Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: shelby GT500 Supersnake

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    According to this:
    http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension2.htm

"Shown above is the 3-link rear that Ford put on the 2005 Mustang. It has a panhard bar, two lower control arms, and a single upper control arm attached to the differential case. Note also the new method of mounting the rear sway bar."

Yes, they did something different.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/susp.htm

"For 2005, Mustang’s rear suspension has new three-link architecture with a lightweight, tubular Panhard rod that provides precise control of the rear axle. This technology stabilizes the rear axle as the wheels move, particularly during hard cornering."

http://www.mustangheaven.com/2005mustang/index.htm
    "Still Rock Solid – Rear Axle with New Three-Link Suspension
    Mustang’s characteristic solid-rear axle has evolved continuously over the past 40 years, and the new model takes the car’s signature design into a new dimension.
    "We talked to a lot of Mustang owners as we were developing this program," said Hau Thai-Tang, chief engineer. "They are a very passionate group, and a lot of them told us – very strongly – that the all-new Mustang had to have a solid rear axle."
    The solid rear axle offers several advantages that play to Mustang’s strengths. It is robust, maintains constant track, toe-in and camber relative to the road surface, and it keeps body roll well under control.
    For 2005, Mustang’s rear suspension has a new three-link architecture with a Panhard rod that provides precise control of the rear axle. A central torque control arm is fastened to the upper front end of the differential, while trailing arms are located near each end of the axle.
    The lightweight, tubular Panhard rod is parallel to the axle and attached at one end to the body and at the other to the axle. It stabilizes the rear axle side-to-side as the wheels move through jounce and rebound. It also firmly controls the axle during hard cornering. The shocks are located on the outside of the rear structural rails, near the wheels, reducing the lever effect of the axle and allowing more precise, slightly softer tuning of the shock valves."
    Last edited by digitalcraft; 06-19-2007 at 10:36 AM.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

i just wanna say i am really proud of you guys. good comments/opinions on this thread guys, almost none of the bs i was expecting. great opinions and comments and info. maybe there is hope after all. haha.

btw- i believe the rear suspension on the GT500 SS is pretty close to the regular gt500's, but thats not nescisarily a bad thing. a 3 link and a panhard bar are awesome for handling on a solid axle car.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Its an amazing car. I think the supercharged 5.4 is the easiest engine to get alot of power for the smallest amount of money in any new car.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

450kw! That is a giant killer! I want me one!
    Are you a fan of V8 Supercars? Then you should join V8 SuperChat! - www.v8superchat.co.nr

Are you a fan of the FG Falcon? Then the FG Falcon Forum is for you! - www.fgfalconforum.co.nr

5.4 litres! C'mon, 7L! 5.4 is the displacment of Ford Aus' whimpiest V8!
    Are you a fan of V8 Supercars? Then you should join V8 SuperChat! - www.v8superchat.co.nr

Are you a fan of the FG Falcon? Then the FG Falcon Forum is for you! - www.fgfalconforum.co.nr

Don't know how to convert lb.ft to Nm, but i rekon its alot! (of torque) I hate how we have different measurements than everyone else! :@

Quote Originally Posted by fordman6 View Post
    Don't know how to convert lb.ft to Nm, but i rekon its alot! (of torque) I hate how we have different measurements than everyone else! :@
    This page will help you make the conversion: http://www.convertit.com/Go/ConvertI.../Converter.ASP

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    i just wanna say i am really proud of you guys. good comments/opinions on this thread guys, almost none of the bs i was expecting. great opinions and comments and info. maybe there is hope after all. haha.

btw- i believe the rear suspension on the GT500 SS is pretty close to the regular gt500's, but thats not nescisarily a bad thing. a 3 link and a panhard bar are awesome for handling on a solid axle car.
    Who wouldn't want a cheap V8 muscle car?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Who wouldn't want a cheap V8 muscle car?
    judging by the kinds of comments i used to see here on a daily basis...a lot of people.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    According to this:
    http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension2.htm

"Shown above is the 3-link rear that Ford put on the 2005 Mustang. It has a panhard bar, two lower control arms, and a single upper control arm attached to the differential case. Note also the new method of mounting the rear sway bar."

Yes, they did something different.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/susp.htm

"For 2005, Mustang’s rear suspension has new three-link architecture with a lightweight, tubular Panhard rod that provides precise control of the rear axle. This technology stabilizes the rear axle as the wheels move, particularly during hard cornering."

http://www.mustangheaven.com/2005mustang/index.htm
    "Still Rock Solid – Rear Axle with New Three-Link Suspension
    Mustang’s characteristic solid-rear axle has evolved continuously over the past 40 years, and the new model takes the car’s signature design into a new dimension.
    "We talked to a lot of Mustang owners as we were developing this program," said Hau Thai-Tang, chief engineer. "They are a very passionate group, and a lot of them told us – very strongly – that the all-new Mustang had to have a solid rear axle."
    The solid rear axle offers several advantages that play to Mustang’s strengths. It is robust, maintains constant track, toe-in and camber relative to the road surface, and it keeps body roll well under control.
    For 2005, Mustang’s rear suspension has a new three-link architecture with a Panhard rod that provides precise control of the rear axle. A central torque control arm is fastened to the upper front end of the differential, while trailing arms are located near each end of the axle.
    The lightweight, tubular Panhard rod is parallel to the axle and attached at one end to the body and at the other to the axle. It stabilizes the rear axle side-to-side as the wheels move through jounce and rebound. It also firmly controls the axle during hard cornering. The shocks are located on the outside of the rear structural rails, near the wheels, reducing the lever effect of the axle and allowing more precise, slightly softer tuning of the shock valves."

Heh, same setup the fbodies have been using the whole time...

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
    Heh, same setup the fbodies have been using the whole time...
    Also seen on GM T-car (Chevette) and early ('70s-on) Commodore. Btw from the '90s both Ford & Holden buyers could choose either the basic 5-link live axle, or a low-cost RPO IRS which transformed the dynamics of these vehicles into the modern idiom

cool ilove stangs

Thread Information