Thread: Canadian submarines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canadian submarines

Well it looks like the Edmonton Mall submarines are better than the latest acqusition by the Canadian navy.

They just paid $300milllion for a sui, took delivery last week and set sail today.
    Got 2 engine fires within 500 miles of departure.
    Hope they took out the extended warranty option

Pic shows it stricken in the Atlantic off Ireland today.

Also, check out the name of the Canadian Navy guy

EDIT: Sadly a Lt Chris Saunders has been reported to have died from the smoke inhalation and 2 others are hospitalised. Thoughts go to them and family.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-07-2004 at 01:14 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Heard about that this morning, bit of a shame really bet they are real pissed off
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

hold on, Matra did you get that from newsround?because the layout looks very similar.....
    UCP's most..erm...person..that ..does that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by 360_challenge
    hold on, Matra did you get that from newsround?because the layout looks very similar.....
    Hangs head in shame -- yup

Honest, the TV was on my PC, the kids turned on Newsround - HONESET
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Hangs head in shame -- yup

Honest, the TV was on my PC, the kids turned on Newsround - HONESET

haha i was gpnna post that, but i thaught "no he wouldnt do that ... would he ??"
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

I still don't understand why Canada would ever buy submarines... serious waste of tax money if you ask me.

All our military does these days (rightfully so) is carryout peacekeeping missions. Are there any hostile clashes where two nations have their boats targeting each other? Hell no! So why on earth would we want subs?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I still don't understand why Canada would ever buy submarines... serious waste of tax money if you ask me.
    Venezuela just spent US $5 Billions on war planes... And the country is hungry, what a stupid waste of money too.

Well it looks like the Edmonton Mall submarines are better
    Heard about that Mall and saw a pic on the guiness book. I believe it is the biggest of the world right?

When I told that to my GF she said "We HAVE to go there"

Why exactly did Canada buy submarines?
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

good for special operations missions. hard to detect.....can get in real close...get a guy or a team of them in secretly......
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

yeah, but why exactly would they want to do that stuff??
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

it was reported on the news that a Lt Chris Saunders died as a result of the injuries and smoke inhalation from the fires.

Sad.....

What the UK news reported was that these submarines had been troublesome since they were first built. So along with the Q of why does Canada need subs the question of why buy unreliable second-hand British ones ?

I can see why the Canadians or any other seafaring nation would want to have at least some hunter-killer submarines. There are a LOT of subs from many nations under the seas these days, many capable of launching land attacks with ballistic or cruise missiles. And the arctic regions are one of their favorite places to be. Canada would be irresponsible not to keep an eye out up under the ice caps to protect her territorial waters.

The attitude of "No one would ever attack US, would they?" has proven very dangerous to many nations throughout recorded history. It's unfortunate that they seem to have gotten a lemon, but the Canadian Defense Ministry is doing its job, protecting Canadian territory and making sure they are prepared to protect it 5, 10, 15 years from now when the world political situation may look very different. A military's job in peacetime is to prepare for the worst.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

I think they should have some subs and navy things but other than that i dont even think they need a military. Theyre pretty safe from the north.... and down here we have way stupider things to be dealing with. So the only way I could see then getting atacked is by sea from east asia or western europe or by air, which you cant really defend against.
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Thread Information