Thread: Fiat Coupé (175) 1993-2000

Fiat Coupé (175) 1993-2000

The Fiat Coupé (type 175, officially titled the Coupé Fiat) was a coupé produced by the Italian manufacturer Fiat between 1993 and 2000. The car was introduced at Brussels Motor Show in 1993.

It is most remembered for its distinctive, angular design, with unique scalloped side panels. The body was designed by Chris Bangle from Centro Stile Fiat, while the interior was designed by Pininfarina. The exterior design would foreshadow much of late 1990s and early 2000s car design, acting as a precedent to both Bangle's somewhat notorious work at BMW, as well as futuristic angular designs by other marques such as Ford and Renault.

On its launch in 1993, the Coupé was available with a four cylinder, 2.0 L 16V engine, in both turbo (193 PS) and normally aspirated (141 PS) versions. Both engines were later versions of Fiat's twin-cam design and inherited from the Lancia Delta Integrale, winner of the World Rally Championship a record six times. 1996 brought in a 1.8 L 16V engine (not available in the UK, 133 PS), along with a 2.0-litre 5-cylinder 20V (149 PS), and a 5-cylinder 2.0-litre 20V turbo (223 PS). With a 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) time of 6.5 seconds (6.3 for the 1999-2000 6 speed versions), and a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph) the Fiat coupe was one of the quickest front wheel drive production cars of its day alongside other cars in its class, such as the Rover Coupe turbo which had a 0-60 time of 6.1 seconds.

The turbocharged 16 and 20 valve versions were equipped with a very efficient Viscodrive limited-slip differential to counter the understeer that plagues most powerful front wheel drive cars. Additionally, the coupe featured independent suspension all round: at the front MacPherson struts and lower wishbones anchored to an auxiliary crossbeam, offset coil springs and anti-roll bar; at the rear, trailing arms mounted on an auxiliary subframe, coil springs and an anti-roll bar.

1998 saw the release of the Limited Edition which featured red Brembo brake calipers at the front and standard red calipers at the back, a body kit, push-button start, six-speed gearbox, strut brace to make the chassis more rigid and Recaro seats with red leather inserts which offered better support than the standard 20VT seats. The LE was produced in Black (flat), Red (flat), Vinci Grey (metallic), Crono Grey (flat) and Steel Grey (metallic). The bodywork of the LE also benefited from titanium coloured insert around the light bezels and the wing mirrors. Each Limited Edition ('LE') Coupé was manufactured with a badge located by the rear-view mirror which contained that car's unique number (it is rumored that Michael Schumacher was the original owner of LE No. 0001, however when the question was raised to him personally he confirmed he had owned one, but a red one, while LE No. 0001 is a Crono Grey one). Originally a spokesman from Fiat stated only approximately 300 Limited Editions would be built. The final amount was much higher, with numbers as high as 1400 touted by some. This angered many of the owners of the original 300 cars and almost certainly impacted residual values. The original number however was quoted by a Fiat UK spokesman, so probably that number only applied to the UK market. The numbered plaque on every Coupe features enough space for 4 numbers.

In 1998 the 2.0-litre 5-cylinder 20V got a Variable Inlet System which brought the power to 156 PS (115 kW). The 2.0-litre 5-cylinder 20V Turbo received a 6-speed gearbox and a large, satin gloss push starter button. In addition, the sills of the Turbo version were colour matched with the body paintwork. Fiat also released the 2.0 L 5 cylinder Turbo 'Plus'. This model came with an option kit that made it virtually identical to the LE, except for minor interior design changes and without the unique identification badge of the LE.

In 2000 Fiat released another special version of the Fiat Coupé. Featuring the 1.8-litre engine, it was only available throughout mainland Europe and marketed as an elegant and affordable edition. Fiat also made changes throughout the rest of the range: new seats, side skirts and wheels for the 2.0-litre 20V model, 'Plus' edition wheels on turbo models and Fiat manufactured seats on the 'Plus' that were virtually identical to the original Plus Recaro seats with the addition of extra airbags. The 2.0-litre 20V Turbo model is capable of accelerating from 0–100 km/h (0 to 62 mph) in 6.5 seconds, with a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph). When production finally stopped in September 2000, a total number of 72,762 units had been produced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 10-16-2013 at 03:27 AM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Fiat Coupe #2

Fiat Coupe #3

thanks mate =)

Fasten seat belt while seated

Fiat Coupe #3

Fiat Coupe #4

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Fiat Coupe #4
    I'd imagine you'd have more pictures than that.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    I'd imagine you'd have more pictures than that.
    Unfortunately to you, I prefer driving - and enjoying it - to messing with camera angles, lights and so on.

In short, I'm not much of a photographer really...

Taken in Klaipeda Lithuania in 2003 with a mighty Sony DSC-S85
    *sigh* I kinda miss that camera...
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Only adding super- or hyper cars to the hide out is just to boring.

This may be bread and butter, but it's in no way boring

1995 Fiat Coupé 2.0 16V Turbo

Thread Information