Thread: Roof scoops on front engine racers

Roof scoops on front engine racers

Simply put, what is the purpose of roof scoops on front engine racers? The only thing I can think of is brakes and maybe differential cooling, but these are both rather far from the roof. As an example this bmw z3 from lbf666's racing cars thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gregvl52
    Simply put, what is the purpose of roof scoops on front engine racers? The only thing I can think of is brakes and maybe differential cooling, but these are both rather far from the roof. As an example this bmw z3 from lbf666's racing cars thread.
    Driver cooling and in case of rallying the nav as well.

That's an odd Beemer, those are full on night-time rally lamp pod and yet it looks low slung as racer. I've not seen such poor aerodynamic lamps on any endurance racer before. Are we sure it isnt' just rice ?

EDIT: It IS an endurance racer ...

ath the Zolder 24hr in 2002.
    MAN must slow it down LOTS at night
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 11-19-2004 at 03:46 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Driver cooling and in case of rallying the nav as well.

That's an odd Beemer, those are full on night-time rally lamp pod and yet it looks low slung as racer. I've not seen such poor aerodynamic lamps on any endurance racer before. Are we sure it isnt' just rice ?

Sorry i know your new and everything but this was covered a while ago.

Peter i dont think that it is Rice or atleast i hope it isnt. but i usppose in some wasy i wish it was, i wouldnt want to think that any racecar designer that makes enduro cars could come up with something that looks like that
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Whoa! look at the huge lights on that first pic! how blind can the driver be?! hahaha...
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Quote Originally Posted by r1ckst4
    Whoa! look at the huge lights on that first pic! how blind can the driver be?! hahaha...
    All rally cars have those kind of lights for late-night driving conditions.... you should see the output on them, its intense.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by r1ckst4
    Driving round a track, which doesn't have streetlights, in the dark, at high speed. Or indeed tight unsighted rally stages.

You need to be able to see a long way, hence the need for powerful lamps.
    Thanks for all the fish

are they like those new spotlights for 4WD's that provide visibility out to 1.7km? if they're that powerful damn u could probably see them from space

A scoop on the roof - basically the air intake on the roof of the car.

even Prodrive 550 has it.....I think it might be more effective than NACA beside the side mirror for directing air into the cockpit to cool the driver, modern front engine LM-GTS car(C5-R, 550 GTS, Viper GTS-R...etc) all have pretty serious driver cooling issue being with a massively powerful motor up front and pretty closed up cockpit for aero reason.....

for the driver and navigator

And for the ricer who thinks it's "cool."
    "You know what these trees and old people have in common? They're both going in the ground soon!" - Bam Margera

"The day the New York Times defines what Country Music is will be the day I shave my legs with a butter knife." - John Rich, of the country band Big and Rich

I'll be 15 on Feb. 18th, so buy me a drink! (Hint: Don't look at it as the decimal number. <smirks>)

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    Stock cars have them, but on the rear window, they cool the dif.

That's not a roof scoop, those are rear-quarter window inlets and they also help cool the driver and give him some fresh air to breath.
    "You know what these trees and old people have in common? They're both going in the ground soon!" - Bam Margera

"The day the New York Times defines what Country Music is will be the day I shave my legs with a butter knife." - John Rich, of the country band Big and Rich

I'll be 15 on Feb. 18th, so buy me a drink! (Hint: Don't look at it as the decimal number. <smirks>)

Thread Information