Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Theyre stealing out Monaro!!

Theyre stealing out Monaro!!

Hands off our Monaro!
    November 26, 2004

Page Tools

Americans like our coupe so much they want to build it themselves, reports JOSHUA DOWLING.

Holden is on the verge of losing assembly of the Monaro to the US. The new model, due in 2007, is expected to be built in one of several under-used General Motors factories in America.

If assembly of the Monaro is moved from Australia it will be a cruel blow for the coupe that was built after visitors to the 1998 Sydney motor show lobbied Holden to bring the car to life.

Once it was built, the Monaro was so highly regarded by GM's global product chief Bob Lutz that he fast-tracked the Monaro's export to the US as a Pontiac GTO. But now, because the GTO outsells the Monaro by almost five to one, the Americans want to take control of the Commodore-based coupe's assembly. Pontiac has sold 9487 GTOs in the US in the first 10 months of 2004. Holden has sold 2149 Monaros in the same period.

A Holden insider says customers don't care where a car is made as long as the quality is good. However, General Motors - and US car makers in general - are regularly out-classed in independent quality surveys.

Holden spokesman Jason Laird says GM executives in Australia and the US are still in discussion about the Monaro's future production plans. "It's by no means a done deal and there is still a lot of debate on this issue," Laird says.

"There is an argument that the car should be made in the country that sells the most [coupes]. What's most important to us is that Holden will still be able to offer a coupe to Australians. The spiritual home for the coupe is still very much Australia and Australians will still be involved in the engineering of the car."

The news of the Monaro's US assembly plans comes as Pontiac announced it would cut the number of GTOs it orders from Australia. The GTO was meant to be a big boost for the struggling Pontiac brand but sales have not met expectations.

Despite the 2005 GTO's major power upgrade (in the form of a 6.0-litre V8 engine from the new Corvette) and a more aggressive appearance (thanks to new bonnet scoops), Pontiac sales forecasts are still pessimistic.

Respected US industry journal Automotive News reported this week that Pontiac will cut GTO production by about 30 per cent next year.

Automotive News says that Larry Pryg, marketing manager for Pontiac's premium mid-sized cars, acknowledges Pontiac did not conduct enough initial market research on the GTO and misallocated inventory.

The magazine quotes Pryg as saying that the next generation GTO (which will share most if its components and body panels with the next generation Monaro) will "start from scratch with something for US tastes. We are going to stretch, but there will only be a few retro cues."

Should Holden fight to keep Monaro assembly in Australia?

Email [email protected]

Two scoops, please
    Holden is being selective about whom it sells the new, vented Monaro bonnets to after a rush from people fitting them to older Commodores. The VZ Monaro bonnet costs $984.50. "That bonnet is specific to the VZ Monaro and is designed to protect the identity of that car. We don't want to see that diluted by having those bonnets on other cars." says Holden.
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 11-25-2004 at 10:56 PM.
    I am the Stig

yup, not registered.......

check now
    I am the Stig

Man that totally sucks. Shows that GM has a total lack of regard for anything outside America. First with Saab, now with Holden....

yeh they clearly dont mind shitting on the little guy that helped them out do they...
    The Datto will rage again...

they just wanna take credit for our idea and then stuff it up in the design department with their "agressive" designs.. like the crossfire its good but i wont accept that sorta design as monaro
    once again america is takeing wots good in australia
    (i have nothing against america this just gets be a bit hot under the colar)

we'll be building the commodore still here, so i personally dont see the problem in them continuing to do so, considering the wagon, lwb and ute all come off the same line as the sedan
    I am the Stig

I would'nt panic guys, just look at the quotes ....
    Larry Pryg, marketing manager for Pontiac's premium mid-sized cars, acknowledges Pontiac did not conduct enough initial market research on the GTO
    So they'll do LOTS of US market research JUST AS THEY HAD DONE for all those cars they came up with that nbobody bought.
    the next generation GTO (which will share most if its components and body panels with the next generation Monaro) will "start from scratch with something for US tastes.
    Soo all that market research ( which failed before ) will giude their design.
    So guess what - it will fail AGAIN.
    Hopefully Holden will still be letting designers desing ( and not 'focus groups' ) and still have cars that we want.

Jeez, these people should be REMOVED from having responsibility for cars.
    Go OZ Could it be ego ? Like "Larry's" cars don't sell very well in the UK. Holden brings the Monaro and can't keep them in the forecourt long enough for anyone to get a test drive !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

and thats with your stricter emissions laws, more expensive fuels and love for higher revving engines
    I am the Stig

they were saying on the radio,that america hasnt fell in love with the Munro,the guy from holden said thats ok we will ramp up exports to Britian,at least they must appreciate subtle styling.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

well even without the US market, not only is there the UK market, theres the UAE and South Africa that take a fair share of cars.
    I am the Stig

Makes me laugh all these americans in their forums hate rice,but thats what holden had to dwith the Munro so the american public would accept it
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    Makes me laugh all these americans in their forums hate rice,but thats what holden had to dwith the Munro so the american public would accept it
    "focus groups" for you

Keep it "OZ" and we'll keep buying it
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    they probably wouldve had an easier time marketing it as a Chevelle rather than a GTO, but Bob Lutz had to have his way.......
    I am the Stig

i suppose if manufacturing shifts to US, the current model will become a collectable

Thread Information