new car was introduced to the general public at the 1978 Paris Motor Show. Visitors were immediately won over by its compact, dynamic look, strapping wings, and unusual interior treatment. But the Renault 5 Turbo was anything but a showroom car. It was happier eating up the miles on the open road or getting to grips with the rally circuits. It made its racing début in the Tour of Italy in 1979. Next came the 1980 Tour of Corsica, where the car, skilfully driven by Jean Ragnotti, would have been hard to beat but for a mechanical fault. Its first victory came at the Monte Carlo rally in 1981 - only its fourth race.

Monaco, May 1982:
    Renault 5 Turbo Cup An astonishing winning machine

The following season saw Ragnotti's car win the Tour of Corsica. Even so, Renault's absolute priority was its commitment to Formule 1, which meant the R5 Turbo did not take part in the world championship. Nonetheless, a lightweight, independent body was set up to continue the adventure and run national championships for the various subsidiaries. A Racing Customers Department was opened to sell more than 350 racing cars to professional or amateur drivers, offering a choice of five different models. Between 1981 and 1986 the R5 Turbo added to its list of international wins. The drivers who took it to victory were little known at the time but were soon to make names for themselves. They included Carlos Sainz, Didier Auriol, Bruno Saby, François Chatriot and Dany Snobeck.

From racing to current production

The assembly line for the Renault 5 Turbo, which provided a link between racing cars and roadgoing models, went into production at the Alpine plant in Dieppe on May 20, 1980. A total of 802 units, available in red or blue, were made that year, 536 the next year and 352 the year after that.

The European Cup

On April 5, 1981, the Renault 5 Turbo Cup was launched on the Hockenheim circuit in Germany. The first season covered 12 races on the leading European circuits, starting with Formula 1 Grands Prix and the Le Mans 24-hour race. All these events helped to further establish the fame of the car that won hearts and raised dust all over Europe. They also confirmed that its founding fathers were right to have made a commitment to an exceptional human and technological adventure.

Motor sport, adventure and records
    Renault 5 Turbo

Rally champion

Vital statistics

Unveiled in a sneak preview at the Paris Motor Show in 1978, the Renault 5 Turbo was not coy about its ambitions. As Renault's flagship sports car, it embodied the marque's attachment to motor racing and competitive spirit.
    With the Renault 5 Turbo, Renault marked its determination to return to the major rally scene as a winner, running for overall scractch ranking.

Jean Ragnotti and Renault Sport won the French Rally Championship in 1980.
    Consecration came in January 1981. In its third official event, the Renault 5 Turbo achieved a memorable victory at Monte-Carlo. Behind the wheel: Jean Ragnotti.

Data sheet

Name: Renault 5 Turbo Monte-Carlo
    Model year: 1981
    Engine: Renault Turbo supercharged, four cylinders in line - Bore 76 m - Stroke 77 mm - Capacity 1397cc - Bosch injection, Garett T3 supercharger with exchanger - 250 bhp
    Gearbox: Type UN, five forward gears and reverse, torque 9 x 35
    Brakes: Hydraulic foot control power brakes, with ventilated front and rear disks, manual brake force distributor on rear wheels
    Coachwork: Steel frame with elements in aluminium and composite materials
    Dimensions: Length 3.66 m - Width 1.74 m - Height 1.32 - Weight: 900 kg
    Top speed: from 170 to 250 km/h depending on gear ratios.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Here's a GT Turbo. I'm going to throw it in here with the other Turbo.

I still love this car...

Here we go, concise and definitive engines from the Alpine-Renault experts

hi

turbo1 and turbo2 were 1397cc engines

200 turbo2 were built to homologate the maxi 1410cc

maxi 5 turbo 1527cc

the rest is ( bricolage).

fred
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Here we go, concise and definitive engines from the Alpine-Renault experts

hi

turbo1 and turbo2 were 1397cc engines

200 turbo2 were built to homologate the maxi 1410cc

maxi 5 turbo 1527cc

the rest is ( bricolage).

fred

Very concise indeed. I found the "bricolage" statement funny because sunday I've been reeding a magazine wich featured the Maxi Turbo that campained at the Spanish national championship by Carlos Sainz. I immediately thought of our conversation so I went to check the specs. And there was some nice "bricolage". the car had 2100cc and...a sequential gearbox!
    That surely sounds sweet...

Thanks for your investigation.

hah, latest Mille Miles mag arrive and guess which caar is feature ?

Sainz's T2 with the 'big' engine

Hope your French is good .... ( even if not, the pics are worth it )
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-06-2005 at 02:01 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

second part of Mille Miles mag

hah, latest Mille Miles mag arrive and guess which caar is feature ?

Sainz's T2 with the 'big' engine

Hope your French is good .... ( even if not, the pics are worth it )
    That was the same mag I've read. however I find strange that the car has "only" 350bhp after being oversized to up 2000cc. It probably does a little more BHP.

I think I'm a little late to the conversation, but I'd just like to say that that car is probably the coolest French anything ever.

Renault 5 Turbo #7

Renault 5 Turbo #8
    Fasten seat belt while seated

Thread Information