Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Sei cilindri
    Have to agree with Henk on this
    They're vulgair imitations of the splendid original
    They're not classics, nor will they ever be. Just ugly looking pimp rides with horrible handling
    High prices don't make a car good. It just means that there are a lot of people with bad taste out there.

Nevertheless if anybody here likes them you're most welcome but post about them in the american car section, not in the classics.........

Just my two cents (did I manage to offend just about everyone ?
    )
    Wow, what a stupid post. Have you ever been in one of these? They are not meant to be design classics, never were. They were designed by design legend Brook Stevens to be a more affordable luxury car, namely a more affordable Mercedes. They are good performers for their size and weight, are very comfortable and when produced they were fairly inexpensive. This is no way a 'pimp ride' this was a luxury car (HAND BUILT) that wasn't designed for the masses, and WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED AS 1 (ONE) FOR 1 (ONE) PERSON, AN ENTREPENEUR IN MILWAUKEE, HIS HOMETOWN. God I hate it when people are stupid.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

I would call these cars 'designed', they were more of an 'adaptation'.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    Wow, what a stupid post. Have you ever been in one of these? They are not meant to be design classics, never were. They were designed by design legend Brook Stevens to be a more affordable luxury car, namely a more affordable Mercedes. They are good performers for their size and weight, are very comfortable and when produced they were fairly inexpensive. This is no way a 'pimp ride' this was a luxury car (HAND BUILT) that wasn't designed for the masses, and WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED AS 1 (ONE) FOR 1 (ONE) PERSON, AN ENTREPENEUR IN MILWAUKEE, HIS HOMETOWN. God I hate it when people are stupid.

hehe : "did I manage to offend just about everyone ?"
    mission accomplised I would say !

Give me some credit though,I know what I am talking about .
    I HAVE driven two Excalibers over the years , and the handling IS horrible .
    But aside from that I do not think you will disagree with me on the fact that it isn't a classic and it isn't a design as Wouter pointed out
    It is a copy or adeptation if you will .

And to put the record straight: It was never designed as an affordable Mercedes .
    He originally did it as a showcar for Studebaker at the time (called Mercebaker) and not for one person. From there on it evolved and his sons made it into a business
    Ofcourse everyone is entitled to his opinion but to me and many others it is revolting
    Having said that I have to say that, over the years I have had people enquiring about wanting to hire a Excalibur with me.
    Fortunatly I can reply I do only classics........
    www.classicpassion.nl

Quote Originally Posted by junaman
    Here are some more Excaliburs
    OH BOY!! that is a nice looking pic....I love classic cars there is something about this cars you just cant get enough of it..
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by Sei cilindri
    hehe : "did I manage to offend just about everyone ?"
    mission accomplised I would say !

Give me some credit though,I know what I am talking about .
    I HAVE driven two Excalibers over the years , and the handling IS horrible .
    But aside from that I do not think you will disagree with me on the fact that it isn't a classic and it isn't a design as Wouter pointed out
    It is a copy or adeptation if you will .

And to put the record straight: It was never designed as an affordable Mercedes .
    He originally did it as a showcar for Studebaker at the time (called Mercebaker) and not for one person. From there on it evolved and his sons made it into a business
    Ofcourse everyone is entitled to his opinion but to me and many others it is revolting
    Having said that I have to say that, over the years I have had people enquiring about wanting to hire a Excalibur with me.
    Fortunatly I can reply I do only classics........
    No. The first Excalibur was designed in 1952, the Excalibur J. It was based off the Kaizer-Frazer J chassis. 3 were built, 2 using Willys engines and the other using a Kaizer-Frazer engine. It was designed for and with James Floria. The task was to create the frist midwestern racing team/club. For under a thousand dollars for each car, it raced 25 and placed 1st 9 times. Against Porsches, Ferraris.......Stevens intentoins was to develop the race car and then be able to mass produce them as an economical people's car.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    I would call these cars 'designed', they were more of an 'adaptation'.
    Is a Caterham classed as a classic?
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    No, but the Lotus is
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    No, but the Lotus is
    That was my guess.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    when was the Lotus 7 built? This was 1951/2. (design began in 51, completed in 52).

From Montreal...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information