Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you have against Skyline's?

Quote Originally Posted by gtrjazz View Post
    CLARKSON! The idiot could not even get the car details right he used a R33 not a R34GTR by the way the R33s I have seen run high 13sec quarter miles not the low 12s high 11s of the stage one R32GTR
    Just a load of over hyped TV nonsense.
    How did the R34 GTRs get on in the other: youtubeclips against Ferraris wiped arse as you would expect
    Don't diss CLARKSON!
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

A Skyline is 6 seconds behind a F1 what nonsense see below
    1997 McLaren F1
    0-60 mph: 3.3 sec
    0-100 mph: 7.7 sec
    Quarter Mile: 11.6 sec @ 125 mph
    Skidpad: .86g
    Top Speed: 231 mph
    Braking, 60-0 mph: 127 ft
    Slalom Speed: 64.5 mph

My 1991 GTR stage one (Re-chip+ Exhaust) 0-60 3.7 Quarter mile 11.9

The reason Skyline GTRs are admired is that they deliver super car shaming performance for a production car price.
    Which is why I own two of them (Now a bit faster that quoted above )
    Your exactly the reason many people dont like skylines.
    "OH YA, WELL MY SKYLINE CAN ALMOST KEEP UP WIT DA MCLAREN F1 WITH SOME MODZ Y0!!!!111"
    Congratulations, for $10,000 you could buy and build a Mustang 5.0 that will run high 10s all day long, does that mean its a better car?

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
    Don't diss CLARKSON!
    Why not? Everything he says and does on TV is done specifically to take the piss, much of the information given on Top Gear is completly wrong.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
    Your exactly the reason many people dont like skylines.
    "OH YA, WELL MY SKYLINE CAN ALMOST KEEP UP WIT DA MCLAREN F1 WITH SOME MODZ Y0!!!!111"
    Congratulations, for $10,000 you could buy and build a Mustang 5.0 that will run high 10s all day long, does that mean its a better car?
    As we all know the F1s used for racing were modified as were the Skylines they were up against. The Fact is a GTR Skyline is a supercar and Mclaren were more than happy when they won a race or Two against it (Dont mention the losses)

Not a GTST as most Skyline imports are into Canada and Australia, which one of these countrys is Clarkson from?

As we all know the F1s used for racing were modified as were the Skylines they were up against. The Fact is a GTR Skyline is a supercar

into Canada and Australia, which one of these countrys is Clarkson from?
    The Skyline in anyform is not a supercar. It's a sports car, at best. Even that would imply it were light though. So I'd say its a GT.

Clarkson's from England

As we all know the F1s used for racing were modified as were the Skylines they were up against. The Fact is a GTR Skyline is a supercar and Mclaren were more than happy when they won a race or Two against it (Dont mention the losses)

Not a GTST as most Skyline imports are into Canada and Australia, which one of these countrys is Clarkson from?
    What does this have to do with the race versions of the cars?
    Were talking about the street versions, those are the street version F1 specs are they not?
    Your trying to compare "your" modified skyline to a stock car, and proving nothing but your a fanboy.

As we all know the F1s used for racing were modified as were the Skylines they were up against.
    Please research , all cars are "modified" for racing.
    BUT the Skylines were MAJOR
    The F1s were pretty much the long tail for Le Mans !!
    The Fact is a GTR Skyline is a supercar and Mclaren were more than happy when they won a race or Two against it (Dont mention the losses)
    What BS.
    WHere are you getting your info from ?
    Skyline a "supercar" ? Not by any accepted definition.
    ANY team is happy to win races, the rest of your comment was stupid.
    Where's the evidence of those import "facts" ?
    I know of about 10 in the UK and have seen 3 that were written off.
    THe Scottish skylines are always turning up for our trackdays and drag runs..
    You really don't know where Clarkson is from or was that a rhetorical Q ????
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Potential power outputs for a triple in 2002, but things have moved on a bit since then, you can also get a four rotor engine I think it did quite well at Le Mans

http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/pg20.htm

Back to topic,
    So far the arguments against the Skyline GTR are drawn from a Jeremy Clarkson video (with a R33 GTS he thinks is a R34 GTR V-Spec) and a cartoon Initial D . The conclusion drawn is that they are no good as they are a Fan Boy? car, the only reference to which I can find in a Bangkok tourist guide. Not a good argument
    Your GT-R might be a special car that can smoke a F1, but the majority struggle to beat a 997 Turbo unless thousands are sunk into the engine, chassis, and weight reduction.

The GT-R is a fat pig and is pretty large.

