Thread: SLR Speed Thrills for Professional Tennis Players

SLR Speed Thrills for Professional Tennis Players

Text & photos courtesy DaimlerChrysler AG

Ferrero, Nalbandian and Srichaphan join Mercedes McLaren test driver de la Rosa in an SLR – "An incredible experience "
    First pleasure and then work: Three of the world's best tennis players from three different continents experienced the thrills accompanying very high speeds in the co-driver's seat of a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. "It was an incredible and unforgettable experience. A pure rush of adrenalin," said the local Spanish hero, Juan Carlos Ferrero, after doing two laps with Mercedes McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa. And just like Ferrero, both Argentine's top player, David Nalbandian, and Asia's best tennis professional Paradorn Srichaphan felt very safe in the black racer with 626 horse power under its bonnet.

"Pedro is an extremely skilful driver. I did not feel at all frightened although the speed was really very extreme," commented Nalbandian, who is No.10 in the Champions Race 2004 at the moment, "I was absolutely impressed just how well the car could be controlled despite such an extremely high speed." The 2002 Wimbledon finalist returned the favor later by giving the Spanish racing driver a bit of tennis practice at the Pabellon de Cristal, the venue of the Madrid Masters tournament.

After the trip to the former Formula One track in Jarama, Thailand's national hero, Srichaphan, declared that he felt the experience was like "venturing into a new dimension of speed" and added, "Never in my whole life have I driven a car myself or been driven at such a speed before." But in spite of this he remained "calm and relaxed," said the top professional, who in the meantime is the proud possessor of diplomatic passport given to him by the King of Thailand. Just like Ferrero and Nalbandian, Srichaphan made the most of being at the course close to Madrid and used the opportunity to drive a few laps round the course himself in a Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG. "But in comparison with Pedro, I probably looked more like a snail," said Srichaphan.

Last year, it was America's tennis star, Andy Roddick, who got the chance to drive a few laps round the track at Jarama with de la Rosa, and he called the trip "one of the most thrilling experiences in my whole life – even more thrilling than parachute jumping." However, Roddick, who had to withdraw from the tournament in Madrid at short notice, will also have the opportunity – just like all the other participants in the Masters Cup (15th – 21st November) to get an extra automobile present in Houston – after all, the champion of the unofficial WM will be getting a Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG as a bonus. "It would be really great if I could qualify and then win the Masters Cup and the car," said motor sports fan Nalbandian.

The background of the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
    With the latest Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, the Stuttgart automobile manufacturers and their Formula One partner McLaren have once more proved their years of experience in developing and building high-performance sports cars. The two-seater with its striking winged doors and style elements taken from the Formula One Silver Arrow continues the myth of the legendary SLR racing car of the fifties. As it is fitted with the latest racing car technology and Mercedes pioneering innovations which guarantee a high degree of safety and make it suitable for daily use, the SLR McLaren is making a name for itself as the Gran Turismo of the 21st century.

The newly developed V8-compressor engine produces 460kw/626 HP and accelerates the sports car in just 3.8 seconds from zero to 100 km/h. Its top speed is about 334 km/h. Just like the McLaren-Mercedes Formula One racing cars, the bodywork of the new SLR is made of super-light carbon fibre material (CFK) which has extremely good energy absorption, thus providing a high degree of safety for driver and passengers. The SLR is first car to go into standard production with a crash-front structure made completely of carbon fibres.

The three letters S L R have an almost magical effect on fans of cars and motor sports. The original meaning of the initials was "sporty", "light" and "racing" and the legendary cars which Mercedes-Benz raced in 1955 were designed according to these principles. Their drivers achieved spectacular double and triple successes at the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio or Tourist Trophy. Juan Manuel Fangio, Stirling Moss, Karl Kling, Graf Berghe von Trips, Hans Hermann, Desmond Titterington and John Cooper Fitch sat in the SLR cockpits and made these Silver Arrows the most successful racing cars of the season. The later coupé version, the 300 SLR, was constructed for use on normal roads and it combined the design and technology of the winged door 300 SL, which had been produced since 1954, with the technology of the successful racing model. With a speed of 290 km/h, it was the fastest sports car of its time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i think im gonna start playin tennis!!!

thats a damm cool, fast, sleek car

Black SLR!!!!*drool*

i play tennis better tha guy and mercedes didn't envite to ride in a slr .... oh its maybe because i'm only 14
    Fun is not a straight line

UCP's only lancia lover ....

o_O
    slr....aww.... nice nice nice
    my fav car. lol i got to sit in one at the car show.

Quote Originally Posted by illusionest
    o_O
    slr....aww.... nice nice nice
    my fav car. lol i got to sit in one at the car show.
    Its my favorite car too (just read my signature) its so beautiful...
    Lucky guy, i didnt sit in one.....yet .

AAUURGGAAA beast alert beast alert yeah me too im gonna start playing tennis too!!!!!! thats stunning *MEGA DROOL* pffffff last pic looks like citreon is left out
    There is 3 people on a boat with loads of children running around it, the 3 people are: 1. Bob geldof, 2. Ozzy Osbourne, and 3. Micheal jackson, they're sailing out for the G8 live aid, they've hit a rock and they're sinking, bob says: "save the children!" ozzy says: "Fuc the children!"

Micheal says "have we got time?"

Thread Information