Thread: OUCH - truck meets cars in the 60s

OUCH - truck meets cars in the 60s

Going from the cars I reckon this is 60s maybe early 70d.

The 7.5 tonne truck is doing 70 km/h

PLOUGHS it's way through a whole line of cars !!!

The 2CV fairs worst
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That's incredible! Very very interesting, thanks for posting this!

The 2CV is actually completely gone by the end of it all...

Right, what did i tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by UK CARS
    Right, what did i tell you.
    It's a 7.5 tonne truck. Not much survives a fully loaded truck
    Hence the selfish growth of SUVs.

But yeah, not the best.
    However, in the 2CV's defense the site where I got that vid had a full crash test results and the 2CV came ahead of almost every other car of it's era for frontal crash. There's so little in the body at the rear it's kind of inevitable.
    ou want to see a sports car hit by a truck - it usually slices the top off the body. Not pleasant, saw an Elan many years go
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine

But yeah, not the best.
    However, in the 2CV's defense the site where I got that vid had a full crash test results and the 2CV came ahead of almost every other car of it's era for frontal crash. There's so little in the body at the rear it's kind of inevitable.
    ou want to see a sports car hit by a truck - it usually slices the top off the body. Not pleasant, saw an Elan many years go
    Wasnt the metal, like 2mm thick? Very thin anyway, what was the chasis like?

Quote Originally Posted by UK CARS
    Wasnt the metal, like 2mm thick? Very thin anyway, what was the chasis like?
    most cars are 14-gauge so thin metal.
    But the 2CV's weakness in these kind of tests was because it had the open roll-back roof and no multimple skins. So light, but 'insubstantial'. The floor had two strong chassis beams and hence the car holds up quite well on frontal. it also deformed a lot on impact, which was good for the passengers until a certain point. The truck was WAY beyond that point

I wouldn't own one without fitting roll cage.
    But I'm like that with Minis too.

However, a 7.5 tonne truck is a LOT of momentum and ENERGY.
    That'll collapse pretty much any vehicle

CLARIFICATION: yeah "holds up well" is relative to how badly it does in the vid. Compared to modern cars it crumples badly. Nice pic UK Cars, shows how little there is
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-31-2004 at 06:40 AM.

But yeah, not the best.
    If the 2CV had been put at the front of the queue the result might have been different.

Unfortunately such accidents do happen quite a lot with truck drivers seeing too late that the traffic before them has stopped (drivers playing with phones, coffemachines, navaids etc) and the consequences are grim.

A guy I knew long ago told me once that he had immediately sold his MGB after he had stopped besides a big truck with trailer and realised that his whole car would disappear underneath, but not before his head would have been chopped off.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    If the 2CV had been put at the front of the queue the result might have been different.
    Yep, there was a relly bad crash on UK motorway a coupel of years back. Truck rans full into back of stationary cars in fog. There wasn't much to see f the first handful of cars hit and they were all new.
    You can't beat the laws of physics
    A guy I knew long ago told me once that he had immediately sold his MGB after he had stopped besides a big truck with trailer and realised that his whole car would disappear underneath, but not before his head would have been chopped off.
    Yep, similar me on Mini roll cages.
    Brother was hit behind by truck which had lost control coming down hill with ice on it. Doing about 40 when it hit the rear of the mini. It was the roll cage that stopped the body being sliced and the top part removed - with brother's head no doubt.

But i know what would be worse, if you sat on it!

The Golf, with its reputation as a "safe" and "solid" car didn't fair much better.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information