Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1949 BMW Veritas Cabriolet

Condolences to Mrs. Hartung and other family and friends.

As weeks and months go forward it will be interesting to hear not only the story of the '49 Veritas with LeSabre-like custom tail by Spohn, but also of the other cars and all the small details of the museum inventory. There are surely "things" in there that haven't been seen in decades.

As we know, Spohn bodied many of the Veritas cars, perhaps comprising Spohn's largest single post WWII manufacturer's contract arrangement. The one Hartung owned, however, had the signature custom tail which became almost a trademark of late production Spohn customs. Is there any record what year Spohn actually did the custom tail work on the '49 Veritas chassis? After all, the GM LeSabre concept car was first shown in Europe in 1950.

I have a vested interest in Spohn customs with my '53 which is an earlier Ford chassis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Was the Spohn car sold... and was it a "good buy"?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by 49Vertias View Post
    email me direct for iPhone video update's on the Crime of the Century
    Death of Hartung's Museum and the Lost Veritas
    [email protected]
    Q. Wonder why a semi trailer is parked at the front gate ? hmmm
    Q. Why don't you go there when people are there instead of sneaking around taking pictures when nobody is there and find out whats inside. I'm sure the contents of thousands of old junk tires would astound you! Maybe that's why there also isn't a lock on the trailer!

Just a little bit on the Veritas:

In 1949 the first Veritas vehicles were produced and were capable for normal road use with the introduction of the Komet coupe which was basically a racing Veritas RS that was made street legal. Following the coupe was a much more civilized 2x2 Saturn coupe and Scorpio cabriolet.

A concept was unveiled in 2001, the Veritas RS3 which featured some design cues that had been taken from boats, in which Venturi had explored in that market at one time. Thankfully he had been well received. The concept used a BMW sourced 6.0 liter V-12 that was producing 670 horsepower. The Vermot AG was released in 2008. And production and testing began in early 2008 with the RS III. This vehicle has been spotted testing on tracks in May of 2008 and a general release date has been scheduled for the end of 2008 for the Vermot AG. This model runs on a BMW sourced 5.0 liter V-19 engine that generates 600 horsepower.

The Lee Roy Hartung Collection Glenview (Chicago) IL Museum will be Auction this Nov 3rd-4th and 5th. http://www.AuctionsAmerican.com The massive collection collected over 50 years with be thrown into a quick 3 day auction sale, piled under all the low end "junk" is rare gems waited to be removed from there bunker since parked in 1969. I can not wait to see the 1949 BMW Veritas Cabriolet Coach by Spohn have the old TV, pots and pans removed form its hood to see the engine in the light of day. Rob Myers of RM Auction just might hold the Veritas for a slight reserve and keep if the price fails to reach the $200K mark, I will be there with video phone in hand, Credit Card and $5K in pocket low bidding on all the odds and ends after the gems are sold and trailered off. I'm glad its a fast paced "fire-Sale" which will happen so fast those 3 days in November ~ They should have waited for this Spring 2012 and really taken the proper time to lay everything out in a huge warehouse. Whats the hurry ?
    Bad economy, hurry-up sale just might be my greats buy ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cash will be King in 60 days

Hartungs 1949 Veritas / Spohn Cabriolet Quiz 2011

1. Do the doors open from the front, back or slide into the rear quarter panels ?
    2. Steering wheel is from the 1938 BMW ? yes or no
    3. The Veritas Spohn body is made out of what material ?
    4. The wheels have 4 or 5 lugs or are knock-off ?
    5. Why is there a small red light in the rear center ?
    6. 4 speed 5 speed or 6 speed ?
    7. The Converitable top is made of what fabric ?
    8. Why was the Veritas found outside of Chicago ?
    9. Did Lee Roy ever drive the Veritas ?
    10. How much will it be sold for this November 2011 ?

Hartung Auto Museum pre-auction "pull everything out" happen Today Sept-17th 2011 picture perfect day Sunny cool 67 degrees with light lake breeze. The Veritas is resting behind the tent for the first time in the sun light since parked in 1970.

Photo of Veritas outside since 1970

Hartung Museum Auction Sept 17th Chicago pre-set

The big tent is up in the front yard and for the first time, Hartungs Museum is torn apart

1949 BMW Veritas last days in Glenview IL

Soon to be shipped off and restored, The old Veritas sits as the auction set-up begins to take shape

Historic Hartung Museum Auction pre- photo Sept 17th 2011

Many treasures being removed for the old building, sad Lee could not have been part of this Historic sell-off of his lifes work, I many need a new bank loan for this November Auction

1949 BMW Veriitas photo outside for Auction in Nov 2011

Unreal its outside

BMW 1949 Veritas Hartung Museum ready to sell

Sunday Sept 19th 2011 9am Chicago, The Veritas is now ready to be sold this November, Contact RM Auction's to set-up your online bidding number

Quote Originally Posted by 49Vertias View Post
    Hartungs 1949 Veritas / Spohn Cabriolet Quiz 2011

1. Do the doors open from the front, back or slide into the rear quarter panels ?
    2. Steering wheel is from the 1938 BMW ? yes or no
    3. The Veritas Spohn body is made out of what material ?
    4. The wheels have 4 or 5 lugs or are knock-off ?
    5. Why is there a small red light in the rear center ?
    6. 4 speed 5 speed or 6 speed ?
    7. The Converitable top is made of what fabric ?
    8. Why was the Veritas found outside of Chicago ?
    9. Did Lee Roy ever drive the Veritas ?
    10. How much will it be sold for this November 2011 ?
    As an owner of a '40 Ford with 1952 custom coachwork by Spohn including similar "Le Sabre tail" as employed on the Veritas, I'll take my best shot at replying to these questions. I can't answer all.

1. In earliest photos believed to be of this car (one attached), the door handle is shown and it opens from the front. The doors are hinged at the rear.
    3. Spohn did all their body construction in steel with the exception of one prototype for Volkswagen called the "Plastik" which was fiberglass.
    5. The rear center red lamp almost certainly is a brake light.
    7. The cabriolet top likely has been replaced in the early years. Spohn would have used one of the German canvas materials specific for this application such as Haartz cloth. A swatch trimming cut off was found under the seats of my car which was black Haartz.
    10. Current market value as deemed by bidders. This is a well publicized auction known world wide. The Veritas may be the star attraction due to its heritage chassis and customization by the Spohn Carosserie.

Thread Information