Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mr2 Engine swap recommendations

mr2 Engine swap recommendations

I plan on buying an MR2 sometime in 2005. I'm curious about which engines make for good swapping in the mr2, first or second gen? (if you haven't seen the first gen mr2 with the Northstar v-8 yet, check out http://www.racingstrong.com/toystar/index.asp !!)

Also if I decided against an engine swap, are the new TRD superchargers at all compatible with older mr2s?

Quote Originally Posted by Airthrow
    I plan on buying an MR2 sometime in 2005. I'm curious about which engines make for good swapping in the mr2, first or second gen? (if you haven't seen the first gen mr2 with the Northstar v-8 yet, check out http://www.racingstrong.com/toystar/index.asp !!)

Also if I decided against an engine swap, are the new TRD superchargers at all compatible with older mr2s?
    If you plan on putting a Northstar V8 in you may as well scratch that and go with an LS1. They're physically smaller, lighter, and more efficient, not only that but make more power.

I was just linking to the toystar because I think it's cool, I would not put a northstar in my mr2. I would like some sensible engine recommendations that are more muscular.

so let me get this straight. You are planning to get an mr2, either a mkI or a mkII, and you are planning to do an engine swap, just for the hell of it, and you dont know what engine you want to swap in...

well, if you get a mkII, there is no need to swap in a new engine. The 3sgte is a strong engine, and if you put a larger turbo on it, and a manual boost controller, you will get plenty of power without having to spend a whole lot of money.

I would recommend the mkI however. They are much cooler and more rare. I have a 4A-GE in both of mine. For those who dont know, that is the stock block. The blue-top 4A-GE, that which comes stock in the naturally aspirated mr2 from 84-89, puts 110hp at the flywheel. Both of my cars have the red-top 4A-GE from the corolla gt-s which is higher compression and puts out 140hp to the flywheel. If you are going 4A-GE, the cone filter intake mod costs about $10, and gives you an additional 5-6hp. The best mod you can do is cams. A local cam shop here in Vancouver, Canada cuts very very good cams for the mkI. tested before and after on a stock blue-top, these cams added 27hp at the wheels. My faster mr2 is pushing 225hp with the 4A-GE.

If you want to do a swap, I would highly recomend the black-top 20V 4A-GE. It is highly sought after, and gives really nice naturally aspirated power.
    If you have the funds, and the means, I would recommend swapping a 3sgte into the mkI above all else. They call this the mk1.5. Ill attach a really nice video of a 4A-GE mkI going against a mk1.5. This swap is so cool, and for those of you that havent seen a car with this done (probably all of you) it fits beautifly in the engine bay. If I had built up my blue car, I definitely would have gone with the 3sgte. I also believe that in Canada and the US, swapping that engine in is a smog legal swap because it is out of a later gen mr2.

You could also turbo charge a 4A-GZE if you want, but I wouldnt recomend it. It requires a heck of a lot of custom fabrication. I hope that answers your question.
    85 red Toyota MR2
    93 infiniti G20 (sold)
    86 mr2 show car

UCP's most totally hardcore crazy MR2-or-anything-else-that-runs-on-4A-G-power fan. I rilly like MR2s

Quote Originally Posted by Airthrow
    I was just linking to the toystar because I think it's cool, I would not put a northstar in my mr2. I would like some sensible engine recommendations that are more muscular.
    What do you mean "more muscular?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel
    You could also turbo charge a 4A-GZE if you want, but I wouldnt recomend it.
    Turbocharge the supercharged engine? That's a strange plan... you must be thinking of something else

If you ask me, the best "relatively easy" swap for the MK2 is a Camry V6. I wouldn't attempt it unless you know exactly what it takes, but there are people who are capable of doing this swap for you without completely destroying your funds - This guy is the all-time expert on this swap: http://bedellracing.home.comcast.net/

There is a TRD supercharger available for the Camry V6 as well, as if the extra torque wasn't enough already. It's a very reliable engine and much less prone to faliure than the 3S-GTE. More expensive to put in, definitely, but hey, it's an excellent swap to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

when I said 4A-GZE I was talking about the supercharged engine. It is already set up for forced induction, and is the preffered choice to the 4A-GE for 90% of boosting mkIs.
    85 red Toyota MR2
    93 infiniti G20 (sold)
    86 mr2 show car

