Thread: Motorsport in Kazakhstan

Motorsport in Kazakhstan

Yesterday when your roving reporter was walking back from the office to his (temporary) appartment I came across a totally unexpected example of Motorsport in Kazakhstan. On a square in the middle of the city of Almaty the Kazakh motorsport federation in co-operation with local Subura dealer Astana Motors had set up a sort of double slalom circuit where robbers between two cars had to establish the winner. The first part was straight forward with a slalom past three pylons, but then things became complicated as the contenders had to reverse to go backwards through a gate then continue in the original direction, turn around to negotiate another gate and then backward past the three pylons.
    There was an amazing amount of bad driving on display, particularly finding reverse was obviously not a daily habit.
    Cars participating ranged from the Subaru WRX. MX5's a Celica 4WD turbo to full standard luxury barges like a BMW 5-series, many Audi 100's, a Volvo 850, a number of Toyota Grande's and even a Hyundai Lantra driven by an elderly woman (see pic 1) that much to the pleasure of the crowds managed her car very efficiently and beat a number of over- enthusiastic boy racers in the process.
    I took some pics as of course I had my Leica DBP spycamera with me.
    First pic shows a number of the cars, then there is the Toyota Grande in the process of showing a BMW 3-series who is boss, then there is a brandnew Subaru Legacy that was really driven in anger, and finally a visitor in the shape of a Skyline R33GTR showed up, but unfortunately did not participate.
    Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 10-02-2004 at 08:46 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Awesome post! Thanks for taking the time do get these photos and report it... I don't think we've got another member that could show us this type of thing

Three cheers to the elderly woman in the Elantra

LOL, that rocks! good work Henk!
    The Datto will rage again...

and just why do you have a spy camera?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Why else would he be in Kazakstan? TO SPY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    and just why do you have a spy camera?
    because it is a replica of the old Minox, and everybody who sees it says it looks like a spy camera. It is readily available in decent photoshops I bought mine tax free on board a KLM plane.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Cool, how much was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    Cool, how much was it?
    250 euro. It has a storage capacity of 30 Mb (40 pics of 750 kb) after which it needs to be unloaded on a harddisc. It is too small to accept any changeable discs.

thats like 500 AUD? i think id get something a bit bigger with much more capacity with 500 bucks, but still a spy cams pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    thats like 500 AUD? i think id get something a bit bigger with much more capacity with 500 bucks, but still a spy cams pretty cool!
    It is a very inefficient machine, but the retro looks attract the attention from everybody.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1031944604.html

Well here is the secret machine.

Thread Information