Thread: external hard drives

external hard drives

I was considering buying an external hard drive and i have a few questions. How reliable are they? do they last long? do they crash often? What are the best companies? I was looking at Western Digital while i was at Circuit City, they seemed like they have some pretty good prices. If western digital is a good company i would probably go with them, but i can't decide on the 200gb for $100 or the 80gb for $60. If they last awhile then i would go with the 200gb one because its such a better deal but i'm not exactly sure, and i haven't looked at any other companies so if you own one or know alot about em please give me some input, thanks.

i'd go with the 200gb.
    as long as you don't move it, throw it.....and all of that while operating the hdd, it'll be fine.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

lacie makes good hard drives. I've heard they are very reliable and last a long time. I think the run about a buck a gig.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

DO NOT buy a drive made by AcomData. I've had two crash in the last year. Different sizes, different times, both crashed suddenly with actual physical failures.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    lacie makes good hard drives. I've heard they are very reliable and last a long time. I think the run about a buck a gig.
    I also have a Lacie that has proven to be reliable. My 250gig was purchased for $199. It runs quiet and cool and actually leaves a smaller footprint than my other lower-capacity drives.

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03
    I was considering buying an external hard drive and i have a few questions. How reliable are they? do they last long? do they crash often? What are the best companies? I was looking at Western Digital while i was at Circuit City, they seemed like they have some pretty good prices. If western digital is a good company i would probably go with them, but i can't decide on the 200gb for $100 or the 80gb for $60. If they last awhile then i would go with the 200gb one because its such a better deal but i'm not exactly sure, and i haven't looked at any other companies so if you own one or know alot about em please give me some input, thanks.
    Wait, are you sure these are external? Those are phenomenal prices for an external drive and it makes me question whether these are external out of the box. Or are you planning on also buying an enclosure to put these in?

Although it would be dramatically smaller than those you are looking at, the Apple iPod is also functional as a portable hard drive. I have all my stuff backed up on that and in the time I've had it I have had no problems whatsoever. Consider it, although it's probably not what you'd be looking for.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

why do you want an external hard drive?
    halo 2 - november 9

Quote Originally Posted by danno
    why do you want an external hard drive?
    External drives are great for backup or just adding on additional drive space. And if you need it to be portable, they're perfect.

Can't speak from personal experience , but a mate has a Western Digital external drive, seems happy with it Just make sure it has good airflow around it as they do get warm In terms of drive quality Western Digital are good, had several (desktop) drives from them.

Thanks for all the input guys

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Wait, are you sure these are external? Those are phenomenal prices for an external drive and it makes me question whether these are external out of the box. Or are you planning on also buying an enclosure to put these in?
    Yes, i'm sure they are external, i think there just good prices because of mail-in rebates and because everythings lowered for christmas, without the rebates i think there like 200gb for $165 and 80gb for $100

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    External drives are great for backup or just adding on additional drive space. And if you need it to be portable, they're perfect.
    expensive though. its much easier to get a DVD burner. 4.7gb per dvd, so thats plenty of space, and my burner does CDs in under 5 minutes.
    halo 2 - november 9

Thread Information