Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driveline Question

There have been a few good responses to your question of engine and driveline for your Kelmark. I'll advocate two items that I have seen from other replies:

The Ford 2.3 Turbo is an excellent motor for this application. As for power, it makes more torque than it does horsepower, which makes it a blast to drive. And as far as tuning of these engines goes, Esslinger Engineering makes almost any part imaginable for them, and has recently released a crate motor with gauranteed horsepower ratings. A bit heavy from the factory, but with all forged internals ('87-'88 Thunderbirds), these engines are very strong and well worth looking into. I found a fresh rebuilt .030. over at Ford Nationals in Carlisle, and only paid $375 for it. I've recently installed it in a Locost 7 replica with an Esslinger Aluminum D-Port Head, which frees up almost 40 pounds of weight, and is said to be capable of nearly 500 horsepower at 18-20 psi, provided that you have the fuel to back it up. The car is not driveable at this point, but 500 bhp in a 1300 pound car seems like it should be fun...right up to the point that I hit the wall.
    Your mention of the Porsche trans leads me into the option of the VW Beetle trans, as it is commonly paired to the 2.3 turbo in sand rail applications with outstanding results. As we all know, the trans can be substantailly reinforced for a minimal budget, and has proven its' worth over the last 30 years. Not the most technologically advanced (compared to the NSX option), but economically correct and incredibly dependable seem to work in my book.

Check out Esslinger at ESSLINGERRACING.COM if you are interested in this option.

car has since been sold, now i'm dealing with my audi coupe. that's a good recommendation though, and if i still had the car, it's probably what i would do.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Thread Information