UCP's most totally hardcore crazy MR2-or-anything-else-that-runs-on-4A-G-power fan. I rilly like MR2s

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel
    when I said 4A-GZE I was talking about the supercharged engine. It is already set up for forced induction, and is the preffered choice to the 4A-GE for 90% of boosting mkIs.
    But you said to turbocharge it... which doesn't make any sense, seeing as you can set up a 4A-GZE to give more boost with the stock SC anyway. You could remove the supercharger and turbocharge it, but what would you have to gain over it? It's probably less than 2% drivetrain loss from the power the SC takes, and the SC, of course, is lag-free... it's probably best to toy with the supercharger to get the best results (for the money) with forced induction.

4agze... maximum of 190hp... maybe 200hp if you can get a intercooler to work good.

4agte using a gze engine... hp of more than 300hp...

hmm... which one is better?

The LS1 is not smaller than the northstar. If it was I would have used it. It will not fit between the strut towers of a MR2... wont even fit on the MK2.

Bill Strong
    Owner
    Racing Strong Motorsports
    The MR2 Owners Club - 15,000+ users world-wide!
    www.mr2oc.com
    www.v8mr2.com

I stand corrected

Thanks for the update Bill... I know that you'd know this better than anyone else... nice new shop for the Toystar by the way - Keep up the good work, I'm a massive fan of the project!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Strong
    The LS1 is not smaller than the northstar. If it was I would have used it. It will not fit between the strut towers of a MR2... wont even fit on the MK2.
    The LS1 is physically smaller and lighter than the northstar according to GM... But what do they know, they only make the engines

We have the technology...

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. The Toystar is an interesting creation but I'd wouldn't call it a MR2. It stopped being that with the introduction of a non-original motor. Maybe another Toyota engine would be acceptable, but not for me. The engine is an integral part of a car, to replace it, especially from another manufacturer, is to create little more than a crossbreed/mongrel. I haven't had a chance to browse the MR2 forum but I'm sure a lot of MR2 enthusiasts would agree with me.

Imagine a Mustang with a Camaro engine, a Lamborghini with a Ferrari engine, unimaginable. These are automotive rivals, and everyone can see exchanging here would be sacrilege. Without a rivalry it can't be capitally punishable but it's a matter of degree.

Sure, some companies use their competitions engines but its not out of choice. Bentleys running BMW engines, Lotus running a Toyota engine, its because they were bought-out and decisions were made elsewhere. For Lotus, it was Petronas of Malaysia which wanted to bring the Elise to America and wanted a more reliable engine.

Congrats to Bill for displaying some masterful work on the project but I find engine swaps contemptible. Like putting arms on Venus de Milo, no that's too strong an example.

Nigel's got the right idea for making the MR2 scoot a little faster
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I must say PerfAdv, I totally disagree... I can see how putting a Mustang engine in a Camaro would be stupid, because there aren't any real advantages to doing so. However, putting a big V8 into a smaller, lighter car is always good in my books, hybrid or not. V8s have a massive power and torque advantage over any MR2 engine, as well as much better reliability for equal power.

Some of the most creative and interesting car's I've ever seen have been hybrids, including the Toystar, and another personal favorite, Hinson Supercars' Mazda RX-7 FD LS1 conversions!

I say, hats off to the guys with the skills and determination to put a project like this into action. There's a hell of a lot to work through - congrats to anyone who can pull it off.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 10-31-2004 at 02:56 PM.

I guess if its someone's hobby to tool around with cars, great. I mean, are they going to race the car? Show it? Maybe it just a bragging rights, middle-schoolish fantasy build up type of thing. When I see cars like that at car shows, I walk right past, as the kids gawk with wonderment at the freak.

The Pebble Beach show has a special freaks and hybrids section, most people avoid getting caught looking at those things, though. j/k
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

IMO, go with an AW11 MR2 (the older one). Just a thought, but, it would be interesting to see a 13bt rotary in it. Now that is muscular.

Thread Information