Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Multimedia > Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out

Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Back to black

Delft
Send a message via ICQ to Duell
Alfa Romeo 4C Spider 2015-

ALFA ROMEO 4C SPIDER DESIGN PREVIEW DEBUTS AT 2014 GENEVA MOTOR SHOW

• Alfa Romeo 4C Spider “avant-prémiere” previews new soft-top scheduled to enter production in 2015
  • True to the philosophy of the Alfa Romeo 4C, the Spider Design Preview remains an ultra-lightweight, high-performance driving machine
  • Extensive use of carbon fibre and SMC*, as well as a lightweight canvas hood, ensures the Spider retains the Alfa Romeo 4C focus and purity
  • Stunning evolutionary design sees the addition of new headlamps, new wheels and an advanced new central exhaust system by Akropovic®

The stunning Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Design Preview makes its world début at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show, previewing a new model scheduled to go into production in early 2015. Designed by the Alfa Romeo Style Centre, the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Design Preview takes full advantage of the ultra-rigid construction and distinctive design of the coupé to produce a Spider in the truest sense of the Alfa Romeo tradition – a car that brings the driving experience into even sharper focus by allowing the sounds and sensations of performance to fill the cabin and stir the driver’s soul still further.

Structural reinforcement required by safety regulations for open-top vehicles means that the Spider inevitably weighs slightly more than the Alfa Romeo 4C coupé, but thanks to the use of carbon fibre for the rollover bars, spoilers and windscreen frame, as well as the adoption of a lightweight canvas soft top and the replacement of the glass rear screen with a continuation of the SMC* bodywork, the 4C’s structural rigidity, mechanical purity and low weight philosophy are not compromised. As a result, the additional weight of the open-top transformation has been limited to approximately 60kg.

The purposeful stance and stunning form of the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider has been evolved to ensure the highest levels of aerodynamic efficiency and downforce, resulting in impressive high-speed stability, while at the same time minimising the open-top air turbulence in the passenger compartment.

Apart from allowing the driver to connect even more closely with their surroundings, bestowing the Spider treatment on the Alfa Romeo 4C also allows the world to get a better view of what is a truly special and unique interior. Carbon fibre dominates the cabin, but not as a decorative afterthought - the monocoque of the 4C Spider Design Preview is constructed entirely from this distinctive material and is clearly visible in the centre console, door sills and rear bulkhead, for example.

The Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Design Preview also debuts a new dual-stage central exhaust system with titanium and carbon tailpipes by Akrapovic®, a company which produces competition exhaust systems for numerous motorcycle classes including Moto GP, Superbike, Supersport, Motocross and Enduro. A key feature of the new exhaust is an electrically-operated valve system which can improve performance and enhance the exhaust note at the push of a wirelessly-linked button.

Powered by Alfa Romeo’s new four-cylinder, all-aluminium, 1750 Turbo Petrol engine, which drives the rear wheels via a six-speed, dual dry-clutch Alfa TCT transmission, the 4C Spider’s performance is all but identical to that of the hardtop Alfa Romeo 4C: 0 to 62mph takes just 4.5 seconds and top speed is in excess of 155mph. In addition, the outstanding deceleration and lateral acceleration performance, and the balanced 40:60 front-to-rear weight distribution, remain unaffected by the evolution from coupé to Spider.

Complementing its show-stopping presence, new carbon fibre clamshell headlights have been fitted to the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Design Preview, as have new alloy wheels which have been milled from solid aluminium blocks and shod with bespoke Pirelli tyres. Finished in three-layer gloss white, which helps emphasise the car’s beautifully sculpted shape and masterfully resolved surfaces, the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Design Preview is undoubtedly the highlight of the 2014 Geneva Motor Show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo 4C Spider 2014 06.jpg (914.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo 4C Spider 2014 05.jpg (790.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo 4C Spider 2014 04.jpg (984.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo 4C Spider 2014 03.jpg (1,003.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo 4C Spider 2014 02.jpg (968.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa Romeo 4C Spider 2014 01.jpg (845.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Enthusiast

Auckland, NZ
Send a message via MSN to Roentgen
They fixed everything that was wrong with the 4C coupe with this. I like it.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Novice

Finally decent headlights. How hard could it have been to come up with a design better than the demented spider's face on the current car?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Novice

Very good indeed =)
Old 03-06-2014, 04:10 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpd2 View Post
Finally decent headlights. How hard could it have been to come up with a design better than the demented spider's face on the current car?
I do not understand it either. I mean, if you were going to go through all the trouble of designing proper headlamps why not put them in the hardtop in the first place as well?

True Fiat behaviour.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
I do not understand it either. I mean, if you were going to go through all the trouble of designing proper headlamps why not put them in the hardtop in the first place as well?

True Fiat behaviour.
Cut expenses? Maybe it wasn't worth certifying? Mystifying, I know.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Fanatic

Make one of headlamp design an option
Call it special something rather package
????
Profit?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Fanatic

└A & Connecticlump
Send a message via AIM to f6fhellcat13 Send a message via MSN to f6fhellcat13
If I had the money and Alfa was actually able to effect a successful return to the US, all they need to do is put those lights on the hardtop.

Interesting that they got Akropovic to do the exhaust; from what little I know of the motorcycle aftermarket, they aren't even the best out there for bike, and they don't seem to have done much of note for cars. Maybe those of a more Euro skew could fill me in on their performance/perception there.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Novice

About the headlights, I remember in evo a few months ago that Alfa specifcally stated that this was the ideal design -- both for function and aesthetics -- for the headlights. Reading the text it was clear that the author was just as baffled as I am by such a concept.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
Make one of headlamp design an option
Call it special something rather package
????
Profit?
As in, "as standard you have this rubbish headlamps, if you want proper ones it's a thousand"?

Very Italian...
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
Interesting that they got Akropovic to do the exhaust; from what little I know of the motorcycle aftermarket, they aren't even the best out there for bike, and they don't seem to have done much of note for cars. Maybe those of a more Euro skew could fill me in on their performance/perception there.
I do not know anything about two-wheeled vehicles, but I was under the impression that Akrapovic were top notch exhaust systems.

As far as I know they've done some work for BMW's M division, mainly the course cars used in MotoGP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpd2 View Post
About the headlights, I remember in evo a few months ago that Alfa specifcally stated that this was the ideal design -- both for function and aesthetics -- for the headlights. Reading the text it was clear that the author was just as baffled as I am by such a concept.
Well they are not going to say that they did a cheap, half-arsed job and called it a day, are they?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Furniture

Am I a bad person for preferring a Cayman?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
If I had the money and Alfa was actually able to effect a successful return to the US, all they need to do is put those lights on the hardtop.

Akropovic are pretty high end in terms of aftermarket stuff for EU cars...I think in terms of GTI parlance they like an order of magnitude pricier than some of US brand....
Old 03-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
Yes.

But it is the correct choice.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Furniture

East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
No. That would be the logical choice.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Furniture

I like the looks and sound better so it'd be the emotional choice for me too.

I don't quite have the Alfa fetishism the notioriuosly herd-like enthusiast community has.