Returning from work one morning last week, I'm travelling with the flow of traffic , about 120-125 km/h. For no apparent reason traffic came to abrupt halt, as I'm braking hard I habitually look into my rear view and realize that behind me is a BMW with the driver talking on the cellphone, he does not appear to be braking. This happens all so fast, I dive into the shoulder to avoid getting creamed and stop. I glance to my right and see him plough right into the car that was in front of me, I'm still not sure he was on the brakes.

The car that was in front of me gets pushed into the car in front of him, and that car in turn gets pushed into the car in front of him. We now have Mr."Ultimate Driving Machine" and the three cars in front of him involved in a car wreck. I'm on the shoulder thanking my lucky stars that I travel in an outside lane as much as possible so that I do have an "out" in case something does happen.

Long story short, the police show up along with an ambulance and two tow trucks, as an eyewitness I stay and give my statement ... and unbelieveably this guy from the BMW tries to shift some blame onto me, saying that if I had stayed in my lane the damage to the other cars would have been minimized !!!

He was not remorseful or apologetic to anyone involved, and in typical fashion he was also the least injured, the driver of the car in front of me was loaded into the ambulance, I don't think he was injured too seriously.

If the police had been there a few minutes later, I might've fed this guy his phone, I really believe they should be made illegal and carry a stiff penalty when used in motion, maybe cars should be built with some sort of signal inhibitor on board, where the only way to get a signal is from a factory or aftermarket handsfree unit.