Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vauxhall SS Coupe

Vauxhall SS Coupe

Anyone got pix/ specs on this car. Also the South African made Ranger SS. It was equipped with a 2,5 litre Chevy engine. Someone on another forum is looking for detail. Please help

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Do you mean the Vauxhall Monaro VXR or the Holden Monaro SS?

basically the same thing, little differences. I don't know much about this car, I've never been a big fan of GM save the corvette. I guess it's the Pontiac GTO too.
    Last edited by digitalcraft; 08-14-2008 at 03:10 PM.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

with a 2.5 litre chevy motor??? Me thinks not.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

The car in question looks like this. Pity its the only pix i can find.
    Attached Images Attached Images

maybe like this one?

opel SS Fiera 1970

Looks like it was a badge-engineered Opel Commodore A Coupe. The original German car was equipped with 2.2, 2.5 and 2.8 six-cyl. engines. The 2.5 was equipped with single carb. in the basic version, double carb. in GS trim and Bosch D-jetronic fuel injection in the top-of-the-range GS/E model. I have never heard of them being badged as Vauxhalls, but it's quite possible considering the extent of badge engineering between various GM makes. I don't know if it was a Chevy engine though. I don't think GM used the same engines in European and American cars.

As for the Ranger, that was a name used for Rekord/Commodore B cars, assembled from CKD kits and sold in various countries outside Europe with a different front treatment and trim.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Monaro SS?

No such thing as a Monaro SS.

What I am thinking that he is perhaps referring to something similar to the Holden Torana SS, or perhaps the Opel Monza? Was there ever a Vauxhall Monza SS?

Quote Originally Posted by AERO_HDT View Post
    What I am thinking that he is perhaps referring to something similar to the Holden Torana SS, or perhaps the Opel Monza? Was there ever a Vauxhall Monza SS?
    Nope, at least not in the UK. The Opel Monza was produced in UK as a Vauxhall Royale Coupe.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

willysjeep,

Could be worth a look through this SA site? There are some SA car brochures in it as well. A brief squiz found minor details on Ranger SS and 1970-71 Opel Reckord Sprint 2.5...

General Motors in South Africa 1965 - 1979 Timeline

Quote Originally Posted by AERO_HDT View Post
    No such thing as a Monaro SS.
    Close enuff

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...evrolet_ss.jpg

I am certain there was such a thing as the ss monaro, back in the 70's, it was a hx or something. As for the pic, that looks like a hk monaro with the south african spec front end. Holden and Ford Australia sent cars over there in the 60's and 70's. I recall there being something in Australian Muscle Car magazine about them.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27 View Post
    I am certain there was such a thing as the ss monaro, back in the 70's, it was a hx or something.
    Daz you'd be thinking of the HQ SS sedan, a budget-spec competitor to Valiant Pacer and precursor to Monaro GTS/4 (sedan). They were all 253-4speed and based off the stripper model Belmont (no armrests!). The SS name did not reappear on full-size Holdens until 1st-gen Commodore, the VH series iirc
    Attached Images Attached Images

In South Africa we had the Holden Monaro GTS, with the Chevvy 308 motor and the Chev SS with the Chevvy 350 motor. Basicly it was the same car, just engine diffs

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Daz you'd be thinking of the HQ SS sedan, a budget-spec competitor to Valiant Pacer and precursor to Monaro GTS/4 (sedan). They were all 253-4speed and based off the stripper model Belmont (no armrests!). The SS name did not reappear on full-size Holdens until 1st-gen Commodore, the VH series iirc
    This car was called the Chev Kommando in South Africa. It came in a 4,1 six and 308 V8 engines

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    This car was called the Chev Kommando in South Africa. It came in a 4,1 six and 308 V8 engines
    Yes and you guys in SA certainly got some (for us) unusual-spec Holdens. For example your 1967 Holdens with the big Chev 4.1 inline six, and resultant recessed firewall - while Oz versions maxxed with a comparatively puny 3.1 (186cid) Holden six. We feel robbed!
    In South Africa we had the Holden Monaro GTS, with the Chevvy 308 motor and the Chev SS with the Chevvy 350 motor.
    A few Holden models were equipped with 307, 327 and 350 Chev V8s. But the 1969-debut 308 V8 was a Holden designed/built engine and Oz also got a related 253 V8 intended to bridge the gap to our small Holden six, which never grew beyond 3.3 litres or 202cid

Sorry to highjack your South African SS coupe thread and hope you find what you're looking for

No need for sorries, this keep the topic alive. There was a vast difference between the SA cars and the Ozzie one's. We also had a compact Chev/ Holden equipped with a 3,8 and a 4,1 engine. The latter bring the luxury version.....great cars
    Last edited by willysjeep; 08-17-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Thread Information