Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's broadband like?!?

indeed, i was on 200mbf or 2 months!!!!!

I'm so glad I don't have any d/l or u/l limits. I wouldn't be able to survive with all these people siphoning vids off me.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

wow thats crap. i probably do more than that by just browsing/emails!!
    halo 2 - november 9

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    I'm so glad I don't have any d/l or u/l limits. I wouldn't be able to survive with all these people siphoning vids off me.
    haha yeah thats right, you have a whole pile of top gear videos

i have a 12 gig limit now, and usually i use up around 8 gb, but if i find a site with heaps of good videos i usually get pretty close to the 12 gig limit
    halo 2 - november 9

4.1 Mbps connection, 5.1 in november

download top at 600 kb sec, upload at 100kb/sec.

Broadband is fantastic. Much better than dial up, doesn't tie up the phone, faster...

broadband is dialup on steroids...I detest cable, in my area there's only one provider for cable internet and the service is down 2 or 3 times a month...
    GO CANADA
    37 Courageous RCSCC
    Retired Chief Petty Officer First Class

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Well, to be honest, it doesn't surprise me that you step out of your age bracket on things like this. You're too hip for you age, Henk.
    If it weren't for UCP I probably would still be on VHF. I just had to hike along
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

How do they install it?

Quote Originally Posted by pimp_squeak
    broadband is dialup on steroids...I detest cable, in my area there's only one provider for cable internet and the service is down 2 or 3 times a month...
    Yeah, I've read reviews online about cable being down. Comcast here in Indianapolis gets good/great reviews from what I have read; every now and then they are down, but overall no problems. Besides, my dial-up times out so many times some days I just about through they darn modem out the window...lol.

As for limits, it seams that there aren't any in the US and Korea; I could be wrong. I don't have any limits, but that’s a bummer Dial-up also doesn't drive up are phone bill, all us American people have to pay is the Internet Service Provider, and there are no-limits as well..at least in my part of town. It seams like you Australians get the grump, high taxes to?
    The wind that blows in the Andes.

Quote Originally Posted by @wall
    what's cable like... hmm i think my pic pretty well sums it up...

i am uncapped for d/l's 512 up u/l's

it's a proven fact that Opera can't analyze the download speed right (see picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I live in southern Ontario (Canada) so things might be different where you guys are, sorry I didn't mention that in my first post. And with the timing out thing, it's not that big an issue, I think I work my modem too hard because for the last couple days it's been overheating...I need to mount another heat sink on it methinks.....
    GO CANADA
    37 Courageous RCSCC
    Retired Chief Petty Officer First Class

I've been on cable from Time Warner for about 3 years now, can't imagine life without it. I've got two laptops (one mine, one work, soon to be 2 for work), so I have a wireless network in my apartment with a Netgear router so that all the computers can be online. Nothing like sitting on the couch surfing on one machine while the other downloads....ahem....large media files. Of course a setup like this would be impossible on dialup.
    Having instant access to email, weather, etc., and having IM up all the time, it spoils you quick.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

I was paying around $40 per month for dial up. My wife found a deal where you get your phone bill at a certain rate, which she said was chaeper than what we currently paid, and 500mb (which aint enough) at 128mbs for an additional $14 per month. Although I eat up the 500mb quickly it reverts back to dial up after that and it costs no more for the use.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I've had the cable modem for about 4 years. It costs me about $45 a month. My longest outage during our three hurricanes was about 3 hours. I have nothing but good things to say about my service.
    Chaos is the natural order

3 words: Couldn't Live Without!
    www.supercarfreak.net
    the best of automotive and general talk!

Thread Information