Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My E30 Drift Machine Project

My E30 Drift Machine Project

ok, ive come to the conclusion that i want to make my '89 325is into a drift machine. The only luxuries i plan to keep are the backseats, carpet, doorpanels, and perhaps the aircon. The only mods i have so far are a Z3 shortshifter, K&N cone, ebay chip, and in the mail is an Ansa exhaust. I plan on removing the sound system, obc, and any other stupid electronics.
    My last car ($1100 87 325is) was a beater that i would "drift" in the rain and on gravel roads all the time...so ive had experience driving an E30 sideways, but i want my '89 to have a more serious setup than the rusty $100 Eibachs and old original shocks on my 200k mile (im guessing since the odometer was broken) '87.
    I know that i want to concentrate on making the rear end stiff and making the front end grip. I dont have too deep of a budget so heres my short-term plan:

-upgrade rear shocks
    -upgrade rear shock mounts
    -lowering springs front and rear
    -rear shock tower brace
    -upgrade fuel injectors
    -upgrade spark plugs, wires

so does anyone have any advice or suggestions regarding which specific parts to get or where to get them

pics of the '87
    Attached Images Attached Images

cool drifts, but uhhh on public roads?

not really all that smart...
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by BMW325
    ok, ive come to the conclusion that i want to make my '89 325is into a drift machine. The only luxuries i plan to keep are the backseats, carpet, doorpanels, and perhaps the aircon.

My last car ($1100 87 325is) was a beater that i would "drift" in the rain and on gravel roads all the time...so ive had experience driving an E30 sideways, but i want my '89 to have a more serious setup

I know that i want to concentrate on making the rear end stiff and making the front end grip. I dont have too deep of a budget so heres my short-term plan:

-upgrade rear shocks
    -upgrade rear shock mounts
    -lowering springs front and rear
    -rear shock tower brace
    -upgrade fuel injectors
    -upgrade spark plugs, wires

so does anyone have any advice or suggestions regarding which specific parts to get or where to get them

Yes. I Suggest you learn what makes a car drift. Like an LSD perhaps. otherwise all those mods worth nothing.
    Not even a car with 400bhp can drift whithout an LSD.

A 325 with a LSD doesn't need gravel or rain. It does it on tarmac.

But I don't think you'd like to make your road car a drift car, because drifting will demand too much from it, causing too much costs for a car you need to be running all the time.

Were you really serious, or just kidding with us?
    Last edited by McReis; 10-25-2004 at 07:06 AM.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

And no stereo?! Are you mad?! You must be mad. I didn't have a stereo in my mini for a while, I was perpetually irritated and short tempered. Just can't not have music. Can't do it. ...Am I alone with this?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    And no stereo?! Are you mad?! You must be mad. I didn't have a stereo in my mini for a while, I was perpetually irritated and short tempered. Just can't not have music. Can't do it. ...Am I alone with this?
    yes, the sound of the engine is enough

That's because you don't have a BMW straight six, otherwise you'd find yourself with the stereo off al
    l the time.
    Last edited by McReis; 10-25-2004 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Yes. I Suggest you learn what makes a car drift. Like an LSD perhaps. otherwise all those mods worth nothing.
    Not even a car with 400bhp can drift whithout an LSD.

A 325 with a LSD doesn't need gravel or rain. It does it on tarmac.

But I don't think you'd like to make your road car a drift car, because drifting will demand too much from it, causing too much costs for a car you need to be running all the time.

Were you really serious, or just kidding with us?

well my car actually does have a 3.73 LSD since is the "is" model. I know that the right chasis doesnt need much power to get sideways...thats why i want to concentrate on making the frame stiff and getting the suspension setup right. Ill admit that while i know what makes a car oversteer, i dont exactly know what make a car drift well.

and yes i was quite serious; while i dont want something thats undriveable, i do want something that i can throw around when i feel like it...i know its gonna be hard to get that balance

hah, well i have a CD player that i bought from a friend a few months ago, but i never got around to installing it ( it woulda cost me $150 to have a shop do it because i have the 'premium' stock system that would require everything to be re-wired) so im used to no music already

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    cool drifts, but uhhh on public roads?

not really all that smart...
    well those dusty roads that you see were in areas where a bunch of new houses were being built, so there was no traffic

H&R coilovers. Wide tires. I'm thinking 16x9. Lots of camber. Have fun.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    H&R coilovers. Wide tires. I'm thinking 16x9. Lots of camber. Have fun.
    The wider the wheels, the less you drift.

Leave the car it is. It drifts enough with that LSD.
    A few years from now you'll be thinking: "Why the hell have I done that to my car? And now I wish I had a perfect one and can't find them anymore..."

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    The wider the wheels, the less you drift.

Leave the car it is. It drifts enough with that LSD.
    A few years from now you'll be thinking: "Why the hell have I done that to my car? And now I wish I had a perfect one and can't find them anymore..."
    perhaps...see the thing is that ive had this car only since the summer but i keep finding things wrong with it, so i figure that rather than sinking money into keeping it a 'nice' car, i might as well make it a stripped-down machine

but i know what you're sayin

i found this chart...

http://bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacgi/da...087&Section=05

Gereral setup for more oversteer:
    Front tire pressure: Higher
    Rear tire pressure: Lower
    Front tire section: Larger
    Rear tire section: Smaller
    Front wheel width: Wider
    Rear wheel width: Narrower
    Front wheel camber: More negative
    Rear wheel camber: More positive
    Front springs: Softer
    Rear springs: Stiffer
    Front sway bar: Thinner/softer
    Rear sway bar: Thicker/stiffer
    Weight distribution: More rearward
    Front aerodynamics: Less downforce
    Rear aerodynamics: More downforce

now while some/most of those are good for a drift car, im sure that not all are...because i dont want to just have a tail-happy beast that cant be controlled

http://www.driftsession.com/index2.htm

this site seeems helpfull
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Thread Information