Thread: Smart roadster coupe

Smart roadster coupe

I've just seen one of these parked on the side of the road on my way to work, I didnt have time to get pics, I didnt even have a camera, but it looked exactly like this one. In the flesh, the paint job looks a bit 80's almost, but its definitly a head turner, theres nothing else like it on the roads!
    What do you guys think? Is it worth the effort from Smart? They've certainly opened up a new market niche here in europe but does anyone really need an underpowered mini-car-roadster thingy? I dont think I'll be rushing to put down my deposit any time soon
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd go to the Lotus Elise instead.It is lovlier & better,in my opinion,when talking about performance figures.
    Any way,the major factor here is not the performance but the price.Is is cheaper than rivals from Opel(VX),Lotus(Elise),....etc?
    If it is it would be a choice for thousands of people who'd like to have economical & stylish coupe/convertible in their garage for less money

Economical - yes, averages 45mpg (5.5L/100km)
    Stylish - well it makes a statement, good or bad is down to personal taste I guess
    So in that sense it works, but you cant put it in the same league as the VX220 or the Elise, those cars are quick, agile sports cars, this thing does 0-60 in 11.5, and a top speed of only 108 mph! Plus it has very limited luggage space, a poor gearbox, and a lot of turbo lag. There has been a lot of technology put into this car, and bearing in mind it is only a 700cc car, the development cost reflects the price tag of around £12,000 - I think its a little over priced, and at the end of the day, its just a fashion statement rather than a serious car. Maybe I'm not seeing the bright, flowery side of having a little toy car like this, its simply not my kind of car.
    So, you have £12,000 (or equivalent) to spend on a new car, would you consider buying one? I think there is really too much competition at this price range for this car to do well.

Originally posted by Possessed

So, you have £12,000 (or equivalent) to spend on a new car, would you consider buying one? I think there is really too much competition at this price range for this car to do well.
    No of course,I'd rather go for another manufacturer making real cars for that relatively high price

When I returned my hire car I parked next to one. I have to be honest I couldn't stand the looks (from the front). Any-one driven one?

Originally posted by kinan.f
    No of course,I'd rather go for another manufacturer making real cars for that relatively high price
    Thats my point, these arent 'real' cars - they are fashion statements, I actually think they look alright, the front almost loks like a baby TVR, the way the lights are set out and everything, but it still has that ridiculous grin of a radiator grille, it worse from the back tho, somthing went wrong there. No, havent driven one, dont want to, saw Top Gear when JC drove one and it took about 10 seconds to accelerate once he'd planted his right foot - there didnt seem to be any connection between the car and driver.

very right its just a fashion statement - people will not be using this car as an everyday machine - people are just gonna buy this for the fun of buying it and touch it like once a year or maybe possibly even longer - it wouls just be in the garage - sleeping - anyway who wants to drive that hedious thing - smart makes very ugly looking cars which are really of no use at all - only the people who don't desire nice cars buy smarts - the MCC is crap - and the roadster another ugly thing like what i said - sure there is nothing else on the road because eveything else looks so damn cool and nice except this - so what if its fuel comsumption is fabulous - have you taken the stupid small displacements into consideration - this will be beaten by anything - its small - crappy - very vurnarable to gas guzzling trucks and SUVs cruising the road
    BAZOOKA EXHAUST

Thread Information