Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast

Thread: Automotive idiot stories...

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post

I saw a rolling FAIL yesterday. It was a Golf MK3 with about 12 (I'm not joking) VR6, GTI and G60 badges spreaded all over the car which was painted in (yuck) neon pink. My eyes were bleeding,
    I have a strong contender a couple who lived near me, had a Skoda yes Skoda
    It was a old one (early 90ies) and he had replaced all the Sk--a badges with Audi badges
    put a big noisy exhaust on, that didnt fit the bumper, he made a new cutout in the bumper next to the original

looked ABSOLUTELY terrible

Jens Christian

Quote Originally Posted by lancybin View Post
    hi, can we share all type of stories?
    Just Automotive Idiot ones so... go on then. Don't be shy.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Here's my own idiot moment, Years ago one of our cars was difficult to start My diagnosis was probably the spark plugs. So I removed the wires I replaced the plugs but I forgot to mark the wires and no Idea where they belong, I had to wait to borrow another car to go to the library to find the firing order. Luckily it was a GM car and the library had Chilton manuals. Any ways I was right, it was the plugs, except instead of a half hour job it took me a couple of hours and a trip to the library

^^^ oh, we've all been there and done that

In an FF1600 I did it by "first principles" when younger so I didn't "Look stupid".
    Replacing cap and new wires so had it ALL in bits with no help at all.

So with the cap off, worked out which piston was in combustion cycle and which plug was pointed at by the rotor and wired it up.

Never admitted to that till now
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Saw this Firebird the other day, went around a corner of an intersection and the driver's door flew open... dude grabbed and pulled it shut. The light changed, and as I got closer could see it was still not closed, and as he turned onto the highway rolled the window up a bit, draping his arm over to hold it. I got these shots as we merged into traffic. He stayed in the right lane, but still...

Don't want to think about potential bad stuff if anything happened in 5PM traffic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81GPj-oOoY0&feature=feedrec_grec_index"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81GPj-oOoY0&feature=feedrec_grec_index[/ame]

Is this from an anti-lag system?

If anything, he's running a bit too rich.

Sigh, not a fan of those doors, those decals, the fartcan.

lol not a wiz with cars, but managed to understand half of these haha :P

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^^^ oh, we've all been there and done that

In an FF1600 I did it by "first principles" when younger so I didn't "Look stupid".
    Replacing cap and new wires so had it ALL in bits with no help at all.

So with the cap off, worked out which piston was in combustion cycle and which plug was pointed at by the rotor and wired it up.

Never admitted to that till now
    You did well
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Just the other day, I got under my Echo to change the oil. Had the oil, drain pan, filter wrench, car all jacked up, even had the gasket on the new filter all lubed up and ready to go - and realized I didn't have a 12mm socket for the drain plug.

I also was replacing the 3rd brake light bulb, as it's burned out. Plenty of cops have seen it and though technically illegal, nobody's pulled me over. Being the good citizen I am, I picked up a replacement bulb. The assembly isn't even screwed down anymore (this car looks like it's survived WWIII), so I picked it up off the package tray and began trying to twist the socket out of the assembly. There's a stop on one side, so obviously you twist the other direction. No dice, wouldn't budge. I unhooked the pigtail, took it over to the deck lid, and proceeded to try to twist the socket out of the assembly. After several minutes of choice four letter words, I twisted it the other way (towards the aforementioned stop). Bingo. You have to have the pigtail unhooked, and the socket will clear the stop for you to take out the bulb. D'oh!

It obviously wasn't my day that day.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

A friend was passing by my room yesterday and commented on the Ferrari 612 Kappa. He said he preferred Koeniseggsegg over "mundane" a Ferrari (I don't like it either, but it's a one off so I appreciate it for its price).

I was totally confused by what he said, but judging by the stem of what he said, I assumed it was Koenigsegg.

And then I laughed really hard at him.

He's one of those hipster-ish guys that probably saw that one or two episodes of Top Gear featuring the car, so it's no surprise that he made that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Saw this Firebird the other day, went around a corner of an intersection and the driver's door flew open... dude grabbed and pulled it shut. The light changed, and as I got closer could see it was still not closed, and as he turned onto the highway rolled the window up a bit, draping his arm over to hold it. I got these shots as we merged into traffic. He stayed in the right lane, but still...
    The '77 Impala and '85 Caprice that my parents and I drove would do that sometimes when it was cold. You'd open the door and something would freeze, so it would just bang against the pillars without latching. For the Caprice I'd grab a bungee cord, wrap it around the door pulls, and leave it that way until the latch defrosted a bit.

My uncle sold the 300ZX T-Top to his wife's brother, who is a year younger than I am about a month ago.

He crashed it last week on Friday.

Looks like he rear ended a pickup or something so there's damage to the hood and headlights in stop and go traffic.

Granted it wasn't a mint example and it had been sitting for some time so it didn't run smoothly at all. However, I'm not sure why my uncle didn't "keep" it for me so that I could at least learn how to use a stick shift.

Now I have no idea when I'm going to get the chance to learn.

And that was the kid's first stick shift car too. What a waste.

^^^ Not so much an idiot as inattentive?

Had a nice racing weekend at Sebring, until one Alfa driver chose to be an idiot and spewed oil from turns 5 to 10.
    After he was black flagged a lap earlier. A couple of us spun off... and called it a day.

How inconsiderate.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Toyota Hi Lux. Nissan 180SX turbo engine ( I am led to believe), painted by owner in a shed with a dirt floor. Apparently it looks killa. I didn’t get too close. Obviously he or his mate could only manage to lift the two wheels before they were disturbed.

"A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information