Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton Faces Racism in Spain

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    There's been a recent parallel in International Cricket, where an Indian player has repeatedly taunted the Aboriginal-Australian player Andrew Symonds by calling him a 'monkey' - an obvious racial slur
    Symonds is of West Indian heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Which apart from being pretty ironic (as the Indian concerned, Harbhajan Singh, sports a fair old 'suntan' of is own) is also absolutely verboten under new World Cricket rules designed to stamp out just such an (re)occurrence, principally in reaction to Mr Singh's previous misdemeanors.

These new rules oblige an offended player not to ignore but to advise his captain, who is in turn obliged to inform the match umpire. Who must report the matter to the International Cricket Council for adjudication. Which was all done according to the book

Well the ICC referee returned a guilty verdict, with a three match ban. This resulted in the most honourable Indian Cricket Team appealing (their right) but also threatening to quit the Test and go home if their appeal was not upheld (blackmail) which would have the effect of denying millions of dollars in income to the Australian Cricket Board.

In a verdict of principle vs money, you'll never guess what the final outcome was .. Harbhajan Singh cleared of Andrew Symonds racist attack | The Daily Telegraph

Btw the future of the Oz GP is looking a little shaky
    Melbourne wants F1 GP to stay: Walker - Breaking News - Sport - Breaking News
    Singh is just a cranky little shit who needs a good clip on the back of the head and to be told to shut the hell up.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

erm... Cricket does have a lot to do with Formula 1 I see...
    back on topic, I honestly knew this would happen once he joined and it has now. Shame.
    Signature removed, no spam allowed.

Why can't people just move into the modern world? People of different races are all over the place. I can't see why they can't accept them.

Are there any pics of this?? Or is there a bit of an exageration over here?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Why can't people just move into the modern world? People of different races are all over the place. I can't see why they can't accept them.
    Blame it on long-lasting prejudices dating from the middle ages. With inventions such as the printing press, it wasn't hard for one to print publications showing the superiority of one race over another, therefore with each successive generation "learning" about this and believing it as fact, you can see why it's so hard to fix.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I face racism...from BLACK people.

No really, I get it from most-everyone that sees me with my lady...who is BLACK.

Human beings and their colors.

Personally I think this is much more to do with trying to upset/niggle a driver who the fans don't like ... and his colour made that an easy target. So not raw-racism per se but the end result is racist. Just my call on it based on an image seen in local news and having seen similar when Rangers had a coloured winger playing fro them who attracted similar references.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

As I said I knew something like this would happen. I don't like people who call race drivers n*****s or ***** (apologize for my language) let alone any black person. It's just wrong and I reckon the people who did that shall be banned from the circuit.
    Last edited by #3 Tasman Bloke; 02-06-2008 at 02:50 AM.
    Signature removed, no spam allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by JRodrigues View Post
    Are there any pics of this?? Or is there a bit of an exageration over here?
    There were some rather disturbing photos of fans in the stands...

The worst thing about the above picture is that it was taken on the day AFTER the story first broke in the Spanish press about racist chanting from the stands. Those in the picture clearly weren't ashamed by the actions of their fellow Alonso fans and decided to take it to a whole new level.

It has to be said that the response from the track, the Spanish motorsport federation, and the FIA has been swift and firm. Good to see that they have all shown an absolute zero-tolerance approach to such displays of stupidity and ignorance.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Blame it on long-lasting prejudices dating from the middle ages. With inventions such as the printing press, it wasn't hard for one to print publications showing the superiority of one race over another, therefore with each successive generation "learning" about this and believing it as fact, you can see why it's so hard to fix.
    Actually that may be taken the other way around. Uncle Tom's Cabin wouldn't be successful without the printing press.

And the Protestant Reformation would never have happened without it.

The media is a double edged sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post

Wow, took it to a new level of stupidity. Familly?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post

The worst thing about the above picture is that it was taken on the day AFTER the story first broke in the Spanish press about racist chanting from the stands. Those in the picture clearly weren't ashamed by the actions of their fellow Alonso fans and decided to take it to a whole new level.

It has to be said that the response from the track, the Spanish motorsport federation, and the FIA has been swift and firm. Good to see that they have all shown an absolute zero-tolerance approach to such displays of stupidity and ignorance.
    I stick to what I said.. Are any other pics, or is this being used to make Lewis look like a poor guy who has everyone against him??

P.S.: I had already seen that particular pic (it is the only one I've seen until now) on the day it was taken, before this topic was even open, and totally condemn it.

Lol, and F1 fans are supposed to be "classy."
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini View Post
    Stupid miserable, greasy, smelly, workshy, racist Spaniards...
    Easy now but yes there are a lot of racists in Spain.

Im not saying Hamilton handles his and Alonso's relationship the best but I think that Alonso is being kind of a baby and more or an a**hole by saying that Hamilton should have expected this. What does racism have to do with his and Alonso's bad blood? Nothing!
    ESPN - Alonso: Hamilton's comments about him led to taunts - Open-Wheel

Thread Information