Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens when the 997 911 GT1 comes out....

What happens when the 997 911 GT1 comes out....

I was thinking today, after viewing some really nice Porsche Carrera GT pictures, with it being the fastest supercar Porsche has ever created, will the new 997 911 GT1 have to settle for 2nd spot on the glamourously elegant and rare late model Porsche list?

Will the new 997 911 GT1 be better handling than the Carrera GT?
    Will it out accelerate the Carrera GT?
    Will it have a faster top speed?
    Do you think Porsche would make the 997 911 GT1 to be BETTER in MOST aspects, over the Carrera GT, or do you think the Carrera GT will still reign over the 997 911 GT1 when it does eventually come out?
    Will it look a lot like the old 993 91 GT1 with the front headlights?

Just some questions that have popped into my mind recently... I was wondering what the people of UCP care to think Porsche may do.
    Web Publisher:
    1. ExoticCarSite.com
    2. Bugatti-Veyron-16-4.com

If We Have The Courage To Pursue Our Dreams, And Transform Our Vision Into Reality, We Invite Magic Into Our Lives - Race Resort Ascari

The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing - Edmund Burke

There Are No Speed Limits On The Road To Excellence - David W Johnston

If Good Men Do Nothing, Then That Is Evil Enough

The 1997 GT1 (Street Version) is already faster than the CGT doing 0 to 60 but not on top speed.

I hope they do come out with a 997 GT1, I wonder how it would look like. Like a 996 GT1 with different lights? Or a real radical change?

well, if they want to compete in race series, they will have to won't they? Remember, its stipulated, that a manufacturer must produce atleast 25 road going versions of its race cars, before the race car is allowed to compete in races.

Besides, why wouldn't they? Porsche did with the 993 911 GT1, the 996 911 GT1, so if they want to continue racing, which is HIGHLY likely, they MUST produce a 997 911 GT1 at some stage, but that is what's got me thinking about all these questions, it intrigues me as to what Porsche will elect to do.
    Web Publisher:
    1. ExoticCarSite.com

If We Have The Courage To Pursue Our Dreams, And Transform Our Vision Into Reality, We Invite Magic Into Our Lives - Race Resort Ascari

The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing - Edmund Burke

Were the 993 and 996 GT1, rear-engined, like the parent car? Since the 997 GT1 will be a race car it'll have the advantage because of tuning. Lighter weight, race suspension, etc.

The only disadvantage I see is the rear-engine placement of the GT1. Porsche has all but banished the quirks of this setup, but IMO, it is still a handling liability compared to a mid-engine setup.

If the CGT was race-prepped the GT1 wouldn't stand a chance. Same people, tuning a V10 placed mid-ship vs. TT flat6 hanging off the back!
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I doubt there will be a 997 GT car.

The Carrera GT was going to be a prototype racer, but the project was scrapped and evolved into the road car.

So it would seem that Porsche aren't really interested in going back to GT racing, otherwise why would they have canned the project?

They are already successful with the 996 Carrera in the GT class, so there wouldn't be much reason for them to produce a new car for the minor step up to GTS.
    They would need to spend a lot of money to compete with the 550, 575, DBR9, MC12 and Corvette.

I think that there will be a few racing 997s, the GT3 Cup, RSR etc that will continue to race in national and international GT series, but I haven't heard anything about a factory effort to assault Le Mans.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Were the 993 and 996 GT1, rear-engined, like the parent car? Since the 997 GT1 will be a race car it'll have the advantage because of tuning. Lighter weight, race suspension, etc.
    The 993 GT1 had the front section from the road car, but the rear of the car was extensively reengineered to be more competative.
    The engine was moved to a traditional mid-mounted position, and had its roots in the flat six used to power the 956 and 962, putting out 600bhp.

the 996 GT1 "Evo" featured a new front axle along with slight aero mods, suspension tweaks and 996 lights.

The 996 GT1-'98 was a completely new carbon fibre chassis, still mid-engined, with a new more aero efficient body, as well as other various tweaks to the oily bits. That weighed in at 950kg, but power was only 550bhp.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I doubt there will be a 997 GT car.

The Carrera GT was going to be a prototype racer, but the project was scrapped and evolved into the road car.

So it would seem that Porsche aren't really interested in going back to GT racing, otherwise why would they have canned the project?

They are already successful with the 996 Carrera in the GT class, so there wouldn't be much reason for them to produce a new car for the minor step up to GTS.
    They would need to spend a lot of money to compete with the 550, 575, DBR9, MC12 and Corvette.

I think that there will be a few racing 997s, the GT3 Cup, RSR etc that will continue to race in national and international GT series, but I haven't heard anything about a factory effort to assault Le Mans.
    as much as it breaks my heart to admit it, i dont think there will be a 997 GT1....
    on the other hand i think that porsche WILL go racing but with a car based on the carrera GT since it is essentially a race car "detuned"chassis... imagine...CARRERA GT1.....drooling
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    The 993 GT1 had the front section from the road car, but the rear of the car was extensively reengineered to be more competative.
    The engine was moved to a traditional mid-mounted position, and had its roots in the flat six used to power the 956 and 962, putting out 600bhp.

the 996 GT1 "Evo" featured a new front axle along with slight aero mods, suspension tweaks and 996 lights.

The 996 GT1-'98 was a completely new carbon fibre chassis, still mid-engined, with a new more aero efficient body, as well as other various tweaks to the oily bits. That weighed in at 950kg, but power was only 550bhp.
    Thanks for this great GT1 synopsis After posting I read up a little on the GT1s and realized they have hardly anything in common with the 993 and 996, other than maybe the engine block.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I'd like to think Porsche WILL do a 997 911 GT1. They have to, they did the 993, and 996, so I really want them too! lol. It would be breaking tradition.

I don't see, with Porsches racing history, I can't see Porsche turning its back on Le Mans for the sake of not producing a 997 911 GT1.

So "hypothetically speaking" if Porsche does continue to go racing, they will prodauce a race version o the Carrera GT? I just can't see it happening. To me, the Carrera GT, is like the Enzo. The Enzo is a 1 off speciality from Ferrari, the ultimate track car for the road, but never to be raced competitively on a track.To me, the Carrera GT is the same.
    Web Publisher:
    1. ExoticCarSite.com

There is no GT1 class anymore.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

In that setup, there would be a GT2 911.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticCarSite
    I'd like to think Porsche WILL do a 997 911 GT1. They have to, they did the 993, and 996, so I really want them too! lol. It would be breaking tradition.

I don't see, with Porsches racing history, I can't see Porsche turning its back on Le Mans for the sake of not producing a 997 911 GT1.

So "hypothetically speaking" if Porsche does continue to go racing, they will prodauce a race version o the Carrera GT? I just can't see it happening. To me, the Carrera GT, is like the Enzo. The Enzo is a 1 off speciality from Ferrari, the ultimate track car for the road, but never to be raced competitively on a track.To me, the Carrera GT is the same.
    There won't be a 997 GT1.

IF they do return to the top leagues of GT racing it will be with a car derived from the CGT.

It already has a race enige and transmission, why would they waste that so that they could spend millions on a 997 based car that would not be as fast?

They'll still be winning the GT class though.
    Thanks for all the fish

yeap . i wonder if the next Gt3 997 will actually be called 997 GT3
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

a new gt1......hadnt thought about that when they said they were doing the new 997 series......new car on my top wanted list.....
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Thread Information