No, I don't hate the GT-R, It's one of my favorite cars and I understand its shortcomings and what it was designed for.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

The Fact is a GTR Skyline is a supercar and Mclaren were more than happy when they won a race or Two against it (Dont mention the losses)
    1996 All-Japan GT Championship GT500

Suzuka
    1st, 2nd

Mt Fuji
    1st, Rtd

Sendai
    8th, 22nd

Mt Fuji
    2nd, Rtd

Sugo
    1st, Rtd

Mino
    1st, 4th

Final Placings (teams);
    1st Team Lark McLaren F1 98pts
    2nd Toyota Castrol Team 68pts
    3rd Hoshino Racing 54pts
    4th Nismo 50pts

Of course, that doesn't mean the McLaren F1 was any good as an endurance racer, does it.

Oh, hang on

BPR Global GT series 1995 - first race of the F1 GTR - 1st, first season of the F1 GTR - 1st & 3rd

BPR Global GT series 1996 - 1st, 3rd & 5th

JGTC GT500 1996 (Drivers) - 1st & 2nd

FIA GT Championship 1997 - 2nd, 3rd & 7th

British GT Championship 1998 - 1st

Le Mans 1995 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 13th, Rtd, Rtd
    Le Mans 1996 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 11th, Rtd
    Le Mans 1997 2nd, 3rd, Rtd, Rtd, Rtd
    Le Mans 1998 4th

From 1995 - 1999 the F1 GTR had 227 race starts and 53 non-finishes, a 77% finish rate.

In the 61 races those cars were entered, an F1 GTR won 32 - 52% win rate.

I'd say that, for a road car never intended to race, and going up against pseudo- and full-prototype cars in its later career, it was quite successful.

Still though, a Skyline has gold calipers, so it Muzt be teh R0x0rezt car in teh globe111!!!eleven!! Wai better than an F1, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Please research , all cars are "modified" for racing.
    BUT the Skylines were MAJOR
    The F1s were pretty much the long tail for Le Mans !!
    The F1 had to have the engine stroke changed to be more reliable,thats quite major to me

What BS.
    WHere are you getting your info from ?
    Skyline a "supercar" ? Not by any accepted definition.
    ANY team is happy to win races, the rest of your comment was stupid.
    If enough people think of a Skyline as a Super car then the definition has to change

Where's the evidence of those import "facts" ?
    I know of about 10 in the UK and have seen 3 that were written off.
    THe Scottish skylines are always turning up for our trackdays and drag runs..
    You really don't know where Clarkson is from or was that a rhetorical Q ????
    You can get the info from the AU Skyline sites. The Skyline base model is a 2.0 N/A but the uninformed both the Fan boys and Haters think all Skylines as as fast as the GTR

Quote F1 history Page

McLarens would return though in 1999 with Team Take One purchasing McLaren F1 GTR #19R, a 1997-spec car, for competition in GT500. The competition from Toyota, Honda, and Nissan had improved since the McLaren last raced, and therefore Team Take One struggled to be competitive, achieving only a best 9th place at Mine Circuit.

But its a super car how can a old Jap saloon car win

The F1 had to have the engine stroke changed to be more reliable,thats quite major to me
    Not to be more reliable but to comply with the regulations.
    Quote F1 history Page

McLarens would return though in 1999 with Team Take One purchasing McLaren F1 GTR #19R, a 1997-spec car, for competition in GT500. The competition from Toyota, Honda, and Nissan had improved since the McLaren last raced, and therefore Team Take One struggled to be competitive, achieving only a best 9th place at Mine Circuit.

But its a super car how can a old Jap saloon car win
    But you fail to realise that the JGTC Skylines have nothing to do with the road going Skylines...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

If enough people think of a Skyline as a Super car then the definition has to change
    So if I were to get 20,000 people to decide that the word "magazine" was not correct, and only the phrasing "monthly newsletter" was correct to describe what we know as a magazine, it should be changed because it is obviously wrong?

This entire point is based in the belief of popular concensus. There are a few things wrong with this. Popular concensus usually requires a "majority vote" or the equivalent, for a reason.

EDIT: Yeah, Didn't the Japanese Gentleman's Agreement not apply to race cars? Its kind of hard to take a hardcore race-car with very few limiting factors, and say it is completely comparable to its roadgoing version that weighs more than an SRT-10 Viper and doesn't have even half the horsepower of the racing version.
    Last edited by CdocZ; 04-06-2007 at 11:58 AM.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Or maybe there are just a lot of Skyline fanboys who's ridiculous claims only changes the definition of fanboyism?
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    EDIT: Yeah, Didn't the Japanese Gentleman's Agreement not apply to race cars? Its kind of hard to take a hardcore race-car with very few limiting factors, and say it is completely comparable to its roadgoing version that weighs more than an SRT-10 Viper and doesn't have even half the horsepower of the racing version.
    Not only that but this is a silhouette racer, not at all related to the production couterpart.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Not only that but this is a silhouette racer, not at all related to the production couterpart.
    I figured something of the sort, but I was not very sure, heh. I don't know very much about JGTC
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Thread Information