Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Price of Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Not here at least, I remember it being $0.30-0.40 less per gallon just a few years ago. Possibly because of our proximity to the refineries?
    That is odd.
    I remember asking my dad when I was little why trucks used diesel if it was more expensive. That had to be sometime in the 90s( for Cali, at least).
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    besides, diesel was made up with product waste from petrol refinement, now it needs to be itself refined to match the quality requested by new engines and emission levels.
    not really.
    Way back at the beginning PETROL and diesel were waste from the production of kerosene for lamps and heating.
    Cracking crude oil goes THROUGH the diesel phase to get to petrol.
    Nothing is "waste" any more
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    not really.
    Way back at the beginning PETROL and diesel were waste from the production of kerosene for lamps and heating.
    exactly, right now diesel is not a waste product, that's one of the reason why its cost reaised so much over years (more than petrol)
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    not really.
    Atmospheric distillation, the frist stage of refining, produces light/middle/heavy distillates roughly equivalent to gasoline/diesel/(residual) fuel oil.
    Various techniques have been developed to further crack the residual fuel oil (in the traditional sense, and depending on the API of the crude between 35-45% of the first refinery process). These processes car be geared to producing more gasoline, (catcracking) or more diesel (thermo or hydrocracking). The most modern refineries, combining primary and secondary capacity produce hardly any residual fuel oil.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

exactly, right now diesel is not a waste product, that's one of the reason why its cost reaised so much over years (more than petrol)
    nonsense, diesel was never a waste product, residual fuel oil was to a certain extent (cheap fuel for the shipping industry), but is now mostly used as a feedstock for secondary refinery installations. Demand for diesel fuel has increased significantly over the past 5 years, (all road transport uses diesel trucks) which has an effect on the price levels.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The Lowest I have seen Gas here was $1.97 last week...It was pretty crazy to see that...
    Oo____oO GT-R

$1.999 last time I filled up.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

$1.83 today, hasn't gone down in a few weeks.

I saw $1.63 at a shell station last night, and shell is usually the most expensive.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    nonsense, diesel was never a waste product, residual fuel oil was to a certain extent (cheap fuel for the shipping industry), but is now mostly used as a feedstock for secondary refinery installations. Demand for diesel fuel has increased significantly over the past 5 years, (all road transport uses diesel trucks) which has an effect on the price levels.
    not that I know something specific about the production of whatever fuel, but that was what I was told by one of my teachers. something like: creating petrol from petroleum give us a waste product also known as diesel. diesel produced just in that way is quite low on quality, and it's not very usefull for the kind of application required today, as small diesel engines of your mums' city-cars. so the better refinement of itself, together with an higher demand of diesel, leaded to the price you are now asked to pay, even higher than that of the petrol, while about 5 years ago diesel was about 0,2 € cheaper.

that's basically all that he said and all that I know about that.

not that I know something specific about the production of whatever fuel, but that was what I was told by one of my teachers. something like: creating petrol from petroleum give us a waste product also known as diesel. diesel produced just in that way is quite low on quality, and it's not very usefull for the kind of application required today, as small diesel engines of your mums' city-cars. so the better refinement of itself, together with an higher demand of diesel, leaded to the price you are now asked to pay, even higher than that of the petrol, while about 5 years ago diesel was about 0,2 € cheaper.

that's basically all that he said and all that I know about that.
    perhaps you should let him read what I posted....(or find an introduction to refinery technology somewhere...)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    perhaps you should let him read what I posted....(or find an introduction to refinery technology somewhere...)
    you know, that's another reason why I'm so disappointed of this University. I would consider moving after the first degree, but it seems I would have to repeat some exams, and that would not be fine. I'm going to get some more info about that int he near future and send a good amount of e-mail to some other University all around.

gas in america (new york actually)

is this a repost? anyway i was just noticing how gas prices have gone down so radically. a couple months ago prices were nearly 5 bucks a gallon. in a matter of a week it went down a dollar. its down to like 2.99 gallon at present. i was always grateful for what our prices were because anywhere else in the world prices are just too expensive

its like 76 cents here, hot damn, down from 1.26 a year or so ago

Just filled up for $1.91 a gal for 91 octane. So $0.50 a liter. Nice to be able to fill up for less than $40 even at 91 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Just filled up for $1.91 a gal for 91 octane. So $0.50 a liter. Nice to be able to fill up for less than $40 even at 91 octane.
    minimum number of octane here (Italy) is 95, or even more. we pay more, yeah, but disregarding of the octane. it's a whole different story.

Thread Information