Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HSV Coupe 4

exactly, the clutch in the subaru's in particular the forester and impreza have the same clutch because they are built off the same floor plan, the clutch in them are very 'bitey' the clutch has very little fine movements. Its hard to describe but you sort of either went reasonable fast straight off you couldn't ease it out and say leave at the friction point and stay still on a slope. It just took off quite quickly straight after the friction point.

That willmore then likely help the driver get optimum starts really easy too.

The impreza clutch was taken out of the rally car and toned down a bit but not enough. It became irritating when reversing out of tight areas ect. Fine manouvers became frustrating at times because the clutch just bite in it would be going a little to fast for comfort.

Ive never read that in one of wheels or motors pull downsof the car seems strange theyd forget to mention somthing like that...

Well thats only my opinion. It suits some drivers really well and on a track it wouldn't really matter. Plus that was on an older model impreza and forester its been 2-3 years since so the probably would have changed it but thats how i remember it being

well all i can say is at lest the XR8 is staying consistent, being the slowest of the 3 afterall. it has the lowest gap of only 0.1 seconds between what motor and wheels quote, and motor get it quicker than what ford engineers quote (6.2, supposedly same as what they get with XR6T)

Hi,
    I am new to this forum so be nice.
    The coupe 4 is an amazing car. I saw it on the proving grounds last week and it looks so stable. It is the fastest car ever to go around Holden's ride and handling track. Mark Skaife was behind the wheel though. I guess the only thing I am pissed off with about the coupe 4 is this. The spent alot of money making this car. It wasn't as simple as you might think. For starters, the front drive train needs to go through the sump. Easy, drill a hole through it, which is what they did. However, this limits the flow of oil in the engine and so they found that it was getting hotter than normal. So they changed some of the cooling and everything was fine. Then they decided to use a standard exhaust manifold. The problem is that it almost hits the front diff. This ment that the diff was getting hot, which is never a good thing. This was also a limit to the amount of power the car could have.
    I can't see why they didn't make custom exhaust for these cars. The cross-tac (Quad drive as they call it ) can easily handle the 300Kw engine.

But apart from that, it is still the fastest Holden ever. Good work I say.

Originally posted by HoldenHFV6
    The cross-tac (Quad drive as they call it ) can easily handle the 300Kw engine.

But apart from that, it is still the fastest Holden ever. Good work I say.
    Welcome tot he forums but im going to have to burst your bubble a little. That comment you made about the cross trac doesnt seem to ring true as the holden engineers arnt putting the calloway 300kw engine in it becasue the box isnt well proven enough yet (the are looking at a redisgn). Fastest holden ever ) fasted lap of the you yang testing grounds most certainly which shows the good balance of the car but youll find its terminal speed on the straight is nothing compared to the GTS. And it does both its 0-100 and 1/4 mile time a full second slower then the GTS.

welcome to the forums mate, but falcon500, give the car some credit against the GTS, its only an auto. its more like 0.5 seconds slower than a GTS if you go by the auto times, which for 100kg extra weight well placed isnt bad. they shouldve stuck the C4B in though, is that engine still single pipe exhaust?

I would think so given the restrictions on the exaust by the pseudo AWD system they are using. I being obtuse about the vehicals because people used to rave on about the idea and suprise suprise when the car came out with it it has some huge limitations on it (engine and gearbox) and is a shit load slower. I wasnt impressed with the concept that had the holden fans in my engierring class ohhhing and arrring and it still fails to impress me now that it seems to be a production reality. Oh and for those of you who have just joined us im not a big fan of AWD as a whole i usually refer to it as dead weight and other names much like that.

well a good AWD system wouldnt have dead weight as its aiding traction in a way. compare an auto GTS weighing 1800kg to the coupe 4 and i wouldnt be too surprised if they were about even performance wise, with a 30kw power gap. maybe its not that big an engineering feat, but its started the next era in australian muscle cars, and unless ford bring out something to really impress, holden and HSV are gunna have the first blow in the fight

Well no System is without its flaws look what AWD does to the very small suberuWRX (1400 odd kilos there) and it still doesnt cahnge the fact its not practical for dayly driving. Ipersonally would be sprised if they are simlar performace wise and i think itll be a little while before it can be proven either way i also dont think the car would be very popular for most racing classes as its restriceted to only auto. and that still doesnt change the fact its worth 95k. And rember the Holden version is not AWD its Quad drive apprenbtly there is a diffrence (the chances are its the torque split thatmakes the cars equiped with it behave more like RWD)

quad drive is just a patented name for the hardware used. its still All Wheel Drive, which in turn is still a marketing spin off from 4 Wheel Drive. look what the AWD equipment does to a WRX? 0-100 in 5.7 for 168kw, thats pretty impressive.

The only differnce between AWD and the Holden cross-trac (Quaddrive, whatever) is that the system uses a tourque splitter in the middle to send 32% of the engines tourque to the front 2 wheels and 68% to the back 2 wheels. Then, if say the front left wheel "spins" faster then the front right wheel, the system uses ABD (automatic braking differntial) to redistribute the tourque to the other wheel. It is quite a good system, but it sounds terrible when it is used. The VZ version of the AWD's will also incorporate a new ESP algorithm which works much better.

practically all AWD/4WD's have their torque split unevenly to give either a front or rear bias, even landcruisers do and come with a centre diff lock to set it to an even front/rear distribution. the basic hardware like the centre diff come from the hummer H2 and holden made a couple of changes to it before putting it in

Thread